Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking to Sell

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 01:52 AM
MitaDC128
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Sell

Hello I'm completely new here as my stats probably say. I've not much experiance with Porsches, my heart lies with 4x4 and Domestics. Don't get me wrong -these are beautiful cars that at the very least make me smile when I floor it. My knowledge on these vehicles is limited but I am confidant around others.

Here's my question: My father has asked me to sell his Porsche - He's gotten old and no longer loves it the way it needs. I've no idea what to ask or how to sell it online. I choose to sell it online because its an Arizona car and has NO RUST, which seem marketable to the east coast.

Here is a run down of what it is and whats been done.

1976 911S Porsche - Silver

3.0 RS Spec. Engine (40IDA3C) - Built 1987 - estimated 250 Hp

5 Speed limited slip transmission, short shift kit

Sports Muffler

Six Webbers

Dual Aux. Oil Coolers - located in right front fender and Turbo cooler in front air dam

Front wheel cross stabilzer bar

Steel braided brake lines

Front and Rear European Spoilers

Sunroof Coupe

Air Conditioning

Sony CD with 8 Blaupunkt rear speakers

Power Windows

Recaro Seats - poorly reapolstered

Retired Race Car.

Interior is in good condition. No cracks on the dash

Additional information:

Was a "grey market car", imported in from Bremerhaven. Has a total of 102k miles. 70k on engine. The car seems to have been built for German roads because all of the guages and panels are in German.

I've got the orignal manuals - not in German though.

There's special stickers in the engine bay that tell about the engine - haven't checked myself so don't know much about them right now.

It was imported into the States in '85 and spend the whole time down here in the Southwest. I've got the shipping manifest that tells of this.

Problems:

Electrical system has some bugs - battery drains when left connected, power windows don't work.

Tires are in poor condition

Carborators need to be tuned or rebuilt.

Interior roof is faded

I'm not looking to sell this vehicle on this thread. I am looking for help. Whats important, what isn't? Is it possible to give a price quote or a ballpark of where I should start. How should I go about selling online or advertising to the East Cost?

If I've posted in the wrong area, I apologize.

Thank you for your time
-Logan
Old 05-11-2005, 02:10 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Rust is very very important. Also service records. a '76 is not a real good year. you'll need to prove that expensive mods were done inside the engine or sell for a pretty low price.

Before going to eBay, you can try the classifieds here (if you join) and/or at the Pelican bbs.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:15 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pelican has a ton of postings for Porsche for sale:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forum...s=&forumid=240
Old 05-11-2005, 12:05 PM
MitaDC128
AutoX

I've got quite a few service and repair receipts, anything in particular I should focus on? Thanks for the help you've already given, I'm going to start researching those sales forums.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:27 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Focus on the bolt thingies that hold the engine case together... You really need to do some searches or look at some FAQs to get up to speed on what these special design engines need - the Mg cases have 'issues' that need to be dealth with to prevent the thing from blowing up... any knowledgeable buyer will worry about that or just reject the car.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:57 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

If it is truly an RS spec engine, it should be robust, but take Randy's advice and read up.

If you can get under the car, look near and above the center seam of the case for the type number. This will help establish what the case is.

Tires are not important on that kind of car. Does the AC work? Has the car been in stroage, and thus are there brake issues? Interesting it is a past race car, but has power locks and sunroof? Can you expand on the car's history?

You will have to spend a fair bit of time to become knowlegable, which can be fun, but might not be what you want to do, not being too 'into' the marque.

Oh well, if we live long enough there always comes a time when we pay back our parents for all they did for us. It is a sacred duty. enjoy it and him as much as you can.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:47 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

you know you probably have an Al case engine... much stronger

you should start a thread on Pelican with the VIN - this might be a very interesting car to the right person
Old 05-12-2005, 01:42 AM
MitaDC128
AutoX

Asked around and it was not a racer car as I once thought. Its was lap car. While doing research on the engine. It looks nothing like the ones posted here. It might be the six webber carbs - I'll post a photo, hopefully next week. I'll also take that vin over to the Pelican.

I picked up his file folder on the car and there's a fair amount of receipts for repairs such as switches and hoses. A body kit has been added but I'm looking for some docs on that engine. I'll look around for a model/serial number on it and ask some questions. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:48 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

those are actually 2 carbs -- each has 3 horns and the intake horns share a float chamber.

good luck

BTW, have you driven the car much yet? You might try driving it a bit and see if you don't get hooked...
Old 05-12-2005, 11:52 AM
MitaDC128
AutoX

I have definately driven it. Back when I was 19, I took it out at nights while the parents were out of town. Cruised from Phoenix to Tucson (100 miles) in about 45 minutes. Average speed was 120 - it also helped that it was 2am. The car seemed the happiest upwards of 100mph. Drove it around a little since then. Nice car but my heart lies with 4x4's and trucks.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:17 PM
H. Miller
Racer

OK, we understand your heart lies with trucks and 4x4s and we all have our hobbies but please remember you're on a Porsche 911 web forum (paid for by many who use it) and the folks here are trying to help you.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MitaDC128
I've no idea what to ask or how to sell it online. I choose to sell it online because its an Arizona car and has NO RUST, which seem marketable to the east coast.

