Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1982 SC won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 06:54 PM
classic911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1982 SC won't start

Just came back from a DE @ Pocono-car ran flawless-shut car down to make room in garage and now the car won't start.

Charging system checked out as I had the battery replaced less than a month ago so that's good;fuel pump is running; no noise whatsoever from the starter.

What's up here? Starter solenoid?

What is really frustrating is that I just did a major service about 2 months and am starting to look at some later model c2 and 95 993 coupes and selling the SC.

Suggestions please.....
Old 10-10-2005, 03:16 PM
OneNineElevenGuy
Instructor

Your SC knows you are looking at other cars.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are on to something with the starter. Sc's are bad about the starters
going out especially when hot. If it starts up after a couple of hours.... it is
the starter or soledoid, best to replace them both while your there.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:50 PM
classic911
Instructor

Originally Posted by OneNineElevenGuy
Your SC knows you are looking at other cars.
LMAO!

Seriously, I tried to start it this a.m. after letting it sit overnight and it was a no go. Not a single noise from the starter.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

not even a click ?

Sound like the starter solenoid. Can you climb under and give the starter solenoid a tap or a whack with a rubber mallet ? sounds like its stuck !
or you could see if you are getting 12 volts to the solenoid !
Old 10-11-2005, 01:58 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

could be as simple as a broken solenoid wire. Check it out while you are under the car whacking the starter.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:06 PM
classic911
Instructor

I tapped the solenoid with a hammer and it started right up!

Should I replace the solenoid now or is it an isolated incident?

Thank you all....
Old 10-13-2005, 05:00 AM
dios
2nd Gear

i had the same issue and did exactly what you did and thought exactly what you now think ;p it did work fine about 5 or 6 more times and then died again so i had the starter overhauled which costs around 150 to 250 AUD as opposed to 900AUD from porsche for the new one! havent had any drama since!
Old 10-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by classic911
I tapped the solenoid with a hammer and it started right up!
Should I replace the solenoid now or is it an isolated incident?
Thank you all....
I would replace the solonoid and have the starter checked out at the same time. Of course if you always park on a hill you don't have to worry about it!
Old 10-15-2005, 12:53 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Of course depending where you live ... I live In Canada and frozen starter solenoids are not uncommon, tha's why I new your problem immediately. Change the solenoid while it's warm .. Cars rarely " heal ".. they only get worse...

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:01 PM
sarge
AutoX

where's the starter selenoid?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:14 PM
sarge
AutoX

I mean the power is fine but it just makes a heavy, 'click' like the starter is frozen. I'm still learning about this car, I would give the starter a whack if if could get under the chassis, I don't even know where the starter is?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:55 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Default Well then don't go whacking anything!

Originally Posted by sarge
I mean the power is fine but it just makes a heavy, 'click' like the starter is frozen. I'm still learning about this car, I would give the starter a whack if if could get under the chassis, I don't even know where the starter is?
If you don't know where the starter is you should get at least the Haynes repair manual ... the Bentley is better.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 PM
sarge
AutoX

First of all I want to extend my regards and appreciation to rbuswell for his insightful reply to my inquiry. For the thirty-some other viewers of my question I would like to answer the question that seemingly mystified all of you: the starter/selenoid is located in the cavity above the passenger-side rear suspension arm. It is easily recognizable as a cylindrical-shaped object with a smaller similarly shaped object attached to its upper third section having two wires, one connected to a bolt and another to a male fitting. You can try 'whacking' this assembly firmly once or twice if in a situation as described in my my previous post, but I recommend being mindful to consider any other factors that may influence starter engagement. In my case I assumed I had good power; lights came on, wipers worked, hazzards... (no stereo in this car, the engine is all the music I need). I even tried having my girlfriend try turning it over while I gave it a simultaeous 'whack' -nothing!
Well, I go back to page one: "Do I have power?" Hmmmm... duh! Gages peg out when I turn the key -SHORT!!! Interesting, I know I have mice in the garage maybe thats it? ...NO! -all the wires are good... Hmmmm... I've had the thing on a battery tender since November, green light says its charged, -but I don't believe it so I check my battery terminals anyway... ground-side connection wiggles right off the battery terminal... -not good. So I grab my wire brush and shine up the connector and the terminal then I tighten that thing down real nice, then put the tender back on -RED- charging... for like three hours - then the green light starts blinking.
Its the nicest day since Novemeber here in Northeast Illinois -70's, so I climb in and turn the key again... VvvRRRZZZzz-Vrrooom!.. -FIRES RIGHT UP!!! I love the sound of that engine. I love the sound when I 'whack' that throttle pedal, I love the feel of the G's when I 'whack' the corners, I love the way she slams down when I 'whack' the brake pedal! I'm not sure I've had as much fun 'whacking' anything before in my life.
Since the only advice I could get in this forum was, "...don't go whacking anything!" my advice to you other thirty-some, 'non-whackers' is just go play with your garage queens and stroke yourselves!
what kind of "community" is this anyway...?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

this is great nice hear about getting a sick one running

Quick Reply: 1982 SC won't start