Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Start up problem - 88 3.2 help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 03:05 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start up problem - 88 3.2 help...

Have read similar threads but want to state my situation and see if you all can narrow down potential problem faster. My 1988 3.2 with about 70K all stock gave me a fit last weekend when it decided suddenly to not start.

I had just driven about 500 miles, took a few breaks for gas, food, etc but basically ran hard most of the trip. 400 miles in at one stop I turned the key and got nothing but tried again immediately and started right up - thought maybe I hadn't turned the key all the way. This is the first this had happened in my 3 years of ownership. One last stop 1 mile before my final destination and turned the key, gauges looked good, etc.. standard hum but no turn at the starter. Checked the ground strap on the trans housing and it was fine. Knew it was not battery but tried to jump start anyway with no luck. Got some help to push the car so I could pop the clutch - this worked and I was on my way.

At destination turned car off and tried to start and no luck. Decided it must be a bad connection/conductivity near starter that was made worse with the heat build up from the long trip. Let the car sit over night and tried in the morning. First turn gave lights, etc... but no turn at starter. Tried again immediately and started right up. Cut it off and let it sit for another day and it started fine. On the third day I started it up fine and drove home the entire 500 miles with out stopping the engine. Car ran excellent the whole way. Once I got home I cut it off and immediately tried to start it with no luck. Let it sit over night and tried to start it and no luck. Its now been 3 days and still will not start.

Where shall I begin???
Old 07-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

I believe all these cars suffer from the ignition switch going bad...cheapest place to start I think

Good Luck
Old 07-21-2006, 05:24 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus, verify whether the DME relay is good or bad. If you know someone with a good one, plug it into your car and see if the problem goes away. If that's the culprit, buy two...one for the car and a spare. They cause a lot of no start situations in Carrera's. How do I know?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:27 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

any idea on DME relay cost? Don't you think that the long drive and heat build up has something to do with this??? I've never had this problem before
Old 07-21-2006, 05:40 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Don't think so, but could be. The DME brain (computer) sits under the driver's seat and the DME relay is attached to one corner of the Brain box via a 10mm head nut. There is no real heat build-up since it is in the cab of the car. The relay is very easy to remove and replace. The brain box can also be removed while the seat is installed, but some guys like to remove the seat to allow for more room to work. The R&R of those two items are Do it Yourself project. I suggest you unplug the battery first to prevent any accidental foul ups with electrical current. Once installed, re-hook the battery.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:45 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Pelican has DME relay for 84-89 Carrera's for $30.50.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:50 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

If the car was running well & didn't die on you, I would second the ignition switch itself (electrical side). Mine also does this, sometimes takes 2-3 cycles of the key to make contact.

Where you said you turned the key & got nothing, then re-cycled the key & it started, I'd lean toward the switch. From memory the electrical switch is a ~$50 part, though you'll need new shear-bolts & will have to drill out the old ones as well.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:36 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

when I turn the key I do hear a hum so I believe it is making contact but not sending enough power to turn the starter... this is why I think it has something to do with conductivity and if there is a weak, corroded or loose contact between the battery and starter,the long drive and or heat may have made it worse?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:12 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Would that not be the fuel pump? Not sure on this one.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:07 PM
samoc
Intermediate

My 83 SC Cab does something similar.
I turn the key to start position,
I hear the fuel pump running,
I don't hear the starter solenoid click, or any noise at all from the starter motor.
Somtimes just holding the key in the start position for 3-4 seconds gets me a start. Sometimes I Ihave to wait a few minutes and try again.
Mostly it just starts first time.

I'm assuming it's not the key-switch because I'm assuming the fuel pump runs
off the same contact as the starter motor. Is this right?
Another possibility is that the alarm/imobiliser is causing the problem somehow.
Next time it happens I'll get a voltmemer onto the starter-motor and find out if
current is getting that far.
Is there a starter relay I can check in the '83? Where is it?

Sam
Old 07-21-2006, 10:19 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

not sure about the 83' but no relay on my 88' as the wiring is direct from battery to starter solenoid I believe
Old 07-21-2006, 10:38 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Your 88 is like my 88 Carrera. Under the drivers seat, there is a small black relay about 2" x 2" x 1 1/2" and is held down by a 10mm nut on one corner. It plugs into a small harness. The 84-89 Carrera's have this relay to activate the fuel pump when the ignition is turned on. The 78-83 SC's don't have it. Put your drivers seat all the way back and you'll see it. If you have power seats , raise the seat all way up and all the way back. It is on the left front corner of the DME Brain box.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:51 PM
madmmac
Instructor

I did this last December to mine and have had zero problems since. The key feels like it is engaging the switch, but it is not.

My key tumbler/ignition switch was not turning all the way into the engage starter position...turn the key and it was like hittting a wall prior to engaging the starter. This started out as happening every so often, but then, lucky for me it quit all together inside my garage.

I sprayed in some brake cleaner followed by using a magnetized mini flat screwdriver and massaged both the upper and lower tumblers inside the switch. I then went with WD-40 and repeated the process with the screwdriver and then my key.

Finally after a bunch of in and out (not the fun kind) I tried the key and bam, it worked. Tried it a few more times and everything seems to be good.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:50 AM
hokiefan
Intermediate

madmmac - when you turned the key as far you could did you hear any sound from the rear?? I get sound but no starter... I'll play with the ignition switch a bit to see what happens....
Old 07-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

If his problem were the DME relay and nothing else the car would still crank but not start. The problem is most likely at the switch or at the starter itself.

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA

Quick Reply: Start up problem - 88 3.2 help...