Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Removing Fan from Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Slotcar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Fan from Alternator?

How do you remove the fan from the alternator? I need to drop the fan/alternator out of the housing first (already removed the little nuts and washers)...hopefully the whole assembly will slide out with w/ little coaxing. Once the assembly is out, I'd like to remove the fan itself from the alternator, so I can have it bead blasted. Is there a special tool needed? It looks like there is a little tab on the threaded shaft, does that need to be depressed while removing the bolt?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:53 PM
stormmaster
Instructor

its a key lock to keep the fan from spinning on the shaft....it doesnt need to be depressed....just dont lose it.....
Old 06-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Slotcar
Advanced

you can use a regular wrench etc..and turn counter clockwise, while keeping the fan blade locked?
Old 06-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

slot: I keep a couple of 4 x 6 pieces of wood under the bench for this! After you have the 6mm nuts off hold the alternator housing a couple inches above the wood and drop it onto the wood, without hitting the center shaft of the alt. The alternator and fan will fall out, unless it's really tight, then you might have to drop it with a bit more force. Common sense here! Once you have the fan & alt out of the housing place the wood blocks just far enough apart so the alternator fits between them, and the fan blades rest on the wood. Now it gets tricky, because every assembly is different. You can break your fan at this stage. You have to make a judgement call as to how hard to tap the alternator shaft, whether or not to soak the shaft/fan with penetrant, etc. Usually the shaft will come loose from the fan with a few gentle taps with a mallet, but you must be careful doing this. By the way, the fan uses a "key" on the alternator shaft, just like your crank pulley, to locate it.
Pete
Old 06-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Slotcar
Advanced

that shaft looks threaded? Once I get the fan/althernator out of the housing I'll post another pic. Thanks for the advice Storm/Pete....
Old 06-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Slotcar
Advanced

Now this is funny....all that time debating how to get the fan off the alternator shaft. I set up to small sections of 2X4 and and turned the housing over (onto the wood platform), and the fan fell off with the key and spacer.

I sprayed the couple of drops of PB Blaster on the threaded area of the shaft...I left to grab a bite to eat....then came back and prepared to removing everything. I guess the penetrating oil did it's job! The Fan fell off first...once I removed those items off, I had to use the gravity drops on the platform to get the alternator out of the housing (fan shroud)...it came it out with no problem.

The alternator shaft is what throws you off....over thinking it. It's only threaded on the area above the nut....it's deceiving.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Hey slot .. be carefull with that bead blasting stuff....If i remember correctly that fan is magnesium and VERY soft.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Slotcar
Advanced

I've heard that glass beading is OK....sand blasting is a no no....

Quick Reply: Removing Fan from Alternator?