Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Gear Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:33 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ice, I've seen some really wierd fixes in 40 years...a lot came from Porsche. The "O" rings are just dampeners to take out the minute slack and prevent vibration. Who'd a thunk it.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
...we used to joke about putting a rubber band on something when we were faced with an unusually tough problem...
That and duck tape
Old 06-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I will update this post after I see the damage. Hopefully, I can take pictures as well.
I thought I would update my post, since I have been driving my car around a bit after the clutch was replaced. My mechanic installed a 993TT disc, which is different from the rubber disc and also different from the spring disc. The result: a very slight gear noise. Nothing to talk about. I am very happy with it actually.

I wasn't able to take pictures of the original rubber disc, but sure enough, the rubber center (which is huge, by the way - something like 6 or 7 inches in diameter of rubber) was split in half and had fallen off the disc. I actually had more rattle before the clutch job due to the failsafe system that the rubber disc uses when the rubber fails. Turns out, I had a bad clutch disc this whole time.

Anyway, my car survived 123,000 miles on the original disc and there was plenty of disc left.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:59 PM
pingman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
I have been reading all of these threads with great intrest. I am at the "crossroads". I need to replace a clutch, and I am tired of the gearshift rattle. It's hard to corner with one hand on the wheel and one hand on the the stick so you can listen to the whine of the tires! I have been watching dshepps threads because he is having the same expierences. I have an '87 911 G50 3.2 all original, 120,000 miles. I would love the bulletin if I could get it from you spider911. I also have an '86 911 915 3.2 with 128,000 miles that just recently had the clutch replaced. This car is a new aquisition, so I am still discovering it.There is no gear rattle or clutch chatter, or "judder?" Thank you all for taking the time to share your expertise. How do give my e-mail to you spider911? I do okay on cars but am pretty much a dumba@@ on a computer. Oh you noticed that huh? Anyway thanks for all the help.
Mark
Dublin, GA
Old 06-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark: I've also managed to find the bulletin - pm (find the "Welcome: ... " box at the top right of the Forum page and click on "Private Messages.") me with your fax number and I'll fax them to you if you can't get them from Spider.

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 06-15-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:22 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pingman: just wanted to update you with a current situation on my "rattle"......Since November's arrival of my 911, I've been closely attentive to any/all sounds, especially from the tranny area...having studied many threads, attempting to educate myself from the knowledgeable gents that reside here, as well as various other owners of a G50 environment. I felt (and still do) that I understand the "RATTLE" of the G50....particularly under a low RPM engagement...It IS a specific noise....however:

just recently, upon taking off from a red light, the shifter suddenly became quite sloppy (laterally). FREAKED ME OUT!!!! She still shifts ok BUT one can tell (easily) that there's more play than should be. My research (and this great group) revealed that something has occurred in the shifter mechanism.....possibly bushings (although my son-in-law, Toyota master tech says he thinks that a screww has come loose)....While awaiting ANY/ALL parts ordered to tackle this problem, I've had the opp to still drive her on occassion,..learning to be gentle on the proper positioning during shifts...all works seemingly normal. BUT,...The present state she's in will definately generate rattle,..some of which has the same characteristics as what I was terming "G50 rattle", although NOT exactly. I've had NOTHING that has been symptomatic to this failure (whatever it may ultimately be..). I'm quite interested to see what the gearbox sounds like once we address this "sloppy" issue....mmmmmm?

I'll post once we've completed the work...Should this G50 become quiet afterwards (as some ARE QUIET),..I may, very well, have learned something........

My best,
Old 06-15-2007, 08:32 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Pingman: what's you're location?

Best,
Old 06-15-2007, 11:12 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pingman, send your e-mail address to me at rmcatee@satx.rr.com and I'll send the info.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:30 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Hi Joe Rose,
I know this thread has been a long time but if you can remmember, may I ask at what RPM you meant "under load"?
After having the spring center disk in your G50, you said: "I'm now hearing more "gear rattle" in higher gears (4th and 5th) when the engine is under load"
Thanks Joe.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, that's a good question--it has been a long time. I actually went out today and drove my car in both 4th and 5th gear over the back roads where I remember the gear rattle noise being objectionable.
My best guess is that putting the car under load in these gears at around 2000 rpm or so was what bothered me so much. The car pulls well enough at these rpm's, but the gear rattle was bad. Hope this helps.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:17 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Thanks Joe.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:54 AM
Boydrsr
Advanced

Hi great thread and I’m about to replace the clutch in my 88 g50. Can some one post the part number for the spring centred clutch required or will a 930 turbo fit and work? I see ref to a 993TT plate being used also so are there many options as only want to fit this once?

Quick Reply: Gear Rattle