Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Survey: gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 08:09 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Survey: gas mileage

I am interested in how my car is running (new to P). Let do a little fun survey on it.

average 20 MPG.
Daily 90% freeway but heavy traffic most of the time.
88 engine with 66,xxx miles
wide body conversion with 16" Fuch wheels.
No mod except K&N drop air filter and Borla muffler.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:07 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Average 3 - 20 minute track sessions.
Track only.
78 3.0 L engine s/p complete rebuild with ported/polished heads, 964 cam's, Andial valve springs and new rockers/retainers, bottom end completely inspected.
Many mod's. Wallet much lighter.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:56 AM
S2TGART
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Back in late Oct. I drove to New Hampshire, average 75 mpg (OK a couple of sprints to 100), with a friend in the car and got 23.7 mpg. This number stand out in my mind because I was very surprised.
I keep telling myself to not "stretch" my right leg so much, for at least one tank's worth of gas. So that I can see what I could get idealy, for fuel economy.
Here is the ironic thing, my MB diesels, in the winter get in the mid 20's also, but diesel cost more than any grade gas. So, that would make my 911 the family economy car.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:31 PM
wholberg
Advanced

17.5 mpg for in-town driving, never above 45 mph.
24 mpg at 70 mph
26.5 mpg at 55-60 mph.
1987 911 Carrera (Factory Turbo Look)
98,XXX miles.
My daily driver
Old 12-27-2005, 12:22 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Gas mileage ? ......go buy a civic, drive it like its designed, W...I...D....E open
Old 12-27-2005, 03:41 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

S2TGART,
When you say 75mpg, you mean 25 right? :lol:

fixnprsh,
you don't know what you are talking about. Mine 911 get average of 20 mpg, also many other get even more. You don't think Porsche think about fuel economy while designing their cars? Do you do wide open ALL THE TIME?

All,
I surprise when I see average of 20 mpg on my 911 87 wide body. I assume that the wide body and wheels/tires are a little heavier than the normal body style. Also, I don't race on the highway but sometimes I do drive a little agressive. Happy happy.

Last edited by rnln; 12-27-2005 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:36 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rnln
S2TGART,
fixnprsh,
you don't know what you are talking about. Mine 911 get average of 20 mpg, also many other get even more. You don't think Porsche think about fuel economy while designing their cars? Do you do wide open ALL THE TIME?
Nah, he knows EXACTLY what these cars are all about, it's those of you concerned with gas mileage that don't have a clue...buy a Prius if that's what you're after . IMO, if you don't keep her in the powerband 3500+ rpms (and forget mileage), why are you driving a sports/race car?

Keith
'88 CE coupe

ps: As far as gas mileage goes...don't know, don't care...
Old 12-27-2005, 09:17 AM
emac
Racer

As the old saying goes-- If you want to know how many miles per gallon it gets -- you can't afford it.

Ernie 81 SC
Old 12-27-2005, 10:31 AM
S2TGART
Instructor

Yes, I meant 75 mph.
Personally I am not concerned about fuel economy per se, I am just curious as to what I could get, "IF" I drove lightly. For me, the sound of the engine above 3500 is too tempting. I am just impressed that these cars have the capability of such fuel economy.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are some numbers I've collected over the years on my cars and my brother's two SC's:

My previous 911 ('86 coupe, stock, 100k miles, exceptional condition mechanically):
28 mpg on the freeway at 65 mph
24 mpg average over the 4 years I owned it.

Brother's Euro Spec Turbo Look 1983 SC (no A/C, no sunroof, stock otherwise, 135,000 miles, exceptional condition):
28-32.5 mpg on the highway at 55-60 mph
26-27 mpg 55-65 mph highway
23-24 mpg hard driving

Brother's 1983 SC (Euro spec, needs tune up and tires, 78,000 miles):
19-20 mpg mixed driving.

My 964:
19-20 mpg hard driving.
24 mpg highway.

I'm an accountant, so I enjoy numbers. I'm also interested in sometimes seeing how economical these performance cars are at times. I've purposely taken the above cars out and drove them gently to see how they would do with fuel economy. I'm also positive that Porsche was very interested in these numbers as well.

