Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How does driving a 911 compare to other "fun" cars...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 06:35 PM
JonT.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How does driving a 911 compare to other "fun" cars...

such as the older big block 63-73 vettes, shelby cobras, sixties muscle cars. I'm talking about how they rate on the fun factor scale. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2002, 06:45 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jon,

I guess it depends on how you get your kicks.

Personally, I have an absolute blast driving my 911. But then again, I've always gotten a bigger kick about going around corners than I have in speed & accelaration. Don't get me wrong, 911's are pretty quick, but they're not the torque monsters that a Corvette or muscle car is. On the other hand, I don't think the muscle cars can match the way the 911 squats into the turns. I'm also fairly sure that you'll find the 911 much more responsive to throttle steering than the other cars you mentioned.

Drive 'em all and give us a full report!

-- Melissa
Old 03-17-2002, 07:24 PM
Dana Drury
Intermediate

Talking

Wait... you mean those big block cars rate compared to a 911??
Old 03-17-2002, 08:15 PM
philfran
Intermediate

I've had three older mustangs...2 1965 Hipo 289's and one 1970 Mach 1 with a 351 cleaveland in it. All three of them would out run my 78 SC but none were as much fun. The 911 has a great powerband that when you hit 3500 rpm and she comes on the cam you get a smile on your face. Can't smoke (actually don't try to) the tires but the 911 corners like on rails

I autocrossed all of the Mustangs but haven't done the 911 yet but I know it would kick the other threes butt.

Also, the 911 is much more solid, no rattles or noises. I would never go back!
Old 03-17-2002, 10:26 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I was about to post how absolutely fun I think my friends BMW 2002 turbo is, but then i read the part about the muscle cars. Well, my father just picked up a new Corvette convertible (in auto, hahah) and I got a chance to drive it. The car is an absolute beast when you dip into the throttle, it's FAST and responsive and the LS1 V8 wastes no time getting into the powerband.....and above the speed limit. However, it's not nearly as fun as my 911 is to throw around on Stunt Rd. But if you fancy leaving two thick black marks wherever you stomp on it, then this thing is definitely worth a look at.

later,

amir
Old 03-17-2002, 10:39 PM
rayjay...'80SC
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had a '56 chevy with a c-gas 327, a '64 Impala SS with a stock 425 horse 409, a '57 Alpha Julietta Spider Veloce, a full-race '57 MGA, a '70 datsun 240Z, a highly modified '59 Harley Sporster (!!), etc. Muscle is great in a straight line but the 911 has it all in civilized (?) moderation. Power, grace, style & comfort. I love my SC.
Old 03-18-2002, 03:41 AM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Major fun factor. But really hard to compare to the others. I had a '65 Impala, 4spd, 4.11 gears, it was fun, 69 Riviera, 70 Skylark, and my dad's got an '82 Vette with a ZZ4 crate motor. The other's are fun, but I much prefer my 911 to them all. I will eventually own some sort of old muscle as well as my 911.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:09 AM
Drew Theodore
Instructor

I have a 1967 small block vette, 1966 big block vette with 450 hp and a Dinan 5 BMW. The big block vette and the BMW have big torque and are really fun to drive when there are no curves. Its a rush to go in a straight line with all that torque. I also have a 82 911SC which is the opposite. Not alot of neck wrenching torque but a blast to drive around curves.
You can't really compare.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:01 PM
gerry100
Pro

I've just moved to a 911, my previous toy was a '94 6sp Vette and I have had an SHO and '95 Impala SS as daily drivers, some comments-

- the Vette was a thrill ride I had to be in the mood for, I want to take the Carrera almost everywhere everyday , weather permitting.

- Despite the Vette's awesome power and tremendous grip, the ponderous feel and lack of feedback prevent the great majority of drivers from ever tapping the full potential. A highly skilled Corvette driver (or one with a lot of track time) would beat me in the Carrera, but I don't think me in my Vette could catch me in my Porsche in the twisties.

- Every time I take the Porsche out, I learn to drive it a little better- this is very rewarding and keeps you wanting more.

- Mustangs,Camaros,BMW's and even the Vette( via the parts bin) are passenger cars that are modified for high performance. The 911 is a refined(overly refined some say) racing car.
I think that is why, you can take your stock 911 to a track day- thrash it for a couple of hours and drive it home. I don't belive my Vette would have done that without extensive,expensive Mods.

I guess it's up to individual needs/tastes - but I know I'm going to have a lot more fun with the Porsche
Old 03-18-2002, 05:53 PM
nexusone
6th Gear

Buy a honda. Talk about bang for the buck. Total blast to drive, and with a few mods you can eat Porsches for breakfast. In the straights, but especially in the turns.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:10 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
"Buy a honda. Talk about bang for the buck. Total blast to drive, and with a few mods you can eat Porsches for breakfast. In the straights, but especially in the turns."

...and then you woke up.

BTW, I agree with the comment that it depends on what you are looking for in a ride. Sure, some 911's, particularly newer ones, can be incredibly quick off the line but it's all of the other things that really make the 911 so much fun. I've driven a number of modern performance cars (never really driven an old muscle car) that could out-perform my current 911 but my 911 is raw...a pure sports car. I LOVE it. And like everyone else, get the thing into curves and it'll be a week before you can wipe the smile off your face...fortunately, that's just enough time to tie you over to the next big drive! Hey, I even get a grin just sitting in the car!!! What, with the big ole' tach staring back at you, just daring you to let her show you what she can do....what's not to love???
Old 03-18-2002, 06:18 PM
nexusone
6th Gear

*snicker* You porsche guys are laughable. ****ing elitist pigs who refuse to accept the reality of superior engineering outside of porsche.

Talk about needing to wake up.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:19 PM
R. Santore
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by nexusone:
<strong>Buy a honda. Talk about bang for the buck. Total blast to drive, and with a few mods you can eat Porsches for breakfast. In the straights, but especially in the turns.</strong><hr></blockquote>

haha i didnt know the idiots from the Si formus browsed over here.. anyway, regard the typical "ricer" remark.. I have a 96 mustang GT with NUMEROUS mods including a supercharger, huge brakes, etc... and i have a 74 carrera that is WAY more fun to drive.. i love the brute strength of my stang but when it comes to a car that does everything well, my 74 is just a blast.. I also had a 90 911 C2 with alot of mods and in my opinion it was the best all around car i've ever had or even drove..
Old 03-18-2002, 06:30 PM
nexusone
6th Gear

R.Santore: At least you can look beyond the Porsche curtain. Saying that in terms of drivable fun, the porsche is better than something else is fair. The comment that you make about doing everything well and being FUN is what drew me to the hondas.

I concur with you regarding the ricer-syndrome. See I lurk here and decided to finally register. Any true auto enthusiast should follow at least loosely a smattering of the current performance offerings. I try to be open minded in terms of the technology available even if it isnt what I choose to drive on a daily basis.

I actually finally decided to register because I want to know where the arrogance that many 911'ers have comes from. I don't necessarily think that I'll find the answer here but I figured that the only way to know was to start posting and asking questions and such.

I don't mean to be offensive, I'm just tired of the Porsche condescension that I get from a lot of owners, ESPECIALLY 911 drivers. What ever happened to respect for your fellow motorist?
Old 03-18-2002, 06:57 PM
rayjay...'80SC
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe you should actually drive a 911 and see for yourself what we're talking about. It may sound like elite arrogance to someone who has never actually driven a Porsche, but if you have ever driven any 911 you would know that there is a big difference between driving a designed, factory hand-built race car and driving a modified Honda Civic. Try it...you might even like it.

Quick Reply: How does driving a 911 compare to other "fun" cars...