Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.6 Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005 | 07:41 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

The advantage of Steve's muffler and versions is the pipes are parallel to the vehicle axis rather than turned in as on stock 993

The b&B headers w/ Flomaster/Fabspeed/Dynomax also works well

this is mine w/ 964 heat on a 993engine in a '76 CArrera 3 chassis

Old 08-19-2005 | 07:56 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Bill,
I see the advantage of the pipes parallel to the axis of the car. It looks like you have a significantly different version of Steve's system. The heater boxes are now on the outboard side. Mine is an evolution beyond what is in the picture that I posted. On mine the exhaust pipes going from the heater boxes to the muffler are shorter; therefore, they stay parallel with the ground plane longer, and this did not turn out to be a good thing. It seems the pipe should have taken a turn upward after the collector. I did not have adequate ground clearance in the Karoussel on Shenandoah Circuit and dragged the clamp on the ground when I got on the power. Actually completely ground off the outboard clamp.
Old 08-19-2005 | 08:08 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine is a custom made B&B 1 3/4" , primaries, 964 heat in, 911 heat out. Steve's is very different.

The longer tubes spread the power band out a little more than the shorties Steve's(Mcneil?) system is using

yes, you need to keep the pipes generally bent upward
Old 08-21-2005 | 12:53 AM
KLehmann
Instructor

"The Instant-G muffler has 2.5 inch inlet and outlet pipes - so it looks like no interchange with either of those products - Flowmaster or Dynomax."

Steve,

I don't understand what you're getting at with the above statement?

The pipe diameters don't necessarily matter between the different mufflers. We're not connecting mufflers to mufflers. Each system, be it the 993 HE's or the B&B headers, require custom-fitted piping for the muffler to fit the exhaust output flanges.

?

Kevin
Old 08-21-2005 | 04:59 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

By the time exhaust gasses reach the muffler, they've cooled so much that pipe diameter is not a major concern (unlike headers). In fact, pipe diameter should continue to get smaller as the gasses cool, if you want to maintain consistent pressure.
Old 08-21-2005 | 08:19 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Posted by Kevin --
'The pipe diameters don't necessarily matter between the different mufflers. We're not connecting mufflers to mufflers.'

True enough - 'not connecting mufflers to mufflers'. In this case it is a problem, the pipes leading into the muffler are 2.5 inch stainless and I don't want to change those pipes which are that size from the collector. The muffler blew out at the welds and I wanted to put a muffler on while repairs/replacement to the original muffler are in work.

Also, does anyone have any leads on where to find 'Olive Joint' hardware?

Quick Reply: 3.6 Conversions