Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New garage toy/tool: low-rise lift. Very cool.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New garage toy/tool: low-rise lift. Very cool.

I'm very fortunate to be able to afford this and even more fortunate to be able to talk my wife into allowing me to get one. I'm confident, I said, that I've saved enough with DIY jobs to easily cover the cost of the lift.

It's a Bend-Pak model LR-60P. The portable one that you can roll around. Works great so far. I'm still wondering about the best location to place lift pads to lift the 911 w/ the least possiblity of damage to the underbody. Anyone have experience?

I just rebuilt my axles, and of course it was a snap getting the car off the ground.

Brett
Old 05-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Brett: Congrats! I've been using a Bend Pak for 5 years, and it's performed flawlessly. Man, what a life saver on days when your back is sore, etc. Not to mention safety... Hey, I use small pieces of 2x4 and find that the best places for them are on ridges where seams are made. For instance, just forward of the rear sway bar mounts you will see a ridge (vertical seam) that curves outward toward the backside of the rocker panel, and it will have an A/C line against it. That's the strongest lift point under the car. I've found that when I lift mine I don't use front blocks, just the two in the rear, and nothing critical touches, and no damage is the result. My car isn't clean underneath like yours, but putting a beach towel here and there will keep that orange paint in great condition.
Pete
Old 05-23-2005, 05:28 PM
bbh03
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is fantastic! Where did you purchase it, asedeals.com? Did you opt for it over a mid rise for a reason other than the height of your garage ceiling? How is access to the engine and transmission? I would imagine the tranny is almost inaccessible, right?
Old 05-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

bbh: The trans is easily accesible to change its oil, the CV joints & axles are easy to check/service, and the clutch is easily adjustable. The engine can be removed from the car using the hoist, all you need is a good floor jack and the appropriate hand tools. The hoist makes door repairs (window regulators, etc.) much easier, and shocks and brake work are a breeze compared to working on axle stands.
Pete
Old 05-23-2005, 06:40 PM
bbh03
Instructor

That's good, thanks. Can a trans be removed/replaced with it or will it interfere? What about the front suspension? Same goes for the midrise version Bend Pak sells?
Old 05-23-2005, 06:55 PM
DsDw40
Intermediate

That is too cool!!!
I'd like to see one in my garage down the road, but right now I'm focused on an air compressor & add'l p-car specific tools
Old 05-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

bbh - I did order online from asedeals.com. Good experience. When the shipping company called, there were questions of how to get it off the truck to the ground. Turns out that a truck with a large lift gate could work. I bought the low-rise b/c it doesn't have anything that rolls along the floor when the lift rises. Looking at the mid-rise scissor models, they have wheels that roll along the floor as the lift rises. My floor has an epoxy (or urethane) paint coating from the previous owner, which is in decent condition. I thought the steel wheels rolling on the floor with the weight of the car + lift may damage the floor coating. I was worried about just rolling the portable low-rise model around, too, but it turns out it's not a problem. Yes, tranny is accessible as Pete says.

Pete, thanks. 4 relatively small rubber-topped pads came with the lift, but I think I'll cut some longer 2X4 pieces to spread out the weight more along the length of those seams.

Brett
Old 05-23-2005, 07:12 PM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to see I'm not the only Pepsi addict on Rennlist

That lift is nice....I'm trying to figure out what modifications I can make to my garage roof structure right now to accomodate a two-post lift high enough to leave on car lifted and park another below. Gotta be cheaper than buying a new house with a 3 car garage at today's values. The wife is sick of parking outdoors with my 2 P-cars in the garage.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

bbh - If I'm correct you remove the engine and transmission as one piece. Very doable with this lift since you lower and lift the engine-transmission assembly pretty much at just the engine (from what I've read so far). Nothing on the lift extends forward of the lift pad (where it ends just behind the front wheel). The front end is completely accessible.

Brett
Old 05-23-2005, 11:28 PM
bbh03
Instructor

That's good to know, thanks for the info. I actually just dropped the engine/tranny together on my SC with jackstands (that was an experience!) so I'd love to get one of these to ease the installation. I just may pull the trigger, but I am also considering the mid rise which buys you almost 4' of lift for an extra $100! Anyone know if the mid rise will interfere more with engine/tranny than the low rise? I'm tall too so more rise is always nice for me

Brian
Old 05-24-2005, 06:47 AM
Mark Hald
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have a BendPak mid-rise & it works well for everything I've needed to do including front/rear suspension work and engine/trans R&R.

With my car's ride-height, I needed to make up some wood planks to get me the needed clearance. And, as previously mentioned, the steel rollers do mark up the surface of the floor.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2005, 10:19 AM
bbh03
Instructor

Thanks Mark. Can you tell me what model # your mid rise is?

Brian
Old 05-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Here is the mid-rise model I was looking at -

http://www.toolsource.com/ost//produ...MU8N2CMVTJ27C2
Old 05-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Mark Hald
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm at work right now & unable to check, but I'm fairly sure that the MD-6XP is the same model I have.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:00 PM
bbh03
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Here is the mid-rise model I was looking at -

http://www.toolsource.com/ost//produ...MU8N2CMVTJ27C2
Me as well, but you can find it cheaper at asedeals.com. I bought an AC floorjack and AC jackstands from them and have not found cheaper prices yet. Their service was good too.

I'm guessing you have the LR-60, Mark. You said it was low rise, right?

Quick Reply: New garage toy/tool: low-rise lift. Very cool.