Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pro Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 01:45 AM
Victor Toce
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Pro Cooler

Does anyone have first hand experence with the Pro Cooler, a 911 AC enhancing device. The link is <a href="http://www.procooler.com/default0.htm" target="_blank">Pro Cooler</a>, or <a href="http://www.procooler.com/default0.htm." target="_blank">http://www.procooler.com/default0.htm.</a>
Does this device raise suction temp and therefore cause compressor problems? Does it work at all?
Old 07-22-2002, 06:28 PM
Carlos Artal
Advanced

Cool

Just read the article. It claims to do exactly the opposite, that is, to manage better compressor output.

Does any member of the forum have one of these installed? Do they work?
Old 07-23-2002, 04:52 PM
BlueMax
Intermediate

I've installed a pro-cooler several years ago on a VW Vanagon. Now here is a car that has the same stock anemic A/C as a 911 except many times the interior volume to cool and also lots of glass area.
I also live in Houston Texas where it is always HOT.

Final analysis, the pro-cooler works great. Without the VW would be unbearable in the summer. I would definitely recommend it. Installation was a couple of hours including re-charge.

In case you wonder, I was also going to install it in my Porsche but then went the other route to lighten the car. Along with that plan, the A/C came out saving 70+ lbs. Performance over comfort!

Paul
Old 07-23-2002, 10:53 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
The problem with evaluating the Pro Cooler is that no one ever does it fairly. In other words, you'd need to start with an optimally functioning system, with good hoses, a new dryer and collector, a new, functioning accumulator and a fresh coolant charge. Instead, it's like when guys do "big brake" upgrades. They take tired, out-of-spec components, and replace them with new calipers, rotors, fluid, etc., and see a magical transformation in their braking abilities.

Well, duh.

When I went from new SC calipers and rotors all around to new 930 calipers and rotors all around, braking was -- of course -- identical. I was in the rare posiiton of rejuvenating the system twice in the same month. (Expensive and stupid, yes. But also illuminating.) All Porsche brakes are capable of stopping the 911 they were designed to stop. (The idea of an 'under-braked' Porsche is really a contradiction in terms.) The meaningful difference was the durability of the new setup under track conditions. Same braking as ever, but no eventual brake fade.

With AC components, I think it's important to consider the condition of everything in the AC chain, which will generally mean replacing the receiver/dryer, replacing the OEM non-barrier hoses with more modern barrier-type models, etc. All of this will combine to make a considerable difference. Take a look at your evaporator and fan assembly some time (in the smuggler's trunk, where you'd think it would stay clean). Chances are, it's caked up with dirt and gunk from years of neglect.

In my opinion, the way to improve the Porsche AC system is to get a modern rotary-type compressor, and then update and upgrade all of the different components, including the reciever/dryer, all the barrier hoses, and (maybe most importantly) increase condenser capacity. To this end, I think the biggest step you can take is the Scott Industry under-belly passive condenser, which makes for a huge increase in the system's ability to extract and shed heat, which is really what AC is all about. I recently added this unit to my system (after previously replacing all the hoses, dryer, ccmpressor, and all the rest), and the system works very well. I'm not convinced that tossing in a ProCooler would add anything significant to this system. (If I did, I would have happily bought one.)
Old 07-24-2002, 12:37 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Jack Olsen's post, from top to bottom, is right on the money. On my SC, I added the Sanyo rotary compressor from Scott's in Anaheim, CA. They do excellent work if you are in SoCal...worth the drive.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:09 PM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Jack, I wholeheartedly agree with you post. Especially when you used the braking system as an example. I use brand new, not rebuilt, sc brakes all around on my car and even under abuse it stops on a dime. Whoever drives the car always asks what brake modifications I have. I tell them I modified the entire braking system from a tired, un-maintained conditioned to a brand-new, well-maintained system. They are simply amazed.

Same thing with ac. In my sister's car, an 84 targa, we stay very cool inside the car unless the ambient temperature is over 105 degrees. We just maintain it well. But what you stated about condenser size is correct. The only weakness in the 911 ac is condenser size. The belly pan condenser should pretty much sort that matter out. Some people argue that those units are in a vulnerable spot, but I find them to be very durable since every time I see one of those units on a car, they are usually at least 5 years old, if not 10 or 20. That should vouch for their durability. Other people argue that their position places them in a lot of heat from the pavement. But then again, there is also a lot of heat in the stock location over the engine, not to mention the location of the stock additional condenser in the front of the car which is, of all places, right over the pavement. So maybe when stopped at a light, the car might warm up, but what car doesan't. Every car in the world does in comparison to when they are cruising on the expressway. To me, these belly pan units make a lot of sense. But I would not mind hearing more feedback from pro-cooler users.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:14 PM
PDACPA
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
IS there anything wrong with updating the existing AC and adding both the procooler and the udnerbelly condenser? that sounds like a good set up if there are no conflicts.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:27 PM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have thought about doing the exact same thing and I wonder if someone has done it.

Quick Reply: Pro Cooler