Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

pulling air pump on SC

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 03:17 AM
VA911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pulling air pump on SC

i am going to start a new project on my 79sc. pulling the air pump. what is involved with this job. what do i need to put in place of where the air pump connects to the engine. wiill any tuning need to be done once the air pump is pulled or does it have no affect?
thanks in advance
Old 10-21-2006, 08:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

This a hugely common practice, wasn't even sure there were any left, keep the pump however or sell it for the concours guys.

very straight forward, basically just start unbolting all the bits, the only real issue is the plumbing into the heads, plugs can be boought at pelican to replace the air injectors. someone here mentioned putting old lug nuts over the end of the injectors where it joins the plumbing. Mine just had the plumbing crimped and RTVed. as they were pretty rusted and the PO decided against messing with it. Mine was very well done though and it even looked like the tinwork had been replaced at the back on the engine so there were no holes through to the bottom of the car. If I have a pic of my engine bay I wll post it so you can see the " after" shot . If you want to do a real purdy job you can even get the single pulley half fom an earlier car that does not have a spot for the smog pump. The one pic shows what my car looked like where the mounting points were down below, the blurry one is the plumbing just cut off and sealed ( messy job I had to clean up ) . one pic shows where the plumbing atached to the air injectors, the air injectors screw directly into the heads. May need lots of penetrating fluid before you start. I went to unscrew the plumbing from the enjectors and they all just came right out of the head . sweet :-)
Old 10-21-2006, 11:57 AM
ulrichd
Racer

There is a Weltmeister kit avalable for plugging the air injector holes in the case after you remove the plumbing "spider" under the car. Use lots of PB Blaster before you start. I used a Dremel tool to cut up the spider for removal. If you're not comfortable removing the injectors you can screw a Porsche wheel lug nut over each for plugging.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:06 PM
VA911
Instructor

If you're not comfortable removing the injectors you can screw a Porsche wheel lug nut over each for plugging.
Does this spider connect to injectors? is this where the wheel nut connects on to??
does my air pump have anything to do with the amount of poping i get when under load and off throttle?
Old 10-21-2006, 08:15 PM
VA911
Instructor

plugs can be boought at pelican to replace the air injectors.
i cant find these on pelican. i must be blind!
Old 10-21-2006, 08:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

oops my appologies .. it was performance products. .. this is the least I could do ..
http://www.performanceproducts.com/p...njection+Plugs

anyway if you look at the small pic you will see were the "spider " (plumbing) connects to the injector, that is where the lug nut would go. But you are better taking the whole thing out if you can.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

By the way does anyone know the thread size and pitch of these ? I can probably get them localy, I just don't want to cut up the plubing until I KNOW I can get them or I will be out of service for a while..
Old 10-21-2006, 09:12 PM
VA911
Instructor

cheers ice.
thanks for the link! do i need to cut the plumbing up before i disconnect or can it all be done without cutting anything?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:47 PM
ulrichd
Racer

The spider can't be removed without cutting it. Dremel with proper attachment cut through it with no problem.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I concur, it theoretically could be done but everything will be rusted together and I was going to do what Ulrich did. I just need the sizes of the thread on those plugs and I will be fine.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:47 AM
VA911
Instructor

the sizes of the thread for the bolts in the head or the thread internally in the air injector?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

the one on the plugs if you know it .. I want to get my plugs here locally and we have some sizes available at a local place when I showed im thepic, he told me to bring an injector and he would see if he could match it ..... er .. no becuase then my car is "down" and if you can't match it I have to wait for a shipment form the US. ...
But thw good news was when i went to see if I could take the plumbing off an injector all 3 moved I checked ( the whole in injector ) . Ulrich did yo have much trouble getting the injectors out of th heads?
Old 10-22-2006, 01:42 PM
ulrichd
Racer

No they were surprisingly loose. I could almost turn them by hand. I was originally going to leave them in for fear of breaking them off, but they came off so easily. Maybe it was the PB Blaster.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hey guess what ... just before I came to check this email I got curious and dremmelled off the piping on passenger side, slipped on a deep 17mm socket and they came right off. I was also amazed at how they came off and were so loose was wondering if they had been loose all along, one for sure was only finger tight an the other two were only snug... now getting the air line off the injector was another matter, took 2 wrenches and some forcre.. not a big deal really as they are garbage , I was just wondering how tight they were.

Going out now to look for some plugs, if I don't find any I have lots of spare lug nuts lying around.

PS 17mm for the air line to injector, 14mm, air injector to head.

All the best

ice .
Old 10-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Tommy Malmstrom
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there really any benefits for removing the air pump, besides loosing some weight?

Quick Reply: pulling air pump on SC