Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Driving a 911

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 07:29 PM
a3jedi
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Driving a 911

Hi guys. I read through all the threads and the information here is great. I don't own a Porsche yet but it is a goal I will achieve before I'm old! Anyways, I wanted to find out how hard/easy it is to drive a 911 whether it's everyday traffic or spirited driving through some curves (i.e. how the postition of the engine affects how you turn). I know that the differences in transmissions plays a factor (915 vs G50) but I just wanted to get a sense from all the 911 owners how driving their cars is different from "normal" cars. Thanks for your replies!
Old 01-24-2002, 07:55 PM
Jgordon
Racer

I'm fairly new to the game, but I'll take a stab at it. There are some cons associated wtih the driving:

You're dealing with an expensive car -- no powershifts, no chirping second -- at least I try to treat the car gently. That doesn't mean driving gently, but I keep in my mind my mechanic's hourly rate.

Your engine's in the back -- no braking in hard cornering, no lifting off the throttle in corners, and generally be aware of the weight distribution.

I have the G50, so I don't regard the transmission as an issue. I tend to think alot about clutch wear in traffic, but the actual driving is not that difficult (I drove my friend's Audi S4 the other day, and his clutch might as well have been a voice command) -- you are in fact pushing against hydraulic fluid, or the cable-operated 915.

Building on that, you are really driving this car. No cadillac-power steering, no ABS, no airbags, and you have to work the clutch and mind your shifts. Personally, I love that, but some don't.

The pros are more fun to talk about. The cars handle like Karts. You can swing the tail out (which I may or may not have been known to do from time to time) and the driving experience is unmatched. Every move the car makes, you know that you were directly responsible for, and the feedback is constant. The wheel, transmission, and the frame all telegraph everything. I don't even have the optional big-bolstered sport seats, but the standard seats still hug you like a cold girlfriend. I've driven trucks, sedans, and my last set of wheels was a Ducati -- I'd say that this blows them all away.

The cars are great. I could go on for a long time talking about them. I know I'm not the expert, but hopefully what I've said makes some sense to you. As the obligatory parting shot, make sure you know EXACTLY what you're getting into -- a detailed inspection and all that prior to purchase. Paying a lot for wheels and engine mods is bad enough, but paying for rust and abuse is no fun at all.

Hope to see you on the road.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:32 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to use cars as a comparison to my 911. I own a few vehicles and have owned many in the past. The 1987 RX7 was a fun car but it was no Porsche. It may sound like many Porsche owner are trying to dodge this issue but the fact is that comparing a Porsche to a car is like comparing steak to kraft dinner just because they are both food. Cars and Porsches can both get you from point A to point B but one is transportation, the other is fun. In winter, I run to the store in my SUV and pick up some milk, bread and eggs be back in 5 minutes. In summer, that may likey take 3 trips, 30 minutes each.

Cheers,
Old 01-25-2002, 12:36 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine is an '87 3.2 and it drives great -- but not like some comfortable luxury car, most non-Porsche people think you're in when they see you. The car does NOT drive itself. You do it all and you feel it all. I have Bilstein Sports in mine and you can tell whether you're driving over the heads or the tails side of a quarter. The rear engine and the sound make you feel like you're being pushed. A great feeling is pulling away from a red light real fast (taking it to about 6000 rpm between shifts) and seeing how quickly the cars behind you fade in your rear view mirror. There's nothing quite like it.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:33 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

What's it like to drive a 911?

Well, in a word, it's magic! The way the steering wheel fills your hands, the feel of the car as it squats through a turn, the way the your hand falls perfectly to the gear shift, the sound of the flat six....

When I drive my 911, I feel like I can do ANYTHING!

Now, to answer your questions in a less subjective tone, here goes....

Yes, the rear engine does play a part in the handling characteristics. If you are at the limits in a turn, and lift off the throttle (even a little bit), well, prepare for the rear end of the car to pass the front end.

That said, the limits of these cars is very high. They love the curves; oh, do they love the curves!

Also, as the 911 has evolved, they have changed the suspension to lessen the lift throttle oversteer characteristics. Heck, read any 911 review over the years, and you'll probably see something like this:

"With *this* generation of the 911, it is practically impossible to break the rear end loose."

Uh huh. Believe me, you can still break the rear end loose. It's a good idea to do some sort of driver's ed/autocross school to see where those limits are, what happens when you reach those limits, and how to regain control. Best to practice hitting the gas pedal when the rear end is loose on a closed course, as it won't be your first instinct.

That said, these cars are a blast to drive, and to learn to drive well.

Have fun!

