Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

rear brake bleeding problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 12:23 PM
rjm428
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brake bleeding problems

rebuilt calipers and can't bleed the rear brakes. started with pass. side and went around to the front and got good fluid squirt out of both sides in front but nothing from the rear. i diconnected the lines from the calipers on the rear and got a few drops.

any ideas???
Old 09-16-2005, 01:53 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you didn't plug the lines while you had the calipers off, the whole rear system will be empty. Not a problem, but it will take a while to gravity fill the lines. A better strategy would be to use a power bleeder to push the fluid down the lines. Hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:21 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to have a compressor-driven vacuum bleeder from Griots when I was tracking a 996 a lot, it was awesome. I always felt better about it than a positive pressure bleeder pusing pressure into the system, seemed like the vacuum bleeder worked very very well. I sold it when I dropped the track habit.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:44 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rjm428
rebuilt calipers and can't bleed the rear brakes. started with pass. side and went around to the front and got good fluid squirt out of both sides in front but nothing from the rear. i diconnected the lines from the calipers on the rear and got a few drops. any ideas???
I assume that you have kept the reservior full while bleeding?
regards,
Steve
Old 09-17-2005, 09:41 PM
redtdi96
Instructor

This may not be an issue (I looked in manual) but are the rear wheels hanging or are the supported under the shock so the wheels don't hang. On many cars there is a proportioning valve that will reduce brake pressure as the *** end lifts (wheels hang). Thus you will not get fluid flow to the rears, as I said I did not find this in my BENTLEY.

When you bleed brakes by the pump and hold method place a 2x4 under the pedal, so it does not go to the floor, else you may tear the master rubber piston seal as the piston will enter places it has not been for many years!

I like the miti-vac, as with the pressure bleeder if something leaks you may need a new paint job (happened to a friend of mine and his BMW).

Quick Reply: rear brake bleeding problems