Here is a run down of what it is and whats been done.

1976 911S Porsche Coupe - Silver over ?? Interior
Rust Free
Euro Model
102,000 miles on body, 70,000 miles on rebuilt engine.
3.0 RS Spec. Engine (40IDA3C) - Built 1987 - estimated 250 Hp
5 Speed limited slip transmission, short shift kit
Sport Muffler
Webber Carbs
Dual Aux. Oil Coolers - located in right front fender and in front air dam
Front Strut Brace
Steel braided brake lines
Front and Rear Spoilers
Sunroof
Air Conditioning
Sony CD
Power Windows
Recaro Seats - poorly reapolstered
Interior is in good condition. No cracks on the dash

Additional information:

Imported from Bremerhaven to United States in 1985 and has spent the whole time in the Southwest since then. Shipping manifest available..
Guages and panels are in German.
English manuals

Problems:

Battery drains when left connected
Power windows don't work
Tires need replacement
Carburators need to be tuned or rebuilt.
Headliner is faded
Logan:

As other's have mentioned, 1976 is not the best year for 911's. They did not come from the factory with robust engines. However, this car seems to have an engine upgrade or transplant, which may help in selling this car.

Documentation is important. You should go through the records 1 by 1 and see if any documentation is available for the engine rebuild or transplant. What shop did it, how long ago was it done, what did it encompass and how much did it cost. If you have these documents, that will help greatly with the selling process.

Other documentation that is important is if there has been any transmission work done on the car, brake work, clutch replacement, major body work (repair or repainting), etc. Small hose replacements and minor trim item receipts are not all that critical. The major receipts that are very helpful are the ones for the engine work and transmission work (if any).

Pictures help sell cars. Clean this car up good. Wax it, vacuum it well, dress the tires, etc. Don't take pics with your phone camera (those are almost worse than no pictures). Use a decent digital camera or have someone with a good camera take pics for you.

I've modified your original post above to show how you could list this car on line. Other people may have a different opinion on how the description should read. Add the interior color. I'd make a reference to the condition of the paint (original, repainted in 19XX, etc), or if you don't know if it's been repainted, then just leave it as "silver". Highlight the good parts of the car and be honest with the bad parts. These are all old cars and we, as Porsche people, tend to expect some flaws. Perfect old 911's are very rare...

A mint condition 1976 911 with no major flaws, proper documentation, bone stock, rust free and with it's original paint may bring $9000 to $12,000. A dog that needs a ton of repairs may bring $2500 to $3500. I'd start this car off at maybe $9000 or $9,995 and go down from there... I'm just guessing, but this car may bring $5000 to $7000 in the end...

If you just want to dump it without spending any time or money on it, put it on Pelican Parts for $4500 and see what happens.

I'm not a carburator expert, but spending some money on cleaning and/or adjusting the carbs to get the car to run well might be money well spent. If a car runs good, that's always a plus when selling.

Also, be prepared for potential buyers to want to have a pre purchase inspection done on the car. They will want you to take it to a shop of their choice for them (not you) to pay for a mechanic to spend 1-3 hours on the car going over things to see what is wrong.

Good Luck and feel free to post back if you have more questions, even if they seem like dumb questions. We'll help.

Jay
90 964

Last edited by Jay H; 05-12-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:22 PM
MitaDC128
AutoX

Whoa - that was, at the very least, a wealth of information and helped greatly. I'm going through the paper work now and sorting things out. Photo are being accumulated. Thanks for rewording the original text, it gives me a much clearer idea of how I should list it.

I will probably post a photo of the engine and some close-ups of the bay next week. Anything in particular I should focus on?

Thanks again for the information everyone has contributed, it has helped greatly.

Logan
Old 05-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MitaDC128
I will probably post a photo of the engine and some close-ups of the bay next week. Anything in particular I should focus on?
Logan:

Check out some of these sites for ideas on what could be used for photos on 911's.

www.aicauto.com (choose the inventory link on the home page)
http://www.midwestperformancecars.com
www.europeanlocators.com (choose Auto Gallery on homepage)

You'll definitely want a shot of the engine in your ad since people will probably be pretty interested in what's going on in that department. If the underside of the motor isn't too full of oil, that's another good shot to get. Pull the carpet back on the front trunk and shoot a pic of the spare tire area and around the battery.

You may know this already, but the best light to shoot cars in for the casual photographer is just after sunrise or just before sunset. Don't take shots of the car at high noon on a sunny day...

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964
Old 05-13-2005, 01:34 AM
jeff911
8th Gear

I'll give yo $9K

Quick Reply: Looking to Sell