Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

best seats at Road America

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 01:32 PM
Chris Blum
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question best seats at Road America

Never been to road american for the CART road race. Where would one see the best action??
Old 11-12-2001, 02:12 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Behind the wheel!
Old 11-12-2001, 02:26 PM
Chris Blum
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would love to drive there and plan on joining next year's DE there. I looked at Skip Barber, but it's too much $
Old 11-12-2001, 03:10 PM
tchanson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris,
It appears that it will be the last opportunity to hear those wonderful turbo engines in their natural habitat.

That being said, RA is so big (just over 4 miles) and so open, that there are great vantage points all over. Milwaukee Region PCA has a Porsche Park area at turn 1.

There are some stands set up at the bottom of the hill for turn 3.

Turn 5 is one of the best viewing points, as the cars come down a long straight and brake heavily for the 90 degree left hander.

Fireman's Hill has stands that allow you to see the cars coming through Hurry Downs.

There is infield access to the Carousel.

There are stands at Canada Corner which is a prime passing area, and also at Turn 14, the sharp right hander before the cars go up the hill on the long front straight.

With Paddock Access, you will be able to go pretty much anywhere you want. Not many places like it.

Date hasn't been announced, but it appears that there will also be an ALMS weekend scheduled in July next year that may warrant your first visit prior to the August CART date.

In any event, you're in for a treat. More info at the Road America web site.

Tim
Old 11-12-2001, 06:39 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
I have been to several CART races. Road America is one of the best. It is Wisconsin at its best. Bring comfortable shoes, an empty stomach, and a designated driver. Just get there early, as the traffic can get bad. There is some parking next to the track, so picnicing is an option.

The NordStern DE was the Thursday-Friday following the CART race this last August. Go for the CART Race and stay for the DE.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:34 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Chris:

Tim and Billy are right on the money. The Labor Day weekend PCA-Chicago sponsored races and the mid-July Brian Redman International Challenge races are two of my favorite weekends there.

Don't forget to check out the small town of Elkhart Lake right up the road for good food and drink after the races.

Turn 5 is always a good spot. Here's a (poor) shot of turn 5 from Labor Day:

Jay
90 964
Old 11-14-2001, 11:53 AM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Here is another shot of turn 5 from a different angle.
Old 11-15-2001, 04:41 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would have to say Canada Corner...as a driver, whenever I came flying into that turn, it was funny to notice all the people in the stands, plus the uphill before the bridge is a great passing zone, especially for those high-powered CART cars!

Quick Reply: best seats at Road America