Alarm has gone bad, need insight on replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alarm has gone bad, need insight on replacement options

Hi all, I did a search but was unsuccessful at finding any information on what brand/models of alarms people have in their cars.
My 84 didn't come with factory locking or alarm options and the aftermarket alarm (Hofco) that is in it has failed - entirely.
I'm looking to replace it and incorporate electric locks and a 'close the windows and sunroof' option as well.
Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on what might be worth looking at?
It has been nearly 15 years since I purchased or installed an aftermarket alarm, so although I have a good background, my knowledge is likely out-of-date as to the most reliable, etc. etc.

Any insight or caveats are welcome.
BTW, I'm not interested in any paging features, or the like, just a quality alarm that will possibly deter thieves and/or vandals.
+++
Old 11-14-2005, 10:36 PM
emac
Racer

Dan
Someone posted the same question a few days ago. I have had about five different alarms on many cars, when I got my P car I releazed that no one really pays attention to a car alarm and to be honest if they really want it they will get it. Im a retired PO and I know this to be fact. I have found that one of the best things you can have is a simple kill switch. I installed one and feel more secure with it than a alarm.

Ernie 81 SC
Old 11-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Celle
Advanced

Totally agree with Ernie. The alarm in my 89 Carrera (of the supposedly good Laserline brand) drove me so nuts, that I finally decided to throw it out (without removing the "visual" characteristics of it though )
Old 11-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I'm not unrealistic enough to expect that an alarm will actually prevent my car from being stolen. I do think it will reduce the liklihood of someone breaking into the car to steal my belongings and stereo. I would also like the added convenience of being able to roll up the windows, shut the sunroof and lock the doors from a remote.
+++
Old 11-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Dan: I'm with you all the way on this one. I bought my alarm from Haas Auto Stereo in Culver City. Jeff is a great guy and will take good care of you. I prepped my SC by removing all of the remaining Hofco alarm bits, took the driver's door panel off (I only did keyless on that side in order to give my wife another moment of protection when she drives the car), set up the door lock motor and took out the cardboard under the windshield (in the trunk). Jeff's guy pulled the alarm harness, cut everything to fit, shrink tubed it all and hooked it up. I opted to do a console LED, rather than on the door panel trim, but I might re-do that some day. The brand that Jeff sold to me is a Python, and it has "Panic," "no-start," "glass break," and a few other nice features. The park lights flash with arm, disarm commands. The system was done in '02 and has worked perfectly since.
Pete
Old 11-15-2005, 03:58 PM
zflea
Cruisin'

Is there any problem with leaving factory alarm as is and installing python type system. Also I would like to add the keyless entry but would need to add actuators b/c my 87 does not have power locks. Is this a problem? I was going to a circuit city to get this done and am a little concerned about it.
thanks
z
Old 11-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Circuit City is NOT where you want to go to have a 911 worked on! Check your yellow pages for an Auto Specialty place that does stereo and alarm work. Call a couple of local dealers, preferably Porsche, VW, etc., and find out who does their work. If you have a local Porsche Club of America chapter call them for a referral. I cannot answer your question about adding a Python system to the factory system.
Pete
Old 11-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Thanks for the referral Pete. I actually know Jeff. We sat at the same dinner table at a wedding a few years ago. I guess I didn't realize that they did car audio/electronics in addition to the high end home stuff.
+++
Old 11-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Ellsworth Wente
Advanced

I have an old hofco which still works. however it was so annoying, I disconnected the speaker - hate the chirp chirp... I still use it since it disables the starter and has the wireless door lock feature. Recently, I opted for LoJack with early warning. If my car moves without my fob, I get emailed, paged, called, etc within about 15min. I'm doing a rebuild right now and the thought of it disappearing after putting all this money into it just makes me queasy...
Old 11-16-2005, 07:07 PM
zflea
Cruisin'

any suggestions in south florida area?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:42 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Very interestingly the darn thing worked without flaw today. It must be a poor/loose ground not an actual failure of the system.
Anyway, I contacted Hofco (only a few miles from my home) and discussed the situation. They will be taking a look at it ASAP.
I would prefer to repair/service this alarm rather than to remove it and have a completely new system installed.
They seemed optomistic about adding the power lock and window modules to the existing system.
I like the idea of only doing the power lock on the drivers' side Jack, thanks for the suggestion.
+++

Quick Reply: Alarm has gone bad, need insight on replacement options