Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Areas of concern with a 1985 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 11:26 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Areas of concern with a 1985 Carrera

Besides a compression test, what should I request done for a PPI on a 1985 Carrera? Are there specific concerns with this year and model?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Michael:

Look at the top of the 911 Forum page for an entire treatise about PPI's written by Pete Zimmerman. Its excellent,...

Compression tests are IMHO, somewhat worthless. Have a Leakdown test performed and have the results written down for you. Further, if the leakdown figures are higher than 6%, have the technician tell you WHERE its leaking from; intake system, exhaust system, or the oil tank filler tube. That quantifies the results.

Overall, the '85 Carrera is a great car. Hopefully, you have the previous owner's records.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:30 PM
lally911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for rust or battery acid around the battery tray - then look underneath the front at the support piece that goes between the front suspension points. There are three holes in this piece usually plugged with rubber plugs. Press around these holes and see if the metal feels spongy or if you can hear a crinkling sound. If its spongy or you can hear strange noises there may be a rust problem from leaking battery acid. This can lead to replacing the suspension pan which is a pain in the a$$. Here is what you don't want to find.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:00 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are tall, remember that Porsche raised the height of the driver's seat in 1985 for some reason. It was lowered again in 1986.

Ian
Old 04-19-2005, 09:47 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Quite the opposite. I am vertically challenged, so I high seat works for me. I am going to do the PPI with Instant-G in DE. Hopefully everything will come back good.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

PPI should cover just about anything that could be bad with an '85. Some of the 3.2 motors are known for valve guide wear, but other than tracking oil consumption I'm not sure how to check for that? Anybody else know?
Old 04-21-2005, 08:23 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Non of this matters anymore. The owner of the company doing the PPI turns out to be the previous owner. I was arranging for a time to do the PPI, the current owner took it to the shop and the previous owner bought the car back!!!!!!!!!! Disappointment is not the word. The new owner sent me an email saying he would do some work on the car and put it up for sale, but I am still disappointed. I really have become very discouraged with this process. I might just give up the search. I was looking for something sporty and fun to drive in the brief michigan summer. I guess my mercedes will have to do. It is not fast, but at least it is comfortable!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:43 AM
BER
Pro

I have a suggestion before you "throw in the towel".

Most PCA Regions have a website. On those websites are 1) classified ads, and 2) copies of the Region's newsletter with classified ads. Have you checked out this vast resource? There are probably close to 100 Regions with individual websites. If you can't find a car using this resource, then go get the towel.

Here's the link to the national Region directory: http://www.pca.org/regions/index.html
Old 04-21-2005, 09:16 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found my car after I gave up the serious search (6 months, 3 failed PPIs etc) & was just scanning the for sales. Michael, step back, take a deep breath & keep looking. It is worth it.

Ian
Old 04-21-2005, 10:10 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't give up. I never actually looked hard, found a few cars here & there, but there was always something that caused the deal to so south. A few weeks ago, a fellow co-worker sent me a text page at 10:00 Friday night telling me about one he saw for sale on the side of the road. I went to look at it Saturday, put a deposit on it until I could get the PPI done, and officially bought her last Wednesday.

Quick Reply: Areas of concern with a 1985 Carrera