Removing after market car alarm-UNGO box

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 12:32 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Removing after market car alarm-UNGO box

My 1986 cabriolet has an antique car alarm (it is an UNGO Box TL-1600); manufacturer is out of business, and product line was bought by Clarion. I have tried to contact Clarion but they have no interest in helping me.
After disconnecting car battery and reconnecting it, the alarm started beeping softly and regularly, which denotes the alarm was tampered with; it wasn't tampered with other than the disconnect/reconnect of the car battery.
Looks like the alarm armed itself; when mechanic tried to shut it off, the tamper signal (the beeping) is activated and can't be turned off until the switches are returned to the original setting. I have tried this with no success.
So - does anyone have any thoughts as to how to turn off this tamper alert?
And - how do I go about removing the damn alarm from the car; a 20 year old alarm in a 20 year old car is electrical trouble just waiting to happen.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you should say that... I just bought an '84 Carrera that had the Ungo box alarm installed by the dealership (to pump up the price no doubt). The sunroof, mirror joystick, and the fog lights would not work.

It was the Ungo box... I wish I could help you but the previous owner agreed as part of the deal to take care of the electrical problems. The work was done by Ron Kain at IPB Autosport in Sacramento CA. I know he didn't remove the little box on the center console but rather some module with a wire junction box.
Sorry I cannot be more help.

Rob
Old 10-26-2006, 01:52 PM
onlycafe
Advanced

i also have a problem with a previously installed ungo box. other than a window decal there is no apparent evidence of the unit anywhere until it goes off. i don't know which model it is, clarion was also most uncooperative as to giving any information out to me regarding its removal. there is no keypad , or any way that i can see of disarming it. any thing that you learn might be of some help to me so please post any news at all about this.
thanks very much and good luck
david furer
Old 10-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Allen70SSan Diego
Advanced

Rick:
I had an UNGo 1250 installed in my 911 many, many years ago. My only suggestion from their instructions is the following.

From the RF receiver box (Not the UNGO Box) there is a wire that leads to an override switch. This is just a push type switch. Mine is mounted on the firewall, next to the boxes. If you have it/find it, Turn the ignition on and push the button. This should reset the system. Good Luck.

Al
Old 10-26-2006, 03:48 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Allen
My manual implies the same thing and that is what I have tried, but it does not affect the system at all (whereas when I used to turn the key and press the secret switch, it would disable the alarm). I am wondering if the system has given up the ghost and/or the programming is scrambled.
I wonder what else I might try, other than drive to the alarm shop?
Thanks for your help; I will report back if I find a solution.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:49 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wink

I should apologize for my avatar, as it is not the correct period 911.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:43 PM
MDL
Racer

I had a Python alarm in my car when I bought it. Did the same thing as yours. I could not get any instruction either. So I reconnected the battery and let it beep until I found where the beeper was located. Disconnected the battery and began to trace the wires back to the main module, Then I ripped that BPOS out of my car and threw it in the garbage where it belonged. And Man, it felt good!

Dan.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Many years ago I put an UNGO box in my 1977 911S. I mounted it in the ashtray location. (Anyone need a spare beige (or whatever color that light (not Lobster) was) ash tray from a 77?

As I recall in the installtion, there were roughly two distinct models. One that featured a head unit (I think that is the one you have) and one that merely used a on/off switch. Both had an additional control unit as part of the wiring harness. All I can suggest at this point in time is to trace back each of the wires and essentially remove them. What Ungo did was create a jump effect on some of that by having you pull a wire (like a start up wire) and substitute theirs, and complete control went over to the Ungo. If you're new to Porsches and 911s,--good luck. If you have some reasonable time with 911s, then look for the nonstandard (Porsche) wiring.

I would first obtain a wiring schematic for your model and focus upon the key circuits that control the starting of the engine. Once you get familiar with what should be in there you can differentiate what wires should not be there and get them out.

That's the best I can do!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Kevinb
Intermediate

This website may help you. Its a schematic for your ungo alarm.

http://www.techneltd.com/tl-1600.htm

Kevin
Old 10-26-2006, 08:15 PM
cmoss

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I should apologize for my avatar, as it is not the correct period 911.
damn right you should...

My old sc had a ungo box and another aftermarket alarm system--yes at the same time, tho' I think the Ungo had be disconnected. it was a royal PITA. I might still have the Ungo manuel somewhere... I'll look this weekend.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:37 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default UNGO box

Originally Posted by Kevinb
This website may help you. Its a schematic for your ungo alarm.

http://www.techneltd.com/tl-1600.htm

Kevin
Thank you Kevin
As a side note, I have fixed the problem. It dawned on me today that the 'secret switch' which is one of the existing dash switches, was not behaving as it usually does. So, I checked its fuse and found that it was blown, and therefore apparently unable to shut off the alarm beeping. New fuse = no more alarm beep. Nice and easy.
I think I will remove the thing anyway, though.
Thanks again

Quick Reply: Removing after market car alarm-UNGO box