Respectfully, please keep in mind that there are different strokes for different folks. That's why we have fully prepped track cars all the way down to never driven garage queens that are for concours only. Everyone has a different purpose for their cars.

Jay
90 964
Old 12-27-2005, 01:21 PM
wholberg
Advanced

I have always monitored gas mileage as a tool for recognizing mechanical issues before they become serious. A sudden drop in gas mileage, without an obvious reason, has always been harbringer of mechanical problems, regardless of vehicle. And, as I am one of the few who use their 18 year old Porsche as a daily driver, in fact, I have no secondary vehicle, fuel economy and preventive maintenance is more important to me than someone who can afford to park their car for a couple of weeks.

I agree with those who say that you should not buy a 911 for fuel economy, if you need that, buy a Prius. Still, it is nice to drive a classy, instantly recognizable, "elite" sports car, and know that I am getting better gas mileage than nearly every SUV in this country. People who have asked me about the gas mileage are shocked when I tell them I average about 20 mpg.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:41 PM
S2TGART
Instructor

I drive my 911 as often as I can. As long as there is no snow/ice on the road, or melting snow with road slat mixed in, I'll drive the car. Just as I am doing today. The roads are dry, so play ball.
I like the fact that if driven conservatively(under 3500), the car is an economy car. "Stretch" your leg a bit, and it becomes a completely different animal. It's like having 2 cars in one.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:44 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is great to pass other sports / GTs at the pump as well as on the road.
Fuel economy is an important component of the overall performance envelope, esp for a sports car. Porsche certainly has paid close attention to this, as exampled by Beetle & 356 development, attention to aerodynamics, response to the cost of fuel (esp in Europe) & the evolution of the 911 series. To excell at endurance racing, a car having lengthy refueling intervals (achieved by combining capacity with efficiency & aside from tank size & refueling rules mandated by sanctioning bodies) has an "unfair advantage". Porsche became the "giant-killer" in its endurance racing history through reliability, excellent handling, fine drivng &, yes, fuel economy. Also, of course, monitoring fuel economy is a great way to assess the state of tune of your car - comparing to original factory spec, determining if repair is needed, &/or the effect of modifications.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:52 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay H
Respectfully, please keep in mind that there are different strokes for different folks. That's why we have fully prepped track cars all the way down to never driven garage queens that are for concours only. Everyone has a different purpose for their cars.

Jay
90 964
I hope my earlier post didn't come across wrong... it was my feeble attempt at humor . But now you guys have raised an issue that's got me curious... Did 'good gas mileage' REALLY factor into the design of the 911, or is it just a nice bonus? I surely don't know, but considering the price of gas back in the early 60's, I can't imagine that gas mileage was a 'real design criteria'. Do any of you Porsche history buffs know for sure? Thanks...

Keith
Old 12-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

KC,

No harm, no foul. Here's some possible proof Porsche was interested in fuel economy at least in the '80's.

From my 1986 factory brochure:

"Porsche engineering development has guided [the 1986 911] to become steadily more "sensible": more economical, environmentally cleaner, with longer service intervals, increasing levels of active safty and ergonomic driving comfort."

From the body section of the brochure:

"The lines of the 911 Carrera define the quintessential sports car...Aerodynamically effective lines that directly influence fuel consumption..."

The next page reads:

"Together with the electronic ignition and fuel management systems technology, the body shape plays the most important role in realizing high stability and performance concurrent with low fuel consumption. Since total wind resistance is derived as a product of drag coefficient and frontal area of the vehicle, both components together result in a total wind resistance of 0.71 m2, on the 911 Carrera, ~ an important factor contributing to the fuel consumption figure of 17 estimated mpg (city), 25 estimated mpg (highway): astonishingly low for a high performance sports car capable of reaching more than 145 mph and accelerating from zero to 60 mph in 6.3 seconds."

From the engine page (how whimpy is this?):

"The torque curve allows this well mannered power plant to be driven effortlessly at lower RPMS, making an economical, relaxed driving style routine."

From all of these references (and there are several more throughout the brochure) in just a factory sales brochure, Porsche MUST have been very interested in fuel economy for the cars we are talking about in this post. Not a direct answer to KC's question about fuel economy in the '60's when the 911 was initially developed, but maybe it helps a bit anyway...

Quick Reply: Survey: gas mileage