Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

2 quick questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 03:15 PM
classic911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 quick questions...

1-What products does everyone use to keep the rubber lips on their spoilers and body trim nice and black?

2-Would a 964 and/993 interior fit into my 82 SC?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Brian M
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As to question 1, I use Lexol for vinyl, and have been very pleased with the results over the years. Even started using it on the tires a over the past couple of years. Used to use STP flat finish on them, but it was hard to find, and even though the Lexol is a little more expensive than using (shudder) Armor All, my baby is worth it. Also, a wipe down with a towel afterwards does away with the shiny look.

Not a clue on question 2, but I'm sure if it is even remotely possible, there is someone on the list that would know how to do it right.

Brian
89 Carrera 3.2
05 Suzuki GSX-R600 (new horse in the stable)
Augusta, GA
Rennlist Member
Old 05-31-2005, 04:53 PM
classic911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Brian. I have Vinylex but use it for the interior; heard great things about 303 Protectant.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:44 PM
sjphill
Rennlist Member

I've heard that Back to Black by Mothers is good stuff. I've used a sample of it and it worked wonders
Old 05-31-2005, 05:59 PM
Julia
Instructor

We use 303 Aerospace Protectant on all our rubber and vinyl trim. I even use it on my leather to protect it from UV rays. It leaves a nice finish on the tires without looking shiney. I would highly recommend it. I just ordered 3M Rubber and Tire Dressing as I have heard great things from our Concours friends. I haven't gotten it yet but am anxious to try it out.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:01 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Most of the interior will be a direct swap, but unless you are prepared to do a bit of custom modification, then I recommend not doing it.
The biggest difference would be the dash itself (look at the defrost vent areas of the 964 to see why, they have a single vent along the entire windscreen) and the center console.
Obviously several of the guages are different as well.
You could combine the two versions and still have a good looking car, but any purist would have a heart attack. (not me mind you).
I'm not sure why you would want to do this anyway, the cost seems like a major deterrant, not to mention the custom work required to do a complete job.
If your interior is shot, I would give serious consideration to any one of the recommended suppliers that offer interior kits.
I have only ever purchased items (front seat recover in vinyl) from world upholstery, but I have heard plenty of good revues on other suppliers as well.
Do your homework if you go this route and don't be fooled by the lowest price, because you may be getting poor quality.
+++
Old 06-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Julia
I just ordered 3M Rubber and Tire Dressing as I have heard great things from our Concours friends. I haven't gotten it yet but am anxious to try it out.
I like this product as well.

Vinylex is my favorite on interior vinyl and will get things black on exterior pieces, but it does not hold up well on exterior components if exposed to rain/moisture.

Jay
90 964
Old 06-01-2005, 01:51 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like Vinylex for interior as well as exterior trim and tires. It doesn't make anything shiny, just makes it look natural. Especially tires. Mothers Back to Black will make plastic and rubber trim look brand new again.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:48 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Meguiars has an xlnt rubber treatment. Often available at Target.

Quick Reply: 2 quick questions...