-- Melissa
Old 01-25-2002, 01:47 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 140 Posts
Owning a 911. Hmmm. Nothing else like it (that I have driven so far). Talk to people that own one and you find that we all have a strange sort of attachment to our cars. There is a certain mystique about them. I can't put my finger on it, but when driving one (especially on the track) you feel so connected to the road. A 911 has something that the Japanese and american (Corvette) performance cars seem to be missing (like a soul). (Never driven anything Italian so I can't comment). As far as driving one as a commuter, I don't unless it is absolutely necessary. Too many non-driving &%$#heads in the DC/Metro area.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:23 PM
pbs911
Instructor

Put it this way. After three years of Porsche ownership I still have a smile on my face every time I drive. I can't even park the car and walk away without looking back at it at least once.

Even when the car is not insight I find myself looking at Porsche mags, researching the web for products and tech info.

Porsche is more than a car. Ownership in a Porsche brings with it a new lifestyle.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:31 PM
a3jedi
2nd Gear

Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, I've been dreaming about 911's since I was 5. I'm just now seriously studying the price trends and the maintenance costs associated with ownership. I currently drive a '97 VW Jetta and can't wait for the day I "updgrade" Keep the replies comming! I enjoy reading them.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:30 PM
philfran
Intermediate

I hate my 78 Guards Red SC Targa. It sits in the garage and is only out on nice days. When I do drive it, someone is always asking to look inside......because of this I have to have to keep it spotless. People follow me to ask me questions.

When the police see it they think"Violation, looking for a place to happen". I am now Dr. Jeckel and/or Mr Hyde...drive like a grandma in my Contour, like a bat out of hell in my Porsche.

Actually, the car is great.

Yea, the handling is a little strange at the limit...but I never come close to the limit on the street, 80% can be a blast. Do an autocross......coming out of a corner, hammer down, G's tugging you to the side, man!!!!! I don't shift hard...but when that tach hits 3500 and she comes on the cam...what fun!!!

Earlier cars are easier and probably cheaper (still expensive) than the later cars. I do most of my own work. Haven't had any big jobs to do yet. Change to fluid, adjust the valves

I had a new 78 280Z, similar type car but much less power, it was a ton of fun too, but being young and stupid I drove it at 100%, the 911 is a machine instead of a car.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:52 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Rick,

When you swap a worked (300 hp) 3.6L for the Carrera 3.2, and shift at 7000 rpm (rev limiter set at 7400), you can leave the crowd real fast!

Richard
'87 Carrera-3.6L (not too much torque)
Old 01-26-2002, 04:00 AM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

When you aren't near the limit the handling is like the car is attached to the earth, there's nothing you can do to shake it loose, but if you hammer the throttle at 4000rpm mid corner or you are at or near the limit (limit's pretty darn high in these cars) and you let off of the gas or gasp hit the brakes you can count on ending up pointing the wrong direction.
As far as feel and enjoyment factor, hmmm.... do you enjoy sex? It's kinda like that but in a car!
Old 01-26-2002, 06:48 AM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Can you say "CARGASM"
Old 01-28-2002, 12:44 PM
Hugh
Advanced

It's like a swampboat, with the angry-turbine engine all the way in the back and the way you can break it loose and pull it back with the gas. I have rear tires that have very little wet traction. At first I was freaked on rainy days. Now I look forward to them.

When you drive a 911, people do expect your car to be fast, and it doesn't disappoint. I used to drive a hotted-up A4 1.8T and I notice a big difference in reaction when I switched to the 911 from people on the street. No one wanted to be smoked by the Audi, a sedan. They would get in my way when I'd try to pass, get pissed off when I did pass. Now lots of people see the unmistakeable smiling frog face behind them coming up fast, and they graciously move aside. I may be deluding myself, but I think people love to see it go!
Old 01-28-2002, 08:33 PM
Tony'z911
Advanced

I can't describe what it's like any better than a friend of mine put it:

DRIVING A PORSCHE IS THE MOST FUN THAT YOU CAN HAVE WITH YOUR CLOTHES ON!

That said, it is a Blast! I also smile every time I turn the key and the smile gets wider and wider with each turn that I take. Driving w/ my gf in the car the other day I slowed just a bit for a turn, then got on the gas and zipped through the turn. She looked at me with a smile and said "You just have to do that don't you?" She is used to it and fortunately she loves that feeling too!

Coming from driving a '99 Civic Si to my '86 Carrera was the biggest change that I have ever made. With the Si I could push the car to the limit at almost any time and if I felt myself crossing the limit then I could simply let off the throttle and/or tap the brakes and the car would conform and go just were I wanted it. Now, when driving the 911 I can be driving on the same road, going a little faster than when I was at the limit in the Si and then I can get on the gas to make the car stick in a turn.
I don't explore the limits of the 911 on the road since this can be dangerous for other drivers, me, and the car! Instead I test the cars limits and mine on the track. It is the best feeling going through a turn feeling the car slide out just a bit, then getting on the gas and flying out of the turn and down the straight to the next one only to tap the brakes and do it again!
-T
Old 01-28-2002, 10:04 PM
pete77930
Racer

Talking

Pure Nirvana.
Oh Yeah, you'll always look like this:

Pete,
77'930(done in 1 week)
83' 944

Quick Reply: Driving a 911