Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How bad is the AC, really?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 07:03 PM
jsrieck
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is the AC, really?

I live in Houston. I hear that the AC on a 3.2 Carrera is better than that on an SC, but that both have systems that are marginal at best. Assuming that one does necessary upgrades (barrier hoses) and makes sure that the components are operating as good as possible, just how bad is the AC? Is it actually better than having the windows down?

Also, how much worse is the SC A/C compared to a 3.2 Carrera, is the SC just 50% as good as the Carrera, or more like 75%?

Thanks,

JTSR
Old 07-24-2006, 07:21 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A/C? These cars have a/c? Just kidding, I'm in Houston as well and I am planning a complete overhaul of my SC's sytem. Check the link below for good info:
http://www.rennaire.com/
Old 07-24-2006, 07:47 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 88 Carrera and the A/C gets down to 39 degrees at the outlets. Only when I let it set in the sun does it take a few minutes to cool down. I replaced most of the hoses with barrier hoses, but still have the R12 Freon in it. The SC system is limited due to the size of the outlets on the dash. Adding a "bulkhead vent" helps a lot since some cold air comes in under the dash and not through through it.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:14 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

I've had my 86' Carrera in Vegas and Palm Springs on 100+ days and the A/C worked fine. I'd just had the system recharged. Now, two+ years later it needs it again. 86' and later have the new larger vents in the dash. That probably helps some.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:36 PM
photoguy
Intermediate

I have an '83 SC that still has R12. I'm probably about due for a conversion but it's still doing a good job keeping me cool even in the worst heat of the day here in Florida.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:10 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I've begun the conversion process to R12. I'm not making the 'popular' modificaitons or purchasing the 'popular' retro-fit system. I'm doing some research and determining which is the best method of conversion for me, where I live, how and when i drive the car, and of course budget.

I would humbly suggest that anyone else in this conditon do the same. I've heard talk about very low temperature readings in the dash vent, but I suspect there are not as many of these cars out there as you might hope for. I know I missed out on one with this car. My AC has no refrigerant, unknown leaks, etc. but it is all there and I will systematically diagnose the thing if I must to enable it to work properly taking into account my previous criteria.
+++
Old 07-25-2006, 03:02 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest you track down the articles (last year?) in Excellence about upgrading the AC in our 911s. In my '87 I use HC12a rather than making the conversion to R134 or paying for R12. Some people think it will explode someday (due to lower flash point), but I plan to keep the engine compartment temp well under 1200F. Mine performs about like Spider's & NOH2O's: low 40s & it is time to replenish after 2 years. Park in the shade &/or use reflectors & tint. Keep us posted.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Kevinb
Intermediate

I am not sure if any one is interested. If you do want to keep your R12 system. It does work better than the R134 stock, you can get your license to purchase R12 legally. There is an online test you can take. You need a EPA section 609 license. This is the website to get it. I did it a few years ago.
http://www.epatest.com/ The test is $20.00. if you download the manual study a bit it is easy to pass. You may want to take the section 608 license and be able to fix your home AC also.

I do though recommend changing the hoses to barrier type and the dryer before refilling. This way you start with a fresh system that will not leak.

Kevin B
Old 07-25-2006, 08:25 AM
rscredon
Instructor

My '87 blows cold, but to really feel it I have to have the blower on the highest setting. It has been converted to R134 a few months ago. Temp of the A/C isn't a problem getting the cold air into the cabin is. Perhaps I need to replace a blower motor.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:41 AM
JBO
Instructor

Mine in my SC was updated years ago and still works well, if I'm the only one in it and can direct both center vents on me, and it's not much over 90. The 3.2's are not any better until they went to the larger vents, which I think was 86, and then they are only a little better. I hear the 964's and forward are much better.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:16 AM
bmcallister
Instructor

I have an '85 (black on black coupe with dark tinted windows - the window tint helps but he paint does not) recently charged with R12. In 95 degree weather I found that it is pretty hard to get the interior cooled down if it is parked in the sun with windows/sunroof closed. A quick blast with sunroof/windows and throttle wide open will dissipate the interior heat. Then I turn on the A/C and close all windows. The interior temp. stabilized around 78. That's good enough for me, but if you like your A/C...
Old 07-26-2006, 03:50 AM
faithless
Pro

Word on the street is, replacing your components with more modern types improves it a lot... not just barrier hoses (although it helps a lot when there is roughly 40 feet of hose in the car... all liable to leak). www.griffiths.com has components. Apparently people even retrofit ANOTHER condenser in the fender, to help out more. I believe that would make it four condensers???
Old 07-26-2006, 10:28 PM
pgrunwald
Instructor

This was posted on the PCA tech mailing list for 911's - anyone try this new stuff?

Also BTW , I was standing in line at a lunch place talking with the head Porsche mechanic from the local dealer and he told me just to put schrader valve on my current system, don't change anything else, and charge it with R134 every year and don't spend any more money.

You are subscribed to the 911 ('78 SC to '89 Carrera) from the PCA.org Technical Q&A Section

Classification: Heat and Ventilation
Subject: Refridgerant replacement for R12
Model: 911
Year: 1984
Total Mileage: 125,000
Car Use: General

Question:
Chris,

This is in response to a recent member who questioned whether R-12 was available. His mechanic recommended conversion to R-134. This of course would be an expensive option since it also requires modifications to the AC system.

Well, I believe I found the answer. After some searching, I found an alternate refridgerant (R-414B) that is as proficient (personal experience) if not better (according to manufacturers) than R-12 . It is completely compatible with mineral oil based systems.

I would recommend they first have the AC tested for leaks. If all is well, have it charged it R-414B.

Answer:
Thanks for the update! This is what I had been thinking about, but have had no experience with it.

Chris Powell - PCA WebSite - 6/9/2006
Paul
---------
'87 Targa

Quick Reply: How bad is the AC, really?