Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need help with ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 12:40 AM
daniel951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with ??'s

well my buddy wants to sell me a 73 911 or somewhere around that year for 1k. he said he has all the parts for it sitting in the garage and motor is in a crate. you think it would be worth it to put it back together or buy it and part it? He told me that it was a carerra so it might be newer then 73. i will find out tonight
Old 07-14-2005, 09:43 AM
daniel951
Race Car

update:
i found it is a 71 911 Targa. U think it is still worth it?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:10 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Find out if it is a "T" "E" or "S"... that is a big difference. Also, if you want to build it back, can you do all the work yourself? If so, it may be a fun hoibby... if not you will end up sinking megabucks in the car... unless it is an "S" (very unlikely), you'll probably end up putting in 2-3 times what it is worth...

Two big things.... first... is the body solid and rust free? Second, is the engine in good shape? If not, you may be buying yourself alot of aggrivations...

If so, and you are an ebay nut, and don;t mind having car parts lying around your house, you can probably make $5-10K parting the car out.... unless it is a total basket case...

Finally, if it were a coupe, it could be the basis for a RS-RSR/Hot Rod sort of project... but targas, generally are not sought-after for such conversions...
Old 07-14-2005, 11:48 AM
daniel951
Race Car

yes i can do my own work especially since how much work i have put into my 951. I will find out what model it is tomorrow. so is the best S then T then E?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:43 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

for $$ the S is best
some like the E better as a driver and there are even old magazine articles extolling the T

I thought this might be a troll post at first... if the price is $1,000 then just buy it, even if it just boxes of parts. It is hard to imagine that the parts are not worth several thousand on eBay or elsewhere...

If it has been in Colo. all its life there is probably not a lot of rust.

But for 1k you cannot go wrong.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:57 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Originally Posted by randywebb
for $$ the S is best
some like the E better as a driver and there are even old magazine articles extolling the T

I thought this might be a troll post at first... if the price is $1,000 then just buy it, even if it just boxes of parts. It is hard to imagine that the parts are not worth several thousand on eBay or elsewhere...

If it has been in Colo. all its life there is probably not a lot of rust.

But for 1k you cannot go wrong.
that is what i was sort of figuring. I wouldn't have trouble parting it out since everything is already taken apart all i would have to do is ship them out. But in a way i kinda of want to put it together and spend a little cash on it. HOw much you think i can get for it if i restore it saying that the body and all the parts are good. And i can throw on a paint job too
Old 07-14-2005, 04:57 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

As a confirmed early 911 nut, I would applaud the effort to save a car rather than take the short money parting it out. The whole thing hinges on the condition of the bodywork and engine. IF the body is straight and solid and free of structural rust, and the engine is complete and not blown up, it might be a feasible project as a labor of love.

As a money-making endevor, I would be a bit careful.... even if all the parts are there, figure at least $10-15K invested even if you do alot of the work...plus...hard to really predict what a car might be worth, as the market is pretty wacky right now, and the quality of the work is a huge variable... I would guess that based on current values for a car that is redone properly to a 90% standard...

"T" would be low to middle teens... and "E" high teens to maybe low twenties, and an "S" high twenties + but who knows what the market would be in two years you will spend redoing the car.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:36 PM
daniel951
Race Car

does anyone need any parts if i decide to get this
Old 07-14-2005, 11:48 PM
red911 Targa
Advanced

Hi Daniel, I have just added up all my bills for a 1966 Coupe, rotissierie, nut and bolt restoration and the total to date, without my labor is $27,000 and 23 years!! And the engine is not together yet. Good luck, Tom

Quick Reply: Need help with ??'s