Child car seats for a mid 80s 911

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:30 PM
hopefulowner
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child car seats for a mid 80s 911

Hi,

My wife is pregnant with twins (our first children). I have long dreamed of owning a 911. I am currently looking for a mid 80s Targa to fit the bill. Does anyone know if I would be able to fit 2 rear facing child safety seats in the back? Or will my dream pass me by....? Thanks for any help/advice you could give me.

John
Old 10-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Corrales911
Instructor

It's doable but not easy. You'll need to put the kid seats on top of the back of the jump seats when they are folded down. Only a few the bucket-type seats are short enough to do this. I used a Combi brand one that worked with an infant but now he's out growing it so it'll be interesting to see what I figure out next. My 5 year old sits fine in the jump seats without a booster, etc.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:46 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

I too am facing this issue with a 77 911. I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old. My 5 year old can legally sit in the jumper seat. I am running into a problem with my 3 year old though. I am not sure how to secure him. I have had to drive him somewhere in the 911 before (which he loves) but had to use a carseat in the front passenger seat. Not only would I rather have him in the back for safety reasons, but the carseat also makes a nasty indentation in my seat and I would hate for that to become a rip over time. Any ideas for a 3 year old?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Corrales911
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdogporsche
Any ideas for a 3 year old?
There is a VERY expensive booster seat made for the rear of the 911 but they are hard to find.

At one point I had managed to squeeze an older Cosco car seat in the back with the jumpseat back removed and a LATCH strap attached to the lap belt bolts (belts removed). Problem with this is that the LATCH straps for non-LATCH seats are no longer available, and neither is a child seat with a narrow enough base to fit in the jumpseat bottom, as far as I can tell.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:24 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Any ideas for a 3 year old?
Use the search function and search for baby seats. There are several options at Target that have a narrow enough bottom to fit in the rear jump seats. See my avatar for proof.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:54 PM
DBrisson
Cruisin'

I to have this problem. I removed the back of the jump seat and fabricated hook loops where the seat belt bolts go. Now the latch strap clips to those loops and snugs the seat down. It is a smaller walmart seat that fits well in the small area of the seat. With the seat backs removed it allows the child more foot room to the passenger seat. I can drop the seat in with the back in place since the hook loops use the exisiting outer bolts to hold the loop. the inside hook loop was attached to the pivot point of the seat back.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

You may want to check your local laws also , I don't know if in the US it varies state to state but here in Canada it does vary province to province. In Ontario any child under 8 or 48' I think or 70lbs MUST be in a booster seat. MAy be worth checking.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Corrales911
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBrisson
It is a smaller walmart seat that fits well in the small area of the seat.
Can you give a model number? I haven't been able to find anything with a base as narrow as the long-retired Cosco seat I used earlier (hacked it up to fit in a small airplane - wish I'd kept it).
Old 10-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Take measurements, then take the measuring tape to the store and measure all the bases to check fit. Its easy.....
Old 10-18-2006, 02:51 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Following is some info I posted back in March when we first got our 911. These seats are for toddlers, not infants. When my daughter was an infant we used a free baby seat that we got from Allstate which fit OK in the back of a 911.

What I found was that there are several inexpensive baby seats out there that have a narrow base which fit real nice in one of the rear jump seats. One Rennlister recomended a Graco Comfort Sport seat which I found at Target for $79.99. I ended up going even cheaper with a Cosco High Back Booster at $48.99. There was even a cheaper Cosco for $38.99 but they were out of stock.

The key is getting a baby seat with LATCH clips. At first I removed the bolts which hold the seat belt in place and replaced with eye-bolts (like what are used for racing harnesses). Hooked the LATCH clips up to the eye-bolts and was good to go. Only problem is the eye bolts are a little big for the LATCH clips and it is difficult un-clipping the seat. Now I am going to use the baby seat anchors out of our Volvo. That way I can still keep the seat belts in place and it is easier to get the baby seat in and out.

My only question is are you sure you need a booster for a 6 year old in the rear jump seat? My 5 year old daughter fits just fine in the rear seat w/o booster. The Cosco High Back Booster I got is a booster for bigger kids, has a 5 point harness for little ones, but as a booster you need to use the factory 3 point harness which the rear of my '87 911 does not have. If the rear seats on a 993 have three point, then the Graco High Back Booster would be great.

Another option is to search e-bay for "Porsche baby seat". There was a booster seat on there last week for kids 37 pounds and up with a starting bid of $25.

If it is just me and my daughter, since the '87 does not have airbags, I will put her up front in the passenger seat with a standard booster bottom and use the three point harness.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:19 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Thanks for the info John! You have a great looking family. I drive with my 5 year old in the jumper seat without a booster...here in Washington State it is legal and he fits just fine. Now I just need to find a seat this weekend for my 3 year old.

I will also do what Shark said, in regards to measuring, although I think there are many things people can find out by themselves, but hope to find some quick answers online rather than driving from store to store Shark. Just my opinion.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

but the carseat also makes a nasty indentation in my seat and I would hate for that to become a rip over time.
Put several bath towels (or one folded in half) on the front seat before putting the car seat in the car. That should help reduce wear and tear on your front seat...
Old 10-19-2006, 06:03 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have the actual measurements for the rear seats in a 74-89 911?
I have a 4-year old I need to take on some test-drives. I have 2 booster seats,
one a Graco that is about 16 inches wide in the rear, and a Britax booster,
which is about 13 inches wide at the rear. The Graco is pretty much square and
I doubt it will fit; the Britax is more narrow in the back and gets wider to 15-16
inches but only in the front. If I'm lucky, that'll fit. I am telling the people whos
cars I come to test-drive that taking my 4 year old son along is a condition; since
my wife is out-of-town and there is no baby-sitting. Besides he likes fast cars too.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I will also do what Shark said, in regards to measuring, although I think there are many things people can find out by themselves, but hope to find some quick answers online rather than driving from store to store Shark. Just my opinion.
The reason I advised doing the measurements is because I found that the cheap car seats weren't available in all areas of the country, they seemed to vary (alot) per region. After a couple of frustrating weekends searching for particular models only to find they weren't available in Texas, I broke out the tape measure.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:10 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be too brazen, but, what is the "fine" or consequense for not having a youth properly restrained? Small fine? Points on license? child taken away to protective services? Would a cop even see a kid in the back of a 911/944 to begin with?

Also, in older cars, that don't have airbags, why are people so worried about a front facing car seat in the front seat? That's the best view in the house!

Quick Reply: Child car seats for a mid 80s 911