Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Increased noise from my fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Corrales911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increased noise from my fuel pump

Today my fuel pump began making much more noise than previously, although the car is running fine. Is this indication of impending doom? Or should I just ignore it until something actually happens? Any benefit to pulling it out and checking for debris inside?

Did a search here but nothing helpful came up.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Bernd
Intermediate

The noise is generally a sign that its on its last legs. It may be fine for a few thousand miles or it could go tomorrow. (It might also be possible that the strainer in the tank is clogged, but that noise generally points to the pump. )

Its an easy swap, better to do it before it goes so you don't pay for towing too.

-Bernie
Old 05-25-2005, 11:01 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have read that it may also mean that the rubber insulation has failed and the pump is touching the tub somewhere. I suggest you look at it before ordering.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:13 PM
Bernd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DGaunt
I have read that it may also mean that the rubber insulation has failed and the pump is touching the tub somewhere. I suggest you look at it before ordering.
good point, I forgot about that. however (unfortunately) i'd put my money on the pump being bad.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Corrales911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bernd
i'd put my money on the pump being bad.
Well this is a "glass half empty" crowd.

I'll check the insulator as this happened all at once and other pumps I've had go bad had a gradual increase in noise. There is also a vibration inside the cab so I'll keep my fingers crossed...
Old 05-25-2005, 11:55 PM
Bernd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corrales911
Well this is a "glass half empty" crowd.
Its not my fault that you did something to ruin your fuelpump.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:24 AM
john70t
Advanced

A couple things to check is that the filter is newish, the pressure output is right, and the pump amperage draw is normal. 10 years plus is still a pretty good lifespan for an electric motor.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:50 AM
Corrales911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bernd
Its not my fault that you did something to ruin your fuelpump.
Like put gas in it and drive it?
Old 05-26-2005, 04:03 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Corrales:

Although I deplore generalizations, noisy fuel pumps are a fairly accurate indication that its not long for this world.

This can be caused by:

1) Simple wear & tear (age)

2) Fuel pump cavitation caused by sucking air (low fuel levels or clogged in-tank filter)

3) Fuel pump body resting against something (depending on year of car and how/where its mounted

The Cardinal Rule for these cars is to NEVER, EVER let the car run out of fuel as thats what lubricates and cools the motor; "The River Runs Through It".

It WILL shorten the life of these expensive little things.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:18 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you describe what the noise sounds like? Lately I've noticed that my car has a steady whine that sounds like a running electric motor, although it usually only occurs after a long drive and the engine's been hot for a while.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:11 AM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not to hijack this, but what is the normal amperage draw for these pumps?
Old 05-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

As usual... Steve has said it best, a noisey fuel pump is a sure sign that it is going bad.
On my 83SC, I started noticing a noisey whine from my pump, I thought it was just
old and that was normal... WRONG !!! it was going bad fast. One Sunday afternoon
I was on my way to a birthday party, I came up to a red light, stopped, and my engine
just quit. I tried to start... nothing, I noticed I did not hear the now familiar whine,
Porsches are fairly easy to push out of the intersection in case you haven't had the
chance to find that out. You know you have a good mechanic when you call on a
Sunday afternoon and he comes and opens his shop. Now that I have seen this done
it is possible to do this yourself ! I highly suggest you put a new fuel pump in your
budget.
Good Luck,
Chuck
Old 05-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Corrales911
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Can you describe what the noise sounds like? Lately I've noticed that my car has a steady whine that sounds like a running electric motor, although it usually only occurs after a long drive and the engine's been hot for a while.
What I noticed yesterday was a vibrating resonance in the cab that didn't change with engine speed. It wasn't until I got home with the car idling in the garage that I noticed the typical "buzz" from the fuel pump was about twice as loud as normal.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Corrales: Mr. Steve is right on, of course, and he touched on all the points. Pay very close attention to his CARDINAL RULE, and react to his point #3. Get under the car and touch the skid plate (protective pan) below the steering box, while the car is running. If the pump's rubber mounts have broken (the vibration that you feel makes this very possible) you will be able to feel the pump against the steel pan. If the pump has dropped, take the pan off (4 fasteners) and use a couple wire ty raps to put the pump back in position until you can get a couple of new mounts. If it's the original pump, replace it... Any time that you work under your car make sure that it's properly supported on jack stands or ramps - a floor jack is NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
Pete
Old 05-26-2005, 11:14 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's the fuel pump, would I hear it when the key is in the "on" position with the engine off? My whine only occurs with the engine running.

Quick Reply: Increased noise from my fuel pump