Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always tell people to buy the newest nicest Porsche they can afford. I love my '85, but I would buy a 993 could.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:17 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy Jeezuz. Are 80's 911's really going for that much? I paid less than that for my 90 with under 100k on it. Sure... I need to replacet the snow tires but.... wow.. did I get a great deal or are some of these people way out in left field on price?

Sorry to take this off the rails.. (mine is a coupe though, not a Targa or Cab).
Old 10-23-2006, 07:46 PM
A4
Instructor

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
Holy Jeezuz. Are 80's 911's really going for that much? I paid less than that for my 90 with under 100k on it. Sure... I need to replacet the snow tires but.... wow.. did I get a great deal or are some of these people way out in left field on price?

Sorry to take this off the rails.. (mine is a coupe though, not a Targa or Cab).

Yes, the G-50 Carrera's are still holding a strong price in the NE anyway. I see 964's dropping to above/below the $20K mark but I think I'd still go for the mint 3.2 G-50(but that's another thread already!).

As for the '84-'86's with the 915,s they are being listed at $14-16K all day long with nicer ones higher and dogs lower.

Thats what I am seeing anyway!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:20 PM
hi8ha
Advanced

OK, went to see the car. The seller showed me seats and they look fine. Would say just the tipical wear on the left side of the driver's seat. However front seats are not leather but vynil but looks like a job well done. Mathches the interior color very well.
The A/C switch is broken hence could not test the A/C but per the seller the A/C system was converted to the new system and the thermometer used to test the A/C before the switch broke goes down to 60.
The passenger side window seems to be loose from the rails that push it up. The same thing happened to the driver side and was fixed for about $300.00 including labor. I've repaired that on other car and guess I could save on the labor.
The sunroof liner is saggy and makes a ratling noise when closing. According to the seller it is normal due to be pinion driven but not 100% convinced about that. I'm not a sun roof user though.
One thing I noticed was that you could hear on the inside the engine fairly loud. Not funny noises, just too loud inside. Have not been inside a Porsche for many years. Is the engine loud?
In regards to the added angine cooler it is just to run the car cooler(?), per seller when he does not turn the "cooler" the temperature needle reached almost half the dial and when the cooler is on it reaches half way to where it reaches without it. He has run the car without the cooler and it does not over heat.
Per seller description the clutch is a racing clutch which I think is better than the factory one that has the rubber thing, remember I'm a newbe, bursts. The racing upgrade makes me think that the tensioners were replaced with the better ones and per seller description what ever could be raplaced with stainless steel it was replaced by the previous owner. Another thing is that the odometer does not work but the speedometer does, it shows 39000 miles and that is why the seller estimate the total millage is arround 112,000 miles. Per seller 911 SC odometers are prone to break (?). Seller has all paper work but I went to see the car`at his work place and did not have it there. He has no problem with a PPI.
The upgrades were done mid to realy 90's and he has many original parts in their boxes that not were used due to the upgrade.

It looks like the car was painted but if it was, it was a proffesional job. The outer rubber seals looks very good.
Did not have the chance to check under the car.
Almost forgot, the shocks for the hood need replacement.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:35 AM
joey c
Pro

STAY AWAY FROM VICTORY...HE LIES...HE LIED TO ME...ITS NOT WORTH THE RISK WITH VICTORY...
Old 10-24-2006, 08:45 AM
joey c
Pro

STAY AWAY FROM VICTORY...HE LIES...HE LIED TO ME...ITS NOT WORTH THE RISK WITH VICTORY...
Old 10-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Ron Minson
Pro

Originally Posted by hi8ha
OK, went to see the car. The seller showed me seats and they look fine. Would say just the tipical wear on the left side of the driver's seat. However front seats are not leather but vynil but looks like a job well done. Mathches the interior color very well.
The A/C switch is broken hence could not test the A/C but per the seller the A/C system was converted to the new system and the thermometer used to test the A/C before the switch broke goes down to 60.
The passenger side window seems to be loose from the rails that push it up. The same thing happened to the driver side and was fixed for about $300.00 including labor. I've repaired that on other car and guess I could save on the labor.
The sunroof liner is saggy and makes a ratling noise when closing. According to the seller it is normal due to be pinion driven but not 100% convinced about that. I'm not a sun roof user though.
One thing I noticed was that you could hear on the inside the engine fairly loud. Not funny noises, just too loud inside. Have not been inside a Porsche for many years. Is the engine loud?
In regards to the added angine cooler it is just to run the car cooler(?), per seller when he does not turn the "cooler" the temperature needle reached almost half the dial and when the cooler is on it reaches half way to where it reaches without it. He has run the car without the cooler and it does not over heat.
Per seller description the clutch is a racing clutch which I think is better than the factory one that has the rubber thing, remember I'm a newbe, bursts. The racing upgrade makes me think that the tensioners were replaced with the better ones and per seller description what ever could be raplaced with stainless steel it was replaced by the previous owner. Another thing is that the odometer does not work but the speedometer does, it shows 39000 miles and that is why the seller estimate the total millage is arround 112,000 miles. Per seller 911 SC odometers are prone to break (?). Seller has all paper work but I went to see the car`at his work place and did not have it there. He has no problem with a PPI.
The upgrades were done mid to realy 90's and he has many original parts in their boxes that not were used due to the upgrade.

