Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Convertible top rear window - What do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 10:45 PM
chuck bernstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Convertible top rear window - What do you do?

I have an 87 911 cabriolet.When you put the top down,do you unzip the window or do you put in a soft cloth or pillow to prevent scratches. Maybe the top comes down this weekend in NY.

Thx
chuck
Old 04-12-2003, 12:20 AM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have an '87 Cabrio as well and I have never unzipped the rear window. The PO said it was extremely difficult to zip back in. However, I always put a large terrycloth towel in the window fold to prevent scratching. I do have an issue with the corners of the window stitching coming undone, which had started when I bought the car 2 years ago. Maybe that is due to not unzipping the window? I'd be interested in other opions on that too!
Old 04-12-2003, 10:28 AM
realtime
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an '87 cab too and although I believe its not required, I do unzip the window and put a towel in place before I put the top down. My zipper is tough but not impossible to open/close - the leather tab helps as a hand hold. I find it also helps to release the front two hold down latches - takes the tension off - before I unzip it to open and I zip the window before I close the latches when I put the top up.

Happy motoring,
Dan
Old 04-12-2003, 10:43 PM
Dennis in SE PA
Advanced

realtime got it right. I also have an 87 cab. ALWAYS unzip the window so it does not get folded. And release the tension before unzipping, zip before tensioning. My car has its original top and rear window. It needs a little stitching in 1 1/2 spot on both sides to repair small "splits" in the top material. Other than that it looks very good. OK, it only has 60K miles and is a garage queen, so that helps.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:18 AM
carnut169
Advanced

Ditto... always unzip. My 87 has the orig top and it is in fantastic shape.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:26 AM
DMaugle
7th Gear

I'll vote for the unzip option as well since I cracked my window last weekend. It was nice enough to drive topless but apparently too cold for folding the window. Wish I had read this a week and a half ago. Now seeking a good shop to do the replacement. DaveM
Old 04-14-2003, 09:26 AM
DMaugle
7th Gear

I'll vote for the unzip option as well since I cracked my window last weekend. It was nice enough to drive topless but apparently too cold for folding the window. Wish I had read this a week and a half ago. Now seeking a good shop to do the replacement. DaveM
Old 05-12-2003, 11:26 PM
Beets
4th Gear

I've never unzipped mine in the 6+ years I've owned it. No cracks, no scratches, a slight "fold" that's all.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:05 PM
Bill W.
Advanced

My '88 came to me with a new top, I didn't unzip but did place a thick towel in the window to protect it. The plastic had a very noticable fold crease w/in a few mos. Now I unzip and the crease mark is almost gone, I will continue to unzip first.

Bill W.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:54 PM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Unzip in cold weather or when plastic at all dirty. In warm weather with clean window I often don't bother. However if I was to leave the hood down for any period of time I'd definitely unzip.

If the plastic is marked or scratched you'd be surprised how special cleaners can improve the problem (I bought a Zymol pack which included cleaner and wax protector).

Creases will disappear if they are "young".
Old 05-14-2003, 10:02 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
While I am still trying to move to the air-cooled Porsche side of things, I currently run a 944S2 Cab. I got one of the window pillows from Tweaks for $15 or so. Slide that in while the top is going back and it keeps the window from rubbing on itself. Performance Parts may carry something similar. It's a little fatter than one of those draft stopper you can drop in front of a door in the winter.

Quick Reply: Convertible top rear window - What do you do?