theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

Do you guys not have jobs ? :-)
Old 10-17-2006, 07:28 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That depends on who is asking...you are not part of my Executive IT Management team here at Weyerhaeuser are you? If so, this is a different Jeremy with a bright orange 911. The real Jeremy is working hard at his desk and his bright orange 911 is parked in the parking lot.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:44 PM
SC4DnP
Instructor

Iceman, Of course we have jobs! But some things are more important. Besides, this is what I consider stress therapy. ;^)
Old 10-17-2006, 07:52 PM
SC4DnP
Instructor

Hi James,

Way to go with the Zep. That's great stuff too. It is like a video game only with "funer" results. I'd hit 'em again tomorrow and Friday to try and get as much penetration as possable before the BIG day!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Man you guys are adicted worse than me :-) .. and you guys can spell too. :-)
Old 10-17-2006, 08:17 PM
SC4DnP
Instructor

Here I was starting to feel guilty about goofing off, then I notice you're covering multiple posts! I am impressed at your multitasking ability! ... the spelling is just a lucky guess.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:21 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys. Let's have a serious discussion about addiction.

Just Kidding! Let's not! Let's drop my engine this weekend! I've got Fred Flintstone's monkey wrench and I am ready to go!

I made a new friend here recently, John Walker. He is a top notch mechanic on the other side of the lake whom I will ask to do all my future work (unless I figure out a way to do it myself). John doesn't participate on this board, but I asked a question on Pelican's engine rebuilding forum and asked a question about rebuilding my first gear synchro. I was suprised to see a response: "1st can be fixed without a complete teardown. the trans can stay bolted to the engine. the end cover is removed, the 5th and reverse items under it are removed, the guide fork plate and center housing is removed next. that exposes the pinion and mainshafts. the two roller bearings on the end of the shafts are carefully removed, and then you can slip the freewheeling 1st gear off the pinion shaft. syncro, brake band and syncro teeth should be replaced on that part. the 1st/2nd shift sleeve is also a good thing to replace at this time. once that's off, you can slip the freewheeling 2nd gear off and check it's components. the 1st and 2nd pressed on syncro teeth are famous for loosing their teeth, so it's recommended (by me) to replace both 1st and 2nd teeth as a matter of course."

This is a paragraph packed with stuff I need to learn about, but it sounds like fun, don't it?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I have actually heard the sam e.. that replacing first and second dog teeth and meshing is actually more intimidation than difficult and no real allignments are necessary for this work .. Take LOTs of pics so you remember how you took it apart though :-)
Old 10-18-2006, 06:02 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Hey Butzip looks like a great doly. Is that engine resting right on the heat exchangers? is there no threat of them being crushed. ? Did you work on it like this or is that a temporary location before you put it on a stand ?

sorry about the questions but i am trying to be prepared.
ICE,

Worked on it just like that, you can get to all but oil return tubes and heat exchangers with out probs just have some advil ready for the back ache or better yet, a low stool to sit on. No problems with the heat exchangers either, they nice and strong

Brgds, Peter
Old 10-18-2006, 06:56 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by SeattlePorsche
I made a new friend here recently, John Walker. He is a top notch mechanic on the other side of the lake whom I will ask to do all my future work (unless I figure out a way to do it myself).

John Walker is not only a great guy but a great wrench as well. He is the guy I would bring my car to for anything I can't do as well. He knows his air cooled Porsches.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:13 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is that John Walker RED or BLACK??? sorry couldn't resist
Old 10-19-2006, 12:36 AM
SC4DnP
Instructor

Judging by the rave reviews of him, it might be Blue Label!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:03 AM
jdogporsche
Racer

Are you going to make it on Saturday Doug? I sure hope so!
Old 10-19-2006, 04:04 PM
SC4DnP
Instructor

Hi Jeremy, I'm leaning that way. I wasn't sure if you guys still needed my help.

At this point, the only hang up could be that I may have a chance to finely get my car on the dyno.
I'll Know more later. Who knows, I've waited this long, whats a few more days? Besides, it's not every day you get to play with Fred Flintstones tools.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:39 PM
dsmith
Racer

Here's the godsend tranny rebuild post from Pelican. Really one of the easiest repairs I've done on a car, once you understand the parts. Easily done in 1 day, if you have all the tools.I rebuilt all of 1/2 gears and left 3/4/5 alone. Once you see how easy it is, you won't mind doing it again 100k down the road and saving the money now on 3-5.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=159059

More free advise in addition to above:
1. Find someone with the porsche tools for remove/install of the dog teeth. I had problems with home remedies.
2. Don't move/unscrew the shift forks at all. You need tools to align if you do.
3. Make sure you document the fifth/reverse gear assembly order. I had the 5th gear washer in the wrong place and had to remove it again. make sure neutral works to avoid this once it's assembled.
4. Check out the Pelican Super Clutch Kit for all the items you should replace. About $1000 with the aluminum PP.

Enjoy,
David

Quick Reply: Seattle Engine Drop Oct 21