Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sticking Brake Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:30 AM
gbailey911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking Brake Caliper

I just returned from a trip in my 1987 Carrera and experienced something new, and not good, on the way home. My right front brakes appeared to be slightly binding to the point of me being able to feel it in the steering wheel at speed. I stopped several times and checked the wheel rotor and it was definitely HOT. The brake fluid was replaced last year when I changed the brake hoses so I don't think they are the problem.

Do you think rebuilding the front caliper(s) will fix this problem and should I expect any problems doing the rebuild? I am a pretty good DIYer and have done brake work on other cars with no problems. I also read the article on Pelican and it seems pretty straight forward.

Any advice/suggestions is welcomed and appreciated!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:00 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem several years ago. I found the internal liner of the brake line had come loose and wouldn't let the caliper release all the way. Next time this occurs, jack up the car and open the bleeder on the affected wheel. If it frees up, then it is a failed brake hose. By the way , if the hoses are more than 10 years old, replace them. It is a safety improvement as old hoses have a tendency to swell, lining comes apart, etc.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:25 PM
gbailey911
Instructor

Default Brakes

Spider911, thanks for the reply. I changed all four brake hoses last year along with a fluid flush so I don't think they are the problem.

I still would like to know thoughts on a caliper rebuild and difficulty of the rebuild.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:37 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A rebuild is fairly easy. Just clean the parts very well and make sure the piston(s) if doing both calipers are in very good shape. If the piston(s) shows any signs of corrosion or abnormal wear, replace it or them. You can get kits from a Porsche dealer or Pelican or a few other suppliers. Use the recommended lubricant(s) when reinstalling the piston and "O" ring(s). As Steve Weiner and Pete Z have stated before, doing one wheel at a time may provided better seating of the piston in the caliper. I recommend doing the calipers in pairs, i.e., both fronts or both rears. Doing one may cause problems in the other one on the same circuit due to pressure differentials and age of the seals. In any case, you will have to bleed the system, that's another eason to do them in pairs.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:51 PM
MDL
Racer

Rebuilding the calipers is not hard at all. I just rebuilt all 4 of mine a couple of weeks ago. I had a right front that was hanging up, although not as bad as yours. When I took it apart I found that someone had installed one of the pistons upside down. Make sure you check the thickness of your disc while your at it. I would recommend buying the "101 projects for your 911" It will show you everything you need to do for the rebuild.

Dan.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:01 PM
gbailey911
Instructor

Default Do I need a new caliper?

I started the caliper rebuild today and after smashing my finger between the pistons when the first one popped out, I am left with the following decision. The pistons bores appear to me to have too much wear to rebuild and one of the pistons has an imperfection on it (see pictures).

Is the caliper beyond rebuild or can it still be rebuilt safely?

As always, thanks for all responses.
Attached Images    
Old 10-24-2006, 09:47 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you'll be OK with the caliper. But the piston is shot, replace it. Remember in a properly functioning caliper the piston is riding on the o-ring seal and not touching the caliper bore. It was probably making contact because it was sticking. Right front caliper seems to be a problem area for the Carreras for some reason.

Clean it up and polish it with some fine emory cloth. Flush it well with brake cleaner and blow it out if you have compressed air. If the bore is smooth after polishing you should be good.

This is my caliper before and (almost) after the proccedure. I did some more polishing before final assembly. It's been 2 years and many DE's and no problems.

Good Luck
Attached Images   
Old 11-01-2006, 11:04 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem on my 81SC. After a day at Gingerman, both front brakes were dragging all the way home. I replaced the master cylinder and all is well. I think this is a common problem (master cylinder) with these symptoms.

Mike
Old 11-03-2006, 06:56 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Given the look of the caliper I would just get a replacement pair - sometimes major work on the brake system (replacing flexibles) can lead to problems with the master cylinder. I believe it is possible to obtain a master cylinder refurb kit but the cost of a new one is such its hardly worth a refurb.

PJC

Quick Reply: Sticking Brake Caliper