Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

looking for a real quick answer - oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006 | 11:30 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Default looking for a real quick answer - oil

I only say that because I think we have had enough 10 page threads recently debating the same old topics.

I plan on putting my car away and changing the oil. I have put on 5,000km ( or 3,000 miles , since my last one. The last one I also cahnged at about 6,000 km and I swear the oil was as clean coming out as it was going in. When I checked my oil level earlier this week I had to struggle to see the oil level as the oil was so " clear ". It sure makes me think I am changing it too often. I know from a "car" standpoint you can never change your oil too often , but am I really wasting money and my car would be fine with the oil that is in it now.
I am also concerned about the enviromental impact. I know the oil is recycled but there is also the filter, the rags I clean up with etc. If this is common and the oil always shows clear when changing after 5,000k then so be it and I will move on happy I have such a nice tight engine.

But i can't help but think 5,000k was designed for cars that are recycling 5-6 quarts through the engine,not 11 or 12. I also know these car use oil for coolant but am just not sure the oil works any harder than any other car, it gets cooled regularly and there is ore oil to go around. I am also keeping in mind Porsche's own long service intervals for oil changes.

Not sure about any of this , just quiet speculation.

Any one else see there oil "clean" when they go to change it ?

If it is of any interest first oil change was with Castrol 20w50 and the last one was Valvoline racing. 20w50
Old 10-29-2006 | 04:27 PM
sc91183
Advanced

I have not done this but it looks like the best way to determine oil change intervals should be based on oil analysis. I'm a firm believer that every 3,000 miles is probably too soon. I think most of us change our oil way before it or its additives are worn out.
Old 10-29-2006 | 04:31 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Change it.

Castrol 20W50 = $16.99 per 4L @ Crappy Tire
Oil filter + crush ring = $21 at stealership
Advantage: Nice clean oil to sit for 4 months rather than contaminated oil.

Just did mine today. I went for a run to Markham & then I had to drive up & down Finch & Sheppard Ave at 4K rpm in 2nd & then idle for 20 minutes to get it up to temp.

Ian
Old 10-29-2006 | 05:19 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

change it at least once a year and take the used oil to a recycler

unless you use oil analysis, change synthetic every 15k; change dino oil every 8k

put in new oil before storage and run the car on a 15+ minute drive first

I'm also concerned with the env'l impact - the best thing is to use synthetic and extend the drain interval. above gives you a safety margin while not changing it all the time for no reason
Old 10-29-2006 | 06:15 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I know what you mean ian, I was just out there and it was cold, I was out for an hour and finally got the trombone to heat up.
Old 10-29-2006 | 06:28 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm gonna play hookey for an hour or 2 tomorrow to wash it since it's supposed to be warmer. And I'll clean up the oil I spilled in the garage. Just minor spill this time. I'm getting better . . .

Ian
Old 10-29-2006 | 06:37 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

I change oil (Mobil 1 15-50) @ approx. 6000 mi intervals, never longer than 7500, change the filter about half-way through. {sorry, no 911 storage down yonder - mid summer days are worse than winters.}
Old 10-29-2006 | 06:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well if mid summer days mean you don't get to drive for 6 months, then your right .. :-)

Thanks for the info ..
Old 10-29-2006 | 10:35 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Iceman: I don't know if you have your 1978 owner's manual with your car, but Porsche's recommendation in the manual is 15,000 mile oil change intervals.

My oil is dirty when it comes out. I use a 1 year interval.

Brett
Old 10-29-2006 | 10:39 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks Brett

I decided to leave my oil . then if I do any projects over the winter involving the engine I am not dumping out the oil I just put in. and it is very clean anyway.
Old 10-29-2006 | 10:53 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Porsche's recommendation in the manual is 15,000 mile oil change intervals."
which, I think, proves even Porsche isn't always right.
Old 10-29-2006 | 11:32 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Isn't 3000 miles too soon? Unless you only drive the car 3000 miles a year. You should change it at least once a year. I have been reading threads on Pelican and Rennlist. Steve Weiner talks alot about how cam shafts and rockers have been wearing out alot more than they used to back in the day. The EPA changed the rules and there is now less Zinc and Phosphorus in the oil so that less pollution is produced and so the emissions are easier on the catalytic converters. Here was a very interesting link:

www.lnengineering.com/oil.htm

I have also heard that many are not happy with Castrol. I had Castol GTX in my car before I drained it for the engine drop. I will never put it in the car again. I believe Peter Zimmerman and Steve both had opinions based on their years of experience; they don't recommend Castrol. I am going to use Valvoline VR-1 20W50 from now on in my SC. Steve even believes we should put 2 ounces of GM EOM assembly lubricant in there to increase the ZDDP levels. That recommendation is not based on experience yet, but based on the hope that there will be less wear and tear on the engine parts. It's a little funny, but I peruse the oil section of auto supply stores like I used to peruse fine wine sections. Now I work too much and don't have time to drink, so motor oil it is!

I don't like the thought of my engine and probably the oil lines to the front trombone cooler having Castrol remnants in it. I found a great deal on Kendall GT-1 20W50 oil for $2.99 a quart at B&B auto supply locally, so I bought a case today. Some have written to change your oil before winter storage, and then change it again when you take it out of storage (yes, with no miles on the oil). That seems extreme, and there is no need for winter storage here in Seattle, but my plan is to get the engine back in, fill it up with Kendall, run it a bit to get all the Castrol out, take it to John Walker so he can set my CO since I won't have an O2 sensor anymore, then change my oil to Valvoline. Then it's Valvoline once a year until I need to rebuild the engine.

Anyways, that's my plan. Please no flames. I realize this is a passionate subject to some. Not really passionate to me, but I have read about the topic and this is what I have decided to do.
Old 10-29-2006 | 11:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

James I whole heartedly concur. I am on the Valvoline now , I switched back in the summer , that is why I got caught end of season with only 3,000 miles on the oil . screw it I'm leaving it.

Will put fresh in , in the spring.

Quick Reply: looking for a real quick answer - oil