Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Shock reassembly won't clear fender.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:41 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shock reassembly won't clear fender.

I thought I was home free finally installing the new Bilstein HD inserts into my Boge struts. However, I guess because of the internal bump stops, I can't compress them like the old Boges (see pics). Fully pulled out the old shocks are the same height as the new Bilsteins, but I can't comress the new ones to tuck under the fender. Because of the brake lines my A-arms won't drop enough to allow me to tuck them under.

Any advice?
Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2006, 11:43 PM
ulrichd
Racer

BTW, I checked the serial no. from Performance Products. They are the correct units: Bilstein HD for Boge struts.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:54 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

I had the same problem. I now know mine are Bilstein struts with Bilstein sport inserts, and upside down. I solved it by grabbing the top of the shock and using my whole body weight to compress the shock, and then quickly getting it under the lip of the fender. It is a shock, so you should be able to compress it with yours too.

To avoid this problem on the otherside, I did the top of the shock first, and then attached the ball joint at the bottom second. But in retrospect, compressing it was much easier. To attach the ball joint second you have to line up everything just right, and then use a jack to push the ball joint pin up into the bottom of the shock. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:00 AM
ulrichd
Racer

Aaaaah, I see. I didn't remember that the Boges are not gas shocks so therefor are easily compressed. BTW, Iceman warned me about getting the old oil out of the tube. I was ready with a bucket and hand pump.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:10 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Grrrreat. Let us know how you do.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:01 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Ulrich , May be too late but did you remember to put the tape along your fender lip ( a tip from Pete ) .it may save a paint chip or two geting the strut under the lip.
So how did you end up getting the strut cap out?

I imagine it is all back together by now , I bet the other side goes by in about half the time. Oh what did you do for a tightening tool on your new strut cap?

all the best.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll find you need to lean into it enough to compress the shock, and push the control arm down some.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read your other thread. Make sure the jacks you've got under the struts are not keeping the control arms from swinging down when you lean on the strut.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:01 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

As you've already discovered, the new Bilsteins are much harder to compress than the tired, old Boges. I found that by compressing/decompressing the Bilsteins a few times using my body weight (and a block of wood on top of the shaft) and the garage floor, the new shocks loosened up a bit. I then compressed the shock, held it in a compressed state, dropped it into the strut, swung it up under the wheel well arch (protected with tape!), and let the shock decompress slowly as the top shaft slides through the upper hole. Hope this helps...

Keith
'88 CE coupe

Last edited by KC911; 06-09-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Keith has it right. Before assembly of Bilsteins you should always find a nice crack or small hole in the floor in which to place the bottom of the new insert, so it won't slip when you compress it. Then compress it and allow it to decompress all the way, I do this 5 times, and then assemble. This not only "wakes up" the shock, it makes it much easier to compress when you're ready to slip it under the fender.
Pete
Old 06-09-2006, 11:47 AM
ulrichd
Racer

That was a good tip. It really made the shocks much easier to push down. Both assemblies are now safely tucked inside. Thanks.

Man, I hope the rears are easier.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:53 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

The rears are somewhat easier .. mind you A blind guy doing it would have the dge on you in speed .. he is used to working on things he can't see :-)

Quick Reply: Shock reassembly won't clear fender.