Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Joined the ranks of the air-cooled crowd today

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 02:40 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Joined the ranks of the air-cooled crowd today

Someone told me that Porsches were like Laura Scudders potatoe chips..."becha can't have just one"...well today I followed up on an ad for an '87 slantnose turbo Cabriolet...and when he opened the garage door...I was had. It has 48K on the clock, and is absolutely pristine...my checkbook involuntarily jumped out of my pocket and it was over in a flash.

So now I have a '99 996 C2 and this beautiful example of a slantnose turbo (M505 option) in Guard's red. I can now qualify for both the air-cooled and the water-cooled boards. I hope I can remember how to post pictures. Here goes.

Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 06-08-2006 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Add a picture
Old 06-08-2006, 08:39 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
and when he opened the garage door...I was had
It gets 'em every time. Nice car! Enjoy it. Welcome to the air-cooled side.

Ian
Old 06-08-2006, 09:35 AM
rscredon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! Nice looking ride. Welcome to the dark side.

Rich
Old 06-08-2006, 10:20 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Love the plate, too!

Congrats, best of luck with both rides.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats Chuck! Looks like a great find. I like the piping on the seats, an option I wish mine had. Enjoy it!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow - car looks great! Congrats.

Marc
Old 06-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Ben Lovejoy
Advanced

Default Seats with red piping

Originally Posted by Jastx
Congrats Chuck! Looks like a great find. I like the piping on the seats, an option I wish mine had. Enjoy it!
Ironically, I've just removed the seats with red piping from mine to substitute the plain black ones from my former car (a 968). The red-piped ones will be for sale, but I would guess from your nickname that we're on opposite sides of the Atlantic, so that isn't likely to help much.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:32 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Way to go, Chuck! Did the coupe not pass muster?
Old 06-08-2006, 01:48 PM
onlycafe
Advanced

i thought it was lays potato chips. very nice car . as my grandmother would say,"drive it in good health."
Old 06-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. Nice 911.

Brett
Old 06-09-2006, 03:39 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

FastEddie: The coupe has passed muster and I've really enjoyed it and it's my daily driver...I just wanted something with the more classic lines...like your 87 that you have to go along with your '99. I also found that driving the slantnose turbo has a totally different feel to it...more raw power without power steering and more of a feel of the road coming through. I had no idea the driving experience would be that different...and I'm really taken with the difference in the experience. So now with the '87 and the '99, I am experiencing the entire spectrum of the P car from the air cooled to the water cooled, as well as the difference and variety offered by the coupe versus the Cabriolet, and I wouldn't trade either one. Chuck
Old 06-09-2006, 01:42 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chuck,

Looks great and must be quite rare. Any idea how many were built in that configuration: slant nose and cab?

Cheers
Chris
Old 06-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Hi Chris: Actually, I've been trying to research it. It came with authentication documentation from Porsche certifying that all the number are correct and that it was in fact a factory M505 slantnose and listed all the options that came with it. I have to laugh a bit, because when I was looking for just the right car, it seems like everyone I looked at was "rare" in some fashion or other. This particular one, from what I've been able to find so far...was one of about 20 some odd Cab's built or delivered but I'm not sure about the total number for all the years of production....so if my info is correct, then it actually might be a bit on the "rare" side....but there are others on this forum who are better versed in Porsche history and production figures than I am....bottom line is that it's truly an IMMACULATE example of an '87 original slantnose with accompanying documentation...that's about all I know at this point....except that I'm totally stoked over finding it, and absolutely love driving it. I only wish my wife was as enthusiastic about it as I am. Maybe I should have told her I was buying it rather than just park it in the garage so she could see it when she came home???? I guess women are wired differently than guys. She has been very gracious in offering to let me sleep out in the garage with it. Chuck
Old 06-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Ms Kita
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well Chuck, this woman loves it. The Slatenose is one of my favorites of all times. If I get the opportunity to acquire one, it would be just ON!. Great car, thanks for sharing. Give me a little more detail, where and how did you find "the jewel" and are there any extra's on board vs. stock?

P.S. Sounds like you need to make-up to the LADY of the house! Do your very best please her!!! We all cannot be Porsche Woman.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Ms Kita: Actually it was a total fluke. I had been looking all over the US and actually contacted folks in Mass, Texas, Arizona, the SF Bay Area, and a few other places as well. One night I'm perusing the Internet in pursuit of anything that looks good...and I see THAT car with great pictures and of all things.... an address IN THE SAME CITY I LIVE IN!! Righteously...after all that, and it's in a garage three miles from me. I hotfooted over there and like I said in an earlier post, when the garage door came up, it was a done deal. I went thru the paperwork...most of it is documented, but there are a few thousand miles that don't have a dealer's stamp in the oil changes or whatever...but the Porsche authentication is there with all the various entries for every option on it...everything is dead on stock and in showroom shape...I couldn't believe my good fortune. The options listed on the Certificate of Authenticity are: California Emissions, Steering wheel/raised hub,black tonneau cover, limited slip differential, forged alloy wheels, power operated top, slant nose package, and red piping leather seats. I had to put new front brakes on it today since the rotors were original, and the pads were down to where the warning light came on...but with only 46K on the odometer, it really didn't need much....even the AC worked and passed the vacuum test, but needed a few pounds of freeon but blew nice and cold. (I hope this isn't boring the forum readers).

Then the bad news....I was driving home from the shop and ran into a series of accidents on the freeway. One accident after another, and a lot of idle time in the hot sun. I tried several detours and ended up in lines waiting for a good 45 minutes. At a stoplight, without warning, there was a lound POP, and the engine died...no heat indicators on, no needles in the red zones. The car had been running on the warm side for some time in constant stop-and-go, but no where near any red danger zones. I started the car and it backfired loudly. Since I was right at a light, I tried to start it again, and another backfire accompanied by white smoke out the louvers in the back. For a second, I thought I had a fire back there. A carload of youngsters next to me ducked and yelled something about someone shooting!! I got it off to the side of the road, and tried to start it...several times, but there was no hint of an engine that it tired to fire up, and no further backfiring...so I just left it and called AAA. It's now in the garage....looks as beautiful as it did when I picked it up...BUT...so help me out folks.....given that it hadn't been driven hard....no warning...no heat indicators...then POP! Any ideas here?...........What do you think happened? Chuck

Quick Reply: Joined the ranks of the air-cooled crowd today