Default NY Times article about Porsche's rumored takeover of VW

Hope this link works without login:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/au...ss&oref=slogin
Old 12-08-2006, 10:58 AM
RacingBeat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting read...

wende is onto something i think, improving the engineering and quality could do a lot for vw. competing globally with toyota is what it comes down to....gm and ford's troubles make for good timing.

but...i could have done without this inane comment: Certainly, it brings together two starkly different brands, the utilitarian “people’s car” and the rich man’s toy, that nevertheless share a common history.

psst, ny times......there's a heck of a lot better way to describe porsche and it's reason for being. hint: racing
Old 12-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I'm all for the success of Porsche, but bigger is not always better. When I went to Zuffenhausen a couple months ago, I marveled at Porsche's modest headquarters. It's almost like they don't care of what they look like as long as they prove themselves by building a no-compromise car. I wouldn't want to see that changed due to misdirected priorities...
Old 12-08-2006, 02:30 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

no matter who Porsche owns or does not own, the collaboration between Porsche & VWAG has generally always been a good thing for all 3 brands...

I just read a review of the 997 GT3RS. Now THAT is a 'rich man's toy'. My SC is a fun,affordable,and for me (no kids, just me) a sensible car to own. People think 'rich' when they see it. They have no clue that it cost barely more than a loaded Civic or Corolla to obtain. Now, of course, upgrading and maintaining, that's a different story ! ;-)
Old 12-08-2006, 03:09 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't agree that a GT3 RS is merely a rich man's toy. A better description is as in the fine Porsche tradition of dual-use sports cars that can win an enurance event, an autocross, be driven cross country in Grand Touring manner AND driven on a daily basis for basic transportation. It is on the lower end of exotic cars (can we agree it is an exotic?) in terms of retail price. More than any Porsche since its namesake, it reminds me of the '73 RS. Since some rich guys buy it as projection of their self-image, that undoubtedly becomes part of PAG's marketing& branding, but it does not make the underlying HW a toy - at least to me.

Good article. We are observing the transition to the "4th Generation" of Porsche (Ferdinand / Ferry / the boys & Cousin Piech / & now..?}. The exigencies of the modern auto industry & professional management operation drive us toward growth in order to survive - PAG must grow & the VW-Audi empire is the chosen & logical direction. PAG will continue on this track until there is a significant setback. That point in time, almost inevitable, will be a dangerous one for traditional Porsche enthusiasts. As much as we bemoan the direction of Porsche product development since the introduction of the 911, they still make very nice (if pricey, but 'twas ever thus) sports / GTs that compete.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:10 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"People think 'rich' when they see it."

If I had a buck for every time one of my friends says "business must be good" when they see my 911SC. I don't have the heart to tell them I paid 9K for it
Old 12-08-2006, 03:12 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DB_NC_83SC
I just read a review of the 997 GT3RS. Now THAT is a 'rich man's toy'. My SC is a fun,affordable,and for me (no kids, just me) a sensible car to own. People think 'rich' when they see it. They have no clue that it cost barely more than a loaded Civic or Corolla to obtain. Now, of course, upgrading and maintaining, that's a different story ! ;-)
Ain't that the truth! I get all kinds of comments about my SC as well. It is a luxury owning a car like that due to use restrictions and maintenance costs and all, but you are right...you're into a GOOD one for less than Civic money!

Makes me wonder sometimes why I just don't out and buy an older Chevy Suburban (for the workhorse), a nice 1989 Mercedes 560 SEC or something like that for $10,000 or so (a former $80,000 car in 1989 dollars), maybe a Jag XJ6 Series III (saw a nice restored one for $8,000), and keep the 911 (mine was around 15 when I bought it, lots into it since then..). You could have a stable of unbelievable machinery sitting in your driveway for less than $40,000!
Old 12-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ked
I don't agree that a GT3 RS is merely a rich man's toy. A better description is as in the fine Porsche tradition of dual-use sports cars that can win an enurance event, an autocross, be driven cross country in Grand Touring manner AND driven on a daily basis for basic transportation. It is on the lower end of exotic cars (can we agree it is an exotic?) in terms of retail price. More than any Porsche since its namesake, it reminds me of the '73 RS. Since some rich guys buy it as projection of their self-image, that undoubtedly becomes part of PAG's marketing& branding, but it does not make the underlying HW a toy - at least to me.

Good article. We are observing the transition to the "4th Generation" of Porsche (Ferdinand / Ferry / the boys & Cousin Piech / & now..?}. The exigencies of the modern auto industry & professional management operation drive us toward growth in order to survive - PAG must grow & the VW-Audi empire is the chosen & logical direction. PAG will continue on this track until there is a significant setback. That point in time, almost inevitable, will be a dangerous one for traditional Porsche enthusiasts. As much as we bemoan the direction of Porsche product development since the introduction of the 911, they still make very nice (if pricey, but 'twas ever thus) sports / GTs that compete.
And it will be interesting to see how they will deal with the flat-6 size and power limitations. More and more P-cars being built today do not have the engine in the rear, but I doubt they will make any mistake by changing the 911. But they will have to deal with it. Interesting indeed. My vote is to start lightening the car instead of adding cylinders...
Old 12-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Funny to think that Porsche buying VW would give them control of Lamborghini, no to mention Bentley and Bugatti. Talk of buying Europe's largest car manufacturer sure sounds different than the older days of Porsche just talking about how to stay independent.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:26 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ulrichd
"People think 'rich' when they see it."

If I had a buck for every time one of my friends says "business must be good" when they see my 911SC. I don't have the heart to tell them I paid 9K for it
You could tell them 'do your research and you too can have one' ;-)
Old 12-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick964
Funny to think that Porsche buying VW would give them control of Lamborghini, no to mention Bentley and Bugatti. Talk of buying Europe's largest car manufacturer sure sounds different than the older days of Porsche just talking about how to stay independent.
And remember when they almost went out of business a couple decades ago? Well, maybe a slight exaggeration...
Old 12-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ulrichd
...I don't have the heart to tell them I paid 9K for it ...
I don't blame you one bit, that's a steal. But for me, I feel as though I'm obligated to tell them that how little I paid for mine. All these people running around thinking that used Porsche need to be mortgaged makes the rich stigma all the more difficult to get rid of. Alternatively, when my coworkers see the car, I don't want them to think that I'm getting these massive bonuses at the early age of 27, when in fact it's not true.

Also, I find that when people learn how "affordable" these used cars can be, the intimidation factor starts to wear off and their ears perk up. They start asking questions. Most people like Porsches. They just assume that it is out of their reach. Anything I can do to speak the truth and spread the good word makes me happy

Quick Reply: NY Times article about Porsche's rumored takeover of VW