Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How does driving a 911 compare to other "fun" cars...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 11:45 PM
kenshi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Supra. I want to get behind the wheel of one of those one day and a Skyline GTR if i could find one. Saw a Japanese video of a tricked out Supra going against a modified Skyline GTR, very cool stuff.

You are right, my 88 Carrera will get smoked by those cars. But i really do not own a Porsche to smoke other people's cars, I just like Carreras. Heck, i got "smoked" by a Hyundai tonight
Old 11-25-2002, 12:40 AM
Flybye
Cruisin'

[quote]Originally posted by Dean/O:
[QB].....God help you Boxster and 911 owners when a modified mkiv Supra blazes by.......<hr></blockquote>
Shh!!! I see enough of the MKIV vs FD fights on the RX-7 and Supra Forums!
I just find it funny that there is also a supra owner here
Old 11-25-2002, 04:44 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Having driven plenty of cars, and being a 911 freak, the only cars that I consider as fun or maybe even a little more fun than the 911 are the Lotus Super 7 and the Mini Cooper. The featherweight Super 7 is a blast. There is just no car like it. Except for maybe the only sports car in production today, the Lotus Elise. The Mini is also a blast, though not as much as the Super 7. But still a great car. Of course the Mini I am talking about is the old(real) Mini and not the new "Jumbo" Mini which is almost as big as a Focus and weighs almost as much. I drove an old turbocharged Mini on 13 inch Revolutions and flares a while back, and that little car will always stay in my mind. The new Mini is nothing like the original. If feels more like a refined mid-eighties GTI. While I like it, it doesan't do give me the Mini fix. Kind of like drinking a light beer when you are a Guiness kind of guy. Which is also the way I feel after I drive 996's. But in the end, I will always prefer the 911. But if I owned a 427 Cobra and Mini Cooper, along with my 911, I would have the three main performance car icons of the last 50 years. Those three cars have a lot more in common than with any other cars in terms of recognition, race victories, staying power etc...
Old 11-25-2002, 11:38 AM
craigg
Instructor

I agree with the comment about the Super 7 - not a car I would want to own myself but, wow, now THAT is a true "Sports car". Nimble, light and... well, doesn't look like a shoe.

As for the earlier comment about a modified Supra mkiv "blowing past" various Porsches, what is it with these guys. I am sure a modified anything can blow past a stock anything - depending on the mods. Are we living in a version "Fast and Furious" where you throw a little NO2 at anything and you'll blow past everyone - until the head gaskets pop, or worse.

Now STOCK Supra against STOCK Boxster S on a twisty road course - any distance - and that would say something! From a fun factor point of view, I recommend you all take a run in an "S" (PSM recommended) and see what YOU think.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:32 PM
Jerry Mouton
1st Gear

Cool

JonT,

I have a 1964 Jaguar E Type (as well as two Carreras) and this is very much a fun car, very comparable to the Carrera, and yet very different. Remember that this is a car 24 years older than my '88 911. It's about the same weight, about the same power, but very close to balanced weight distribution. It is also very much a race car for the street, being a close derivation of the Jaguar D Type (with some improvements, like IRS)

Like the 911, it is just incredibly easy and fun to throttle steer. The weight balance makes it less tail-happy than the 911. I autocross both of these in SCCA events in San Francisco, Porsches in PCA, too. The Jag brakes are almost as effective as the 911's, despite age and crudeness. Between them they give a broad menu of driving fun.

The Jag was designed before they discovered the magic of wide tires, so it's hampered by narrow tread from cornering force. The XK engine, designed in about 1947, has just about flat torque from 2000 to about 6000 RPM, and it's acceleration from speed is as good as or better than the Porsche. It can make about as good time in twisties as the Porsche, but not the top speed with the 3.54:1 gearing and 4-speed I have.

Both are great, both are immense fun. However, the difference is kind of like this: Driving the Jag, you are using a wonderful piece of machinery to cope with the challenges the road throws at you, near perfection. Driving the Porsche, you ARE the road.

Quick Reply: How does driving a 911 compare to other "fun" cars...