paint bubbles

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 12:07 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post paint bubbles

Need some advice/guidance (as usual)-

Was waxing my '86 black coupe recently adn noticed 2 small areas (<1/4") of bubbled paint peeking out from under the seal on the left rear window (bottom). No breaks in the paint.

My guess is that it originates at some glass mounting hardware wher the galvanizing is nicked and dissimilair metals sets up a "galvanic" action.

My question is how urgent is it to fix this.I'm not a "body" man but I suspect I can leave this until some major body work/repaint is due.
Old 11-14-2001, 01:40 PM
Paul Brewer
Advanced

Since that isn't a structural area you can leave it until you want to repaint the entire car.
Old 11-14-2001, 04:20 PM
R22tech
Advanced

Are you sure it isn't a rust bubble? If it is- fix it ASAP.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:40 PM
gerry100
Pro

How do you tell?

It's obviously some kind of chemical reaction going on ( ie corrosion ), but I can't see any rust, Just bubbled paint.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:16 PM
r22tek
Advanced

The location you described suggests rust. Have a body shop take a peek- they will know in a second if it is a rust bubble! This would be a "top priority repair" item if it turns out to be rust for obvious reasons. Don't ignore it.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:16 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Unfortunately, rust bubbles do almost always indicate some "cancer" -- i.e. rust -- growing underneath the paint. Water & dampness love to hide under the alloy trim & rubber seals on our p-cars.

And rust is kind of like cockroaches: where you see one or two, there could be dozens or hundreds.

A little rust bubble could end up being a symptom of a quarter-sized spot of corrosion, up to a few inches of rotted steel.

If it were my car, I'd have a qualified body guy take a look before it gets much worse.

Cheers,
Old 11-15-2001, 10:34 AM
Paul Brewer
Advanced

Originally posted by r22tek:
<STRONG> This would be a "top priority repair" item if it turns out to be rust for obvious reasons. Don't ignore it.</STRONG>
Unless a structural area of the car is under attack, it might not pay to rush off and have that rust repaired unless that's part of a proper disassembly/strip/repaint of the entire car (prices strat at $7500 for that treatment here in Detroit). Chances are good that the complete quater panel will require replacing so it wouldn't hurt to delay the repair. Also, if the car's a color which is difficult to match, Gerry might be unhappy with the outcome.
If it were my car I'd put the repair off up to 1 year in order to execute a complete and proper rust repair as opposed to a "spot" repair and repaint the entire car all at once.

Quick Reply: paint bubbles