My New T

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My New T

Hey y'all! I'm going to be back on the 911 boards with regularity now. This past weekend we traded our '99 Boxster for a gent's 1970 911T. (..er, and some cash mind you, it wasn't a 'straight up' trade..) It's a little rough around the edges, but runs well. I'm not exactly sure what plans are for it, but I'm thinking a "sleeper" hot rod of some sort. But for right now, I'm just going to work to make it a safe and realiable driver that I can enjoy for a while!

Here are some quick pics. See ya 'round the boards!
Attached Images    
Old 06-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Julia
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's beautiful Doug! Congrats. I love the earlies as I used to have a '70T myself. Don't get me wrong, I loooove my SC, but their is something special about the pre '74 cars. How's the interior? Is that the original color? One day I hope to have another early car as well.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Julia
It's beautiful Doug! Congrats. I love the earlies as I used to have a '70T myself. Don't get me wrong, I loooove my SC, but their is something special about the pre '74 cars. How's the interior? Is that the original color? One day I hope to have another early car as well.
Thanks Julia! This is not my first early car...I recently sold my '72. Even though it wasn't running, not having it was giving me serious withdrawls! Plus, there were other factors for wanting to trade... ($cough$cough$). I'd like to think I'll keep this car for a long time...if not my entire life...and just "add" to the stable as I can. But that takes patience and the ability to save money. Let's face it, when you have one old 911, saving is very difficult to do!

By the way, I love Skippy and hope you can keep that one for a very long time, too! I wish I could have been in the right situation when she became available, I might have beeten you to that car! But I think it's gone to the better owner.

It's not the original color...I think that was Sepia Brown. One of the P.O.s painted it this metallic brown. It's an average paint job. To be honest, I'll probably change it down the road.

The most recent P.O. redid the interior with new carpets and Corbeau sport seats. Unfortunately, they're a little narrow for my wider girth (..ahem..) so they'll have to be replaced. I've got some cool replica early sport seats on the way that should fit me better. I'm also replacing some "old" belts with more modern retractable seatbelts. Those should be in this week.

I'll keep posting updates, etc. here and/or on the Pelican board. I've got all kinds of "dreams" for her! Let's hope I can fullfill them!

Old 06-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Doug:

Nice car. Thats a great foundation to make a "hot rod" out of it.

You might get that alignment checked as I'd venture that its short on rear camber and that will make it somewhat "loose",..... Put 1 deg negative in the back and it will handle better.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Doug:

Nice car. Thats a great foundation to make a "hot rod" out of it.

You might get that alignment checked as I'd venture that its short on rear camber and that will make it somewhat "loose",..... Put 1 deg negative in the back and it will handle better.
Thanks!

Duly noted...man you have good eyes! The whole car is a little "floaty" to me. Probably because a) I just came from a Boxster that has 'wow' handling right out of the box and b) I'm sure it's the original suspension configuration for that year and T specification. I think the suspension will be the first thing that gets attention.

...after the gearbox. It has a 2.4T motor (with Zenith carbs?) and a 915 from a '72 911. One of the P.O.s put on a "short shift" kit or something that seems to have merely shortened the shift lever! In an otherwise comfortable driving position, I have to lift myself from my seatback to reach the top three gears (1-3-5). So if you have any suggestions on that, I'd love to hear them. Other than that, the shifting is notchy, but there's no grinding. Feels like any other old 915 I've driven.

Here are a couple of pics of the interior...
Attached Images   
Old 06-07-2005, 05:12 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Looks nice!
Old 06-07-2005, 06:43 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

buy a used Carrera shifter & tower (I think 1985 & '86 are the years to get) and replace the existing one.

nice pic
Old 06-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

[QUOTE=Doug&Julie]
Duly noted...man you have good eyes! The whole car is a little "floaty" to me. Probably because a) I just came from a Boxster that has 'wow' handling right out of the box and b) I'm sure it's the original suspension configuration for that year and T specification. I think the suspension will be the first thing that gets attention.[\QUOTE]

LOL,.......Thats my job,....... I'd agree, suspension would be my top priority, too.

...after the gearbox. It has a 2.4T motor (with Zenith carbs?) and a 915 from a '72 911. One of the P.O.s put on a "short shift" kit or something that seems to have merely shortened the shift lever! In an otherwise comfortable driving position, I have to lift myself from my seatback to reach the top three gears (1-3-5). So if you have any suggestions on that, I'd love to hear them. Other than that, the shifting is notchy, but there's no grinding. Feels like any other old 915 I've driven.
The Zenith-equipped 2.4T was the Euro version of that , motor and you can confirm what you have looking at the Type Number stamped on the right side of the case next to where the right cam tower oil line joins.

I'm no fan of the aftermarket short shifters as all they really do is accelerate syncro and slider wear. The only ones we use are the now discontinued Factory 954 short shifters. As Randy suggested, a Carrera shifter works really well and doesn't "rush" the transmission.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Believe me, there is no "rushing" of this gearbox. It needs to be very deliberate. But again, no different than my previous (albeit limited) experiences with other early cars. I like the Carrera shifter idea...sounds cheaper than a Wevo.

Engine number is a 612???? I can't remember the last digits of the number (I think it's 6121032 or something like that), but I'm sure of the 612 part. I thought that meant US 2.4 T from a '72?

Thanks all!

Quick Reply: My New T