Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Does anyone ever use the search key anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:51 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Does anyone ever use the search key anymore?

I can't even count the number of times within the past 6 months that I have opened the 911 forum to see new threads about topics that have been addressed over and over and over again.

Do the rest of you guys have that little word along the top that says "Search", or is it just me?

I'm just ranting because I don't want to read about having to take out the windshield in order to swap the dash 1 more time this year, or that the oil level needs to be checked while the engine is hot, on level ground running in neutral, or that you should never run a rear wing without a front spoiler, etc. etc. etc.
+++
Old 10-01-2006, 03:59 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we've discussed this before, maybe try "search".
Now, back to the race...
Old 10-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Corrales911
Instructor

I've run across this on another non-Porsche forum. Unless you choose just the right key words a "search" can end up with either too many or not enough results to be useful. And then new owners often think their question/problem is somewhat unique.

Bottom line is that these forums are going to have to deal graciously with at least some redundancy because it's the nature of the beast.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Kind of like " what is this car worth " ?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:22 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Default Google as search engine

Dan, many of the best websites use more powerful search engines as the underlying architecture. I've found that I can find things easily on those sites. Rennlist and Pelican don't have those and therefore Corrales911's comments are right on. It's OK to rant but I really have to wonder why you are browsing the 911 Forum anyway. You've been at this so long, one has to wonder what you're gaining from using the bulletin board.

In the meantime, those of us that need real help and need it fast really appreciate the site regardless of it's shortcomings.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:04 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course I was jesting at Dan - it WAS 2am... but he has a point, even though the search function isn't as sophisticated as it might be, people should understand that the quickest & easiest answer is not always the most accurate & comprehensive. There is much quality filed away in the old posts, well worth seeking when you have a problem.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:36 PM
rscredon
Instructor

If everything has been discussed, why have the forum?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:48 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It gives all of us DIY 'experts' a chance to dazzle one & all with our newly acquired 'knowledge'.

Ian
Old 10-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Eric-17

I don't browse here much anymore but do use search here and on Pelican all the time. With that said, there is also the option of browsing the forum and picking and choosing which threads to open and read. Many times people initiating threads are not just looking for a quick answer, but are also looking for the practical experiences of others... And reading how things went or what options are out there (tools, bits and pieces, etc.) from a thread that is 2, 3, 4 or more years old is not enough. Tools, techniques, and preferred bits change with time...

Eric
Old 10-02-2006, 04:31 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

whenever someone joins a msg should be Emailed to them telling them how best to use the search button - that would help

sure more powerful search engine would be nice but much of the repeated info is easily obtained

3 months ago a real pisser was an idiot who infomed me that if he wanted to search here and Pelican (I had suggested this and given him some terms) he'd have done that and he was just going to post and request people to serve him the info on a silver platter. Needless to say I didn't answer his question.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:49 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dan Cobb
I'm just ranting because I don't want to read about having to take out the windshield in order to swap the dash 1 more time this year, or that the oil level needs to be checked while the engine is hot, on level ground running in neutral, or that you should never run a rear wing without a front spoiler, etc. etc. etc.
+++
Well, if the topic is a rehashed one, you dont have to open it up, no skin off your back. Also, I'd personally rather have an active, but sometimes redundant forum than a stagnant one where people just refer to archives on everything instead.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:52 PM
cmoss

interestingly when one types "search" into the search window no matches are found
Old 10-03-2006, 11:03 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cmoss
interestingly when one types "search" into the search window no matches are found
Hmm I get 350 results in the 911 forum alone...
Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 AM
aveale
Rennlist Member

I bet this issue was talked about before.

T
Old 10-04-2006, 12:53 PM
RedShadow
Instructor

Originally Posted by rscredon
If everything has been discussed, why have the forum?
I gotta agree with that. You can even hold the mouse over the topic to get a snippet of the contents. If it's something you're not interested in - just don't read it! Stop picking on us newbies.

Quick Reply: Does anyone ever use the search key anymore?