Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1973 911 2.7 ---opinions pls

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:00 AM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 911 2.7 ---opinions pls

hello all...been looking up and down the p-car line up, from 993s to '73 rs clones...came across this car on pelican, looks and sounds pretty well done...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=279613

anyone know or seen this car? opinions? how bout pricing?

i am looking for a sometimes driver and sometimes DE car and this one seems like it would be fun...i know a coupe would be better at the track and a sc or carrera would also make more sense but these old ones sure are cool

how crazy am i for considering these earlier cars?? i would get a PPI or 2 and would do a bit more research before purchasing but didnt know if i am being realistic...

thanks again
boze
Old 05-11-2006, 02:27 AM
quattrorunner
Instructor

That car is a dream. I can't think of anything I would like to add other than I really would like to see it in my garage. And you know what sells it for me? It's the red sport seats. Yumm. I wouldn't think of it for a DE car but thats just me. It's an awsome evening cruiser or spirited sunday driver. No doubt a looker. Good luck
Old 05-11-2006, 02:28 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

That looks pretty nice. The (less-molested) early cars keep gaining value.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:25 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Be sure you want a targa.

Early cars have a premium price. They are lighter, prettier, and more elemental than other 911s. We might be at a market top, or we might look back in 5 years and wish we'd bought now...
Old 05-11-2006, 01:38 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a very pretty car, and appears to be done to a very high standard.

That said, an RS clone on a targa is a bit unusual. The market for the pre-74 cars is strong, but alot of that is based on very origional cars... the market for clones and hot-rods is a different market with different dynamics.... so you cannot really equate the two except at a very general level.

Finally, $30K is a ton of money... you can buy alot of really really nice cars for that, so if this is the exact car of your dreams, then based on what it would probably cost to duplicate it, it may not be a bad deal, but it is certainly no bargain... cars like this tend to be very personal and have a very thin market.

A 1973 car that is in top mechanical condition can be a very good daily driver and track car... however, with any 30-year old car, it will have more potential wear than a 20-year old car or a 10-year old car.

If it is in top shapte you can certainly track it, but it will expose the car to a certain amount of risk... stone chips, off track excursions, etc can cause cosmetic wear... this car looks pretty nice to use for heavry track work...
Old 05-11-2006, 03:41 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

very wise advice

also... it always costs more to modify a car than to buy one already modified... assuming it is now exactly what you'd do to it yourself
Old 05-11-2006, 07:30 PM
VinnyC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That interior is incredible. Those sport seats in red are so rare if they are orig.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:22 AM
boze_man
Pro

excellent feedback...much appreciated....

as much as i think this car is very well done and cool it probably doesnt suit my needs in a single porsche garage...

just need to convince the wife that this is the car she needs...

will keep looking...

thanks again
boze
Old 05-25-2006, 03:25 PM
boze_man
Pro

hello again....revisited the car from my original post (see link above)...also came across a similar one...
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=274972

both look pretty cool and well done...as you know by my posts i am looking for a part-time driver and de car, to have some fun in....my feeling is you dont get a pcar to keep cooped up in the garage, washed and polished, it needs to be driven and driven properly...so where do u do that (safely)...at the track...at least DE's...i would love to race but dont really have any expereince (yet)...could see myself moving into a track only car at some point but figure test waters first...so what am i trying to say? i dunno...

with that said can someone pls comment:

1. what is a fair price for these cars? not what he has in it but mkt price?
2. am i going to hate the targa on the track/de? (but i am sure i will love on sunny days...i drive with my windows/sunroof open most of the year, but not really a ragtop guy) so can the targa satisfy both needs?
3. it is restored so should be a fairly reliable car, as long as it is done correct, right? also should be a lot easier to DIY than a 993??
4. anything on these car seem odd?...any mods seem odd?
5. is the only reason these cars arent selling the asking price??
6. seriously am i an idiot to even DE cars like these ??
7. which one to consider??

again thanks for the feedback and hope i am not drivin u guys crazy...
bill
Old 05-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

bill: Have you spent time living with an MFI car yet? Are you aware of their tendency to run a little ragged at different revs, and the extreme cost of repair should it be needed. MFI cars are wonderful - I've spent many years straightening out the injection on a large number of them - but if you don't have someone in your geographical area that knows the cars be very careful what you're getting involved with. Not only does the MFI pump have to be recently re-done, so must the throttle bodies. It's much easier to do things wrong on an MFI car than to do things right. The shop that you will use has to be experienced, and they have to be detail-oriented to the max. I'm afraid that MFI is not a DIYer friendly system, which is the primary reason so many early cars have been switched over to carbs, or a 3.0 engine, or a 3.2 engine. I think that it's safe to say that a high quality MFI car, today, should be used as nothing more than a 3rd, even a 4th, car in a family.
Pete

Quick Reply: 1973 911 2.7 ---opinions pls