It looks like the car was painted but if it was, it was a proffesional job. The outer rubber seals looks very good.

the price seams a little high - but could be a good buy, the only way that you will know is to have the PPI--but i would do a search on the seller and trust the fead back you see on the board reguarding the seller. You should be able to find and great car for that price, dont rush this process.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Ron Minson
Pro

the engine should be loud, that is the true music for that car, but i would drive many many other 911s to compare the feel and sound.

BTW i love the word Estamate on the millage--trust with verification only
Old 10-24-2006, 11:45 AM
hi8ha
Advanced

Thanks for the response.

Don't think I could check the seller's background, the car is being sold by a private seller not a dealer.
How can the millage be verified, by experience what would be a fair price for the car?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:01 PM
hi8ha
Advanced

Default How about this one?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...7&aff=national
Old 10-24-2006, 01:14 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the response.

Don't think I could check the seller's background, the car is being sold by a private seller not a dealer.
How can the millage be verified, by experience what would be a fair price for the car?
A PPI performed by an indpendent shop can sometime estimate how many miles are on the car based on the conditon of suspension, motor etc.

A Carfax can be used verify the mileage also but may be incorrect if the speedometer was replaced.

Also be sure to look throught the receipts to verify that maintenance is up to date and that the clutch was actually replaced, upgrades installed etc.

I would look at a variety of cars like others have mentioned so that you get an idea how the motor/trans is supposed to sound and how the car feels and shifts. Try out some "over priced" premium examples so you how a properly set up 911 is supposed to drive and then test drive a few crappy ones or vice versa.

I checked out about 30 and test drove 15 cars before I picked mine.

Good Luck !
Old 10-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you should do a lot more research on this board and other boards before making your decision. Also, please be sure to drive as many cars as possible. There is a lot to learn and by the time you learn most of it, you'll end up with a really nice car that fits your budget. I would stay away from aftermarket cooling systems, racing clutches, etc. A good, stock Porshe is more reliable, just as fast and will hold value better.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

Sounds like you are not educated enough to buy a car on your own ( no offence ) . But cudos to you for coming hear and asking questions. I would definitely take a long a local rennlister and definitely buy Petes book before doing ANYTHING. Buying a Porsche should NOT be an emotional descision. Read the PPI post above at the very minimum, and do NOT belive the statement " that is normal for these cars " unless of course it is leaking oil ..
Old 10-24-2006, 02:54 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by theiceman
Sounds like you are not educated enough to buy a car on your own ( no offence ) . But cudos to you for coming hear and asking questions. I would definitely take a long a local rennlister and definitely buy Petes book before doing ANYTHING. Buying a Porsche should NOT be an emotional descision. Read the PPI post above at the very minimum, and do NOT belive the statement " that is normal for these cars " unless of course it is leaking oil ..
Lol! Ice, I have to bust your chops on this post buddy (it is just so rare that I can bust your chops as you are generally all knowing...I still bow to you and seek your advice often ). "Sounds like you are not educated enough", then you go on to misspell offense, hear (should be here in this case), a long should be along as one word, descision should be decision, Petes should be Pete's and lastly, belive should be believe.

I may not no near nothin bout my Porsh (especially compared to you), but i do got ya beat in the inglish departmint! I think I would rather know more about my Porsche!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

Ah man you can bust my chops all day long on my spelling .. go back and check every single post and there will be a misspelling somewhere. I think I even made mention to it at some point. The way I figure it if you see a perfectly spelled and gramatically correct post ..it ain't me .. it's an imposter..

Besides , I can't post all day , work for a living AND getting the spelling right

have a gud 1

PS I wish the spell check actually worked..

Quick Reply: Porsche owner wannabe