Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

82' SC Heater Controls

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 12:34 PM
redidrum
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 82' SC Heater Controls

What position do I need to have the three sliders on the dash and the two middle floor defrost handles in to get optimum heat in my car ???

I was out last night and it was cold. Never did get the correct settings. I just repaired the rear flapper valves that were stuck halfway open. Wd 40 and a wire brush did the trick. Thanks guys for helping me solve that issue.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 01-26-2006, 01:40 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 01-26-2006, 02:53 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ron,

The heater control is between the seats. Red levers pulled up = heat. The slider in the dash [lower one] directs the heat up or down.

todd
86 coupe
Old 01-26-2006, 03:19 PM
redidrum
Pro

Todd,

I know that, but, What about the top and middle sliders? I slide the top one to the right halfway and the fan light comes on and I don't feel or hear any fan engaging. Is the middle one fresh air? Possible bad heater fan? Where does it live? Should it be to the far left for max. heat? I tried numerous combinations last night. I need someone to drive my car while I mess with them.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 01-26-2006, 03:31 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You seem to have quessed it. The top ones impact the fresh air only fan and the middle slider directs the fresh air to the up/down direction. Middle and top don't directly affect heat

todd
86 coupe
Old 01-26-2006, 03:43 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is for Autoheat, but the dash controls remain the same.

Ian
Old 01-26-2006, 03:44 PM
redidrum
Pro

Todd,

Okay, so for max. heat I should have the top and middle sliders to the far left and the lower one in the middle to keep heat up and down. Does that sound correct? Sure seemed like I was getting too much fresh air in last night.

Thanks Again,

Ron
Old 01-26-2006, 03:51 PM
jet911
Pro

That is correct. Getting too much fresh air? I would love to get more fresh air in my car in the spring/fall, without having to turn on the loud, noisy fresh air fan. There does not seem to be much air flow in my cabin without turning on fans. Lets see, fresh air fan, heater fan, footwell fans, air conditioner fan, oh boy, I guess we have a corner on the fan market....

Good luck!

Toasty and warm in my '86 Coupe
Jim
Old 01-26-2006, 03:54 PM
jet911
Pro

One other thing, crawl under the car where you can get a good look at the flappers. Then have someone pull the levers in between the seats up and down a couple times. You should see the flappers close and open, close and open. If they don't, you won't get much heat and you'll need to take another look at the cable's or the flappers themselves.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2006, 04:22 PM
redidrum
Pro

My car is different than the picture. Has just three sliders. I just fixed the flappers. They ops check good. top = far left, middle = far left, and lower = middle ??? Clear as mud. Thanks, Ron
Old 01-26-2006, 04:46 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Look at the control. The direction of the white triangles tells you the direction of the airflow - both for fresh air control & heated air. So the hot air distribution lever - the bottom one - controls WHERE. Left for heat in floor area - right is up for defrost.

See Heat Controls for more.

Ian
Old 01-26-2006, 06:32 PM
jet911
Pro

If your flappers shut, you will get some heat in the car regardless unless there is a blockage somewhere. Can you hear the fan in the engine compartment running? That is the main heater blower fan and it should activate when you pull up on one of the levers between the seats. The other lever is to open/close the flappers. At least that is what I understand after reading about a hunderd posts on this topic. You should get max heat if everything is working correctly if you pull up both levers between the seats, have the top lever on the dash all the way to the left (cuts off fresh air), the middle lever won't do anything if the top lever is to the left. The bottom lever to the left for heat to your feet or to the right for heat to the windshield or in the middle to feed heat to both.

If you're still confused or it does not work, try a search on the topic both here and on Pelican as this topic has been discussed at length.

Good Luck!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:12 AM
redidrum
Pro

Had Blown Relay in Engine Bay! With floor handles up, I finally have hot air. Top and middle controls to the extreme far left, bottom slider in the middle gives nice heat. Pull floor handles up and I can feel the engine compt. fan blowing. Flapper valves in rear were done earlier to loosen up.

Thanks for the help guys!

Ron

Quick Reply: 82' SC Heater Controls