Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Numbers stamped in dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 05:01 PM
Ken Wells
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Numbers stamped in dash

Doing some interior repair work, ran across some numbers stamped in the area covered up by the knee pad, underneath the radio. Matches neither the VIN, engine or transmission number. Curious what it means.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:16 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

From what I have read in other forums, that is the actual chassis production number. In early cars (pre-1969 or around that time), the number did match the VIN - but since then it has not. From what I understand, the VIN's get stuck on at different times in the production cycle, which is why they do not match. For example. some cars get sent for options, etc which can give them a later VIN/completion date than the chassis production number. It looks like yours was #6865 of 1973 model year.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:17 PM
Ken Wells
Track Day

Interesting, thank you. My car was built 4/73

Originally Posted by myflat6
From what I have read in other forums, that is the actual chassis production number. In early cars (pre-1969 or around that time), the number did match the VIN - but since then it has not. From what I understand, the VIN's get stuck on at different times in the production cycle, which is why they do not match. For example. some cars get sent for options, etc which can give them a later VIN/completion date than the chassis production number. It looks like yours was #6865 of 1973 model year.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:55 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

From another thread elsewhere:Production number: WXYZZZZ
1. First digit represents whether the body is a replacement or standard production – 0 designates a replacement body, 1 designates a production body. A production body is one used for a regular production car while a replacement body is a basic bare body used to reconstruct a badly damaged car, or in some cases was used to build a race car from scratch.
2. Second digit is the body type and where it was built – 0 designates a Stuttgart coupe, 1 designates a Stuttgart targa, 2 designates a Karmann coupe, 3 designates a Karmann 914/6. Note that there is no differentiation between 911 and 912, nor for sunroof or any other body variation such as the RS.
3. Third digit is the model year – in this case the 9 represents 1969, a 0 would represent 1970, a 1 for 1971, etc. In the case of the 914/6 in 1970 only, the year digit is missing on the body shell, but present on the dash (which is a bolt on part) and the body and dash numbers may be slightly different.
4. The last four digits are a sequential serial #
Old 11-25-2018, 04:13 AM
Ken Wells
Track Day

Originally Posted by raspritz
From another thread elsewhere:Production number: WXYZZZZ
1. First digit represents whether the body is a replacement or standard production – 0 designates a replacement body, 1 designates a production body. A production body is one used for a regular production car while a replacement body is a basic bare body used to reconstruct a badly damaged car, or in some cases was used to build a race car from scratch.
2. Second digit is the body type and where it was built – 0 designates a Stuttgart coupe, 1 designates a Stuttgart targa, 2 designates a Karmann coupe, 3 designates a Karmann 914/6. Note that there is no differentiation between 911 and 912, nor for sunroof or any other body variation such as the RS.
3. Third digit is the model year – in this case the 9 represents 1969, a 0 would represent 1970, a 1 for 1971, etc. In the case of the 914/6 in 1970 only, the year digit is missing on the body shell, but present on the dash (which is a bolt on part) and the body and dash numbers may be slightly different.
4. The last four digits are a sequential serial #
I thought the third character was a 9 but guess it is a 3 (for 1973) instead. Appears to be.stamped after the dash had been painted.

Quick Reply: Numbers stamped in dash