87 carrera vs 97 carrera

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 01:42 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
>anything post-993 is not a real Porsche

At the risk of heresy, my 993 was the most dissapointing porsche I ever owned.
The 993 forum would TEAR YOU UP! Look, I can appreciate when people are honest. If you said that you hated my 88 Targa I wouldn't get too upset. Funny how each forum on here is radically different. I love just about every Porsche that was ever made, even the most lowly of the lowly ones, whichever those happen to be...
Old 12-20-2006, 01:43 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean by EXPERIENCE?[/QUOTE]

I mean it experience of driving the car- it's a subjective thing really. Some people enjoy the experience of driving a 356, some a 996. There's nothing wrong with it, but the newer cars have higher capabilities and arguably less involvement. My 540 will do 140 mph barely trying in 6th gear, and have handling and brakes to back up the acceleration- overall a very balanced car and a 4-door to boot, but the experience is different when I drive my 964 which is just as fast but lighter, louder, rougher riding, and different smelling- all great things. I experience the 964 more than my 540.

The ultimate car that I strive for is a Ferrari F355 spider, which you experience on a whole different level. The sounds, feel and looks of that car are an experience to me greater than the 964. It's all relative and subjective. The good news is, everyone has a different opinion of what is optimal (do I want a C4S 993 for the track, or a 911SC for the road), and what they can afford. Most of us car guys like to experience a lot and can't make up their minds, or change their cars more often than the average non-enthusiast drivers.

Bottom line is, my point was the comment was made that it was more fun to drive a fast car fast than a slow car fast...to me that statement is a matter of opinion of greg. In my opinion a car that can do 0-60 faster than 6 seconds is "fast enough" for me, and then I focus on the experience of driving the car. Other people have other opinons, and people's opinions change over time as well. That's the beauty of it all!

Louis Hong started the thread saying he found his 87 911 more true and enjoyable than his prior 97...for him, the "experience" of the 87 is better than the 97, even though the 97 was faster. That's what I mean
Old 12-20-2006, 01:46 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

apples to oranges IMO. if I had a $100K I would start with a nice 993TT and have plenty of money left for bigger turbos and other stuff
Old 12-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew911
I mean it experience of driving the car- it's a subjective thing really. Some people enjoy the experience of driving a 356, some a 996. There's nothing wrong with it, but the newer cars have higher capabilities and arguably less involvement. My 540 will do 140 mph barely trying in 6th gear, and have handling and brakes to back up the acceleration- overall a very balanced car and a 4-door to boot, but the experience is different when I drive my 964 which is just as fast but lighter, louder, rougher riding, and different smelling- all great things. I experience the 964 more than my 540.

The ultimate car that I strive for is a Ferrari F355 spider, which you experience on a whole different level. The sounds, feel and looks of that car are an experience to me greater than the 964. It's all relative and subjective. The good news is, everyone has a different opinion of what is optimal (do I want a C4S 993 for the track, or a 911SC for the road), and what they can afford. Most of us car guys like to experience a lot and can't make up their minds, or change their cars more often than the average non-enthusiast drivers.

Bottom line is, my point was the comment was made that it was more fun to drive a fast car fast than a slow car fast...to me that statement is a matter of opinion of greg. In my opinion a car that can do 0-60 faster than 6 seconds is "fast enough" for me, and then I focus on the experience of driving the car. Other people have other opinons, and people's opinions change over time as well. That's the beauty of it all!

Louis Hong started the thread saying he found his 87 911 more true and enjoyable than his prior 97...for him, the "experience" of the 87 is better than the 97, even though the 97 was faster. That's what I mean
Good points. I loved the "experience" of my 1974 TR6, even though it only had 100 horsepower. Another friend said that he could beat me in his WRX Wagon if I bought the Boxster S, but I argued that the Boxster was more fun.

Best scenario would be a really fast car with the driving experience. McLaren F1 anyone?
Old 12-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats why i bought a 86 cab the experience nothing more.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
The 993 forum would TEAR YOU UP! Look, I can appreciate when people are honest. If you said that you hated my 88 Targa I wouldn't get too upset. Funny how each forum on here is radically different. I love just about every Porsche that was ever made, even the most lowly of the lowly ones, whichever those happen to be...
It always makes me chuckle when I read these comments. Firstly they are true and very sad, but I am always reminded of how very different things would have been if Studebaker had not run out of money in the 1950s. The second Porsche into production after the 356 would have been the 575, a four-door, compact sedan with a Porsche V6 water-cooled motor.
For the record I do not agree with anyone who says that the 996 lacks feel and all the other stuff that is thrown at it. The 996 is a damned fine piece of machinery.
I was thinking of the title "Porsche 996 The Essential Companion" and with the sub title "The Empire Strikes Back" for my new book which is now underway.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:20 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

993 is the pinicle of air cooled development, to each his own when it comes to opinion, but I think its the best "911" ever made to date as far as power, comfort and handling ability from new

997 is a more muted, operator friendly car, where the -89 is a more driver input required car. two completely different cars, yet similar.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:47 PM
louis hong
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Greg about the 993. It was also my dream car. The most beautiful car on the road in my opinion. But I enjoyed looking at it more than driving it. It did not drive as beautiful as it looked. 1987 carrera is not as pretty but somehow it just feels right. Just my thoughts as I fall deeper into the porsche world.

Quick Reply: 87 carrera vs 97 carrera