Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Intermittent starting prob.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Bretech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent starting prob.

And the problems keep coming. Wow! Its funny that everytime I tackle a problem something else starts to happen. So today I drove the car around town and stopped at a couple of places. After my last stop the car didnt want to start, all I heard is a CLICK! at the starter whenever I put the key in the on position, but it wasn't cranking(this happened on the day i got it) So I popped the clutch on it when some folks helped me push it, and off I was. I get home and turn the car off. I try to start it again, and she started right up. Argh! I should have shut it off and then tried to start it again but why mess with it more. The starter is a rebuilt unit. Could it be the solenoid?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:36 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A mate's car is currently experiencing the same issue...we both thought immediatly that it would be the solenoid. We havent changed it yet so i cant confirm that it was actually the cause of the problem.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:39 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...although that would only explain why it doesnt start, not why it cuts out. my friend changed the alternator so it doesnt cut out when driving anymore, but now it wont start properly!
Old 11-08-2006, 04:21 AM
Bretech
Instructor

hmmmm... its a struggle isn't it? keep me posted. I will let you know if I resolve my issue. Any others got a story or advice to offer?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:33 AM
psalt
Advanced

This is a common problem with the Bosch starter. The first thing to check is the battery voltage, then the voltage at the starter when attempting to crank it. If you hear a loud click, and the battery, ignition switch and solenoid check out, it is the windings in the starter. Most starters are rebuilt for this reason, but the rebuilds use the old windings and the problem comes back. The only solution is to keep swapping starters or the aftermarket gear reduction starter.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Psalt is dead-on about checking the voltage, because I've seen a problem like this that was resolved with a bad ground. A bad battery can cause this as well. What happens is that the lower voltage is sometimes enough to start the car, but not quite enough to kick that solenoid all the way out. The reason why it sometimes starts has to do with the positioning of the engine when it was last shut off. Each start requires a different amount of initial voltage/torque to get the starter moving.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:54 AM
VA911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it a large click or is the starter turning without the solinoid engaging.. mine is not engaging the solinoid like one out of ten times.ARRAHG!!!!!!!!!!! dam gremlins
Old 11-10-2006, 05:56 AM
VA911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually just a large click means low batery voltage or bad earth.. but in my case its got me screwed. all i have to do to solve my problem is put it in gear, rock the car back and rorward once then clutch in and away she goes if the problem shows its face.. any ideas?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:12 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had few issues with my SC.

First: it would randomly not start when hot, heat soaked starter, low voltage, bad ground I address them all and eventually it became less frequent. I just lived with it.

Second: I had a permatune box in the car when I bought it. I don't know about others experience with these units but wow what a piece of @#$. I would cruising down the hwy @ 80mph, usually with a huge truck behind me, and boom dead no more spark no go. Very scary when there are no shoulders to pull off on to. I replaced it with the original bosch cd and coil, problem solved.

On a side note:
I just noticed that Permatune now make units disguised as original Bosch units are you kidding me?!?! What a fraud, now people will have an even harder time to resolve this issue. There must be some copyright infringement here. Check your latest Performance catalogue.

Third: The ring gears on these cars tend to 'chunk' the teeth making every tenth start or so a grinding nightmare. Make sure you look closely next time you yank the engine.

I'm sorry if none of this helps you, I'm just commiserating.

Brgds, Peter
Old 11-10-2006, 03:43 PM
rentadate
Instructor

Originally Posted by butzip
I had few issues with my SC.

First: it would randomly not start when hot, heat soaked starter, low voltage, bad ground I address them all and eventually it became less frequent. I just lived with it.

Second: I had a permatune box in the car when I bought it. I don't know about others experience with these units but wow what a piece of @#$. I would cruising down the hwy @ 80mph, usually with a huge truck behind me, and boom dead no more spark no go. Very scary when there are no shoulders to pull off on to. I replaced it with the original bosch cd and coil, problem solved.

On a side note:
I just noticed that Permatune now make units disguised as original Bosch units are you kidding me?!?! What a fraud, now people will have an even harder time to resolve this issue. There must be some copyright infringement here. Check your latest Performance catalogue.

Third: The ring gears on these cars tend to 'chunk' the teeth making every tenth start or so a grinding nightmare. Make sure you look closely next time you yank the engine.

I'm sorry if none of this helps you, I'm just commiserating.

Brgds, Peter

That's why I bought an MSD unit. Works great for a fraction the price. I also bought a cutting board, some kind of poly something or other, and hacked it down to fit as a place for the unit to mount to it.

I have not had a problem with the car dying doing 80MPH on the freeway since. I also haven't had too much problems with starting the car when it is hot either. Like when it is 110 outside and the engine is running at 250.

I also replaced the solonoid a long time back too, due to sticking problems. (nasty sounds when starting)...even more fun when the key is out and the car keeps trying to start! Took the removing of the battery wires to stop that problem.

With the MSD unit I somehow managed to get greater feel of the engine, as well as a 1MPG jump in gas mileage.

Not too sure wether this helps, but I have only had a couple of instances when the car did not want to start. but leave it alone for 30 seconds and it always started up again.

I also have a wierd quark with my 83SC engine. If you turn the key and listen for the fuel pump to start its "rattling" noise for a second, then turn the crank the car starts up instantly, little smelly, but always starts. Not sure why. But I hope it helps a bit.
-----------------------------------
1975 911s targa w/83SC engine
Old 11-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Bretech
Instructor

Thanks Guys this does help alot. I just got home today so I wont be able to check it out till tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting prob.