Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bringing steering wheel and shifter closer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 03:56 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Bringing steering wheel and shifter closer?

I have an '87 Carrera with a Momo Corse steering wheel and Momo hub, which of course is a common setup. I'd like to bring the steering wheel a few inches closer. Anyone have experience with an extension? I'm tall and sit with the seat way back, and I have to reach too far for the steering wheel. It should be do-able; race/rally cars have some pretty lengthy hubs.

Also, I need to move the shifter further towards me. I'm thinking of having the lever bent, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Will
Old 03-25-2002, 09:30 PM
John Welch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Will,

My 928 has an extension that brings the wheel about 2" closer. Unfortunately, I'm 5'6". LOL

I would think you can get an extension from MoMo.

Good Luck,
Old 03-25-2002, 10:00 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, John. I already have the Momo extension installed - I need more!!
Old 03-26-2002, 11:07 AM
Scott in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Hi, I think a quick release from Smart Racing may do the trick. I had put one on my track car with the same wheel and hub you are using and it pushed the wheel back to me another 2"+/-. You can get the address and phone numbers for Smart Racing from the back of a Pano. Regards,
Old 03-26-2002, 12:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Will,

How's your seating position?

I'm not tall but I have my seatback almost an 90 degree angle (about 85 maybe) like you see in racing cars.

In my 911, my seating is quite good, shifter could be a little closer but it's ok.
In my 993, my legs are getting too short...

I know it might feel odd when you first test it but you get used to it and it really is the way you should sit when you drive a race/sportscar.

If you are already seated like that, then you need an extension... I just thought that maybe you are one of those who lean back like they were in a lounge chair or something
Old 03-26-2002, 04:42 PM
pbs911
Instructor

The problem with extending the steering wheel further back than the Momo extension provides is that the blinker and headlight levers will be too far forward to reach easily. I have this same problem.

As for the shifter, I also know what you mean. To get in fifth I have to practically come out of my seat. Shifting into fifth with a 5-point harness is out. I am planning to cut a wedge out of my shifter, bend the shifter back, and then weld it back together. I can't think of anything else.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:24 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys, thanks for the responses. I've located a couple of steering wheel extensions, one of them mentioned above by Scott:

<a href="http://www.smart-racing.com/ProdCat/Driver%20Comforts/Driver%20Comforts.htm" target="_blank">Smart Racing steering wheel extension</a>

Also sold by OG Racing: <a href="http://www.ogracing.com/catsteer.html" target="_blank">OG extension here</a>

Then there is a beefy looking extension that is stackable: <a href="http://www.racecarproducts.com/PAGE10.htm#721" target="_blank">Stackable extensions</a>

The first two are around 40 bucks, the last is 10. I'm going to order both and give them a try; I'll let you know what happens.

FF, I like to sit bolt upright, not leaned back like my son in his Jetta.

I'll also report back about the shifter modification.

Will
Old 04-01-2002, 05:52 PM
Flyin Elvis
Advanced

Talking

Will, thanks for the tip. I replaced my factory with a Corse and was bummed after spending the cash to find my knuckles on the dash.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:52 PM
aquabat911
Instructor

I also have a Momo in my 911 and had to put a spacer in to move it closer to me. Since then I have found that Sparco makes wheels with different amounts of dish in them to avoid using a spacer. Just a thought for anyone who has yet to buy a Momo or wants to replace theirs.

Quick Reply: Bringing steering wheel and shifter closer?