Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Carrera Tensioner upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 09:26 PM
SC4DnP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera Tensioner upgrade.

I'm Getting ready to drop the engine in my '82 SC and want to do the upgrade to the tensioners. Is there a difference in kits or do they all come from the same manufacturer (Porsche)? I've noticed a spread in prices so that made me curious.

Also thinking about going to 964 cams. Any thoughts in that regard? I'm back dating to 72 SSIs and keeping the SC, CIS. I'll also switch to a lightweight flywheel and pressure plate (thanks Steve).

Thanks for the help.
Doug
Old 09-09-2005, 10:24 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't comment on the manufacturer but I believe they're only from Porsche. I have been told by countless people that in an SC that's the absolute best thing you can do for the engine. My '83 SC already had it done when I got it in June, I was thankful to see it, spoke to the knowledge of and care given to the car by prior owner. Can't help with your other questions, too new to the car...
Good luck.
I'm getting the Porsche short-shift kit done next week, have read many places that it's a big improvement for the SC.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:24 PM
SC4DnP
Instructor

Thanks for the input. I've got the short shift kit in my car and realy like it. Let me know what you think when it comes back.

Best Regards
Old 09-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

SC: I can't see any upside to switching to a 964 cam grind, but I can certainly see downside. Unless you have a dyno, and a way to recalibrate the CIS, possibly including the counterweight on the sensor plate, you might want to re-think your project. CIS and its engine camshafts are all designed to work as a package, any changes to any one component will almost surely affect the "package" negatively. However, there may be information out there regarding a successful cam change. I would recommend that you contact Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems in Portland. Unless you're removing the engine for another reason please know that the Carrera Tensioner upgrade can be done with the engine in, including cam o-ring (tools & knowledge for cam timing required) replacement and (6) new chain ramps. Regarding the tensioner kit, I believe they are all made by the same Porsche sub-contractor, but some kits have found their way into the aftermarket.
Pete
Old 09-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I remember sometime in the early 90's someone was saying that perhaps the failures in the chain tensioners was mostly prevented by the oil fed tensioners, but that the actual cause was ultimately caused and it could be remedied by something other than the oil fed tensioners. I could be wrong, but my memory suggests that it might have been you, Pete. Comments?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:25 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the stuff I've seen on these engines suggests that you get more from changing to carbs and increasing compression (piston change) than working on the cams and that if you want to change out the cams then the earlier 'S' cams are the most suitable.

PJC
Old 09-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jay: LOL. Who, me? The early cars could, and did, break chain guides (aka, ramps), which would travel along the chain, jamb the sprocket and cause the engine to jump time (bend valves). This would happen without a collapsed tensioner, but was a more frequent occurance when a tensioner failed and the car was driven. The loose chain would slap at the guides and break off their ends. Granted, 930 tensioners (the last of the self-contained versions) were very good, but even they will get soft after many, many miles. The oil-fed units are excellent, and other than finding a few defective ones out of the box (we always prime & test them before installation), I can only remember one failed unit. You definitely have to put Carrera Tensioners in Porsche's "Plus" column.
Pete
Old 09-17-2005, 12:14 PM
SC4DnP
Instructor

Thanks everyone. After some thought and consideration, I think I'm going to leave things the way they are cam wise and just do tensioners and SSIs for now. I'll save the "trick" stuff for the track car I dream of building.

Doug
Old 09-17-2005, 09:15 PM
redtdi96
Instructor

Well I have an 80 SC , I did the tensioner upgrade two years ago. I would not do it in retrospect. 1) This tensioner is just one more second-order mechanical part that can fail and 2) taps into the main oil supply of yea-ole engine..... more oil lines and another point for failure.

I'd stay with the OEM tensioners. If you decide to install hydrolic tensioner BE SURE TO PUMP them up before you close up engine. I've seen folks go to all the trouble to just find that the tensioner never pumped up on its own. DO the research on how to pump them up (pelican forums) or us a pump as I did:

http://home.att.net/~acr400/pix/porsche_tension_oil.jpg

Quick Reply: Carrera Tensioner upgrade.