Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How does driving a 911 compare to other "fun" cars...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 08:08 PM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
So that why she has a HUGE temper......But in relity she is very good about it, hence the statement that i did marry the perfect woman. Heck, her car is badder than mine. We define beauty and the beast. Anyway, my problem is my pic's are on MY computer, not on a website, so how do i put them on here. (remember easy for the stuid guy in the north east, who doen't own a software company

Have a 600-700hp 69 440 full on mopar engine sitting in my garage if anyone wants to stuff it into a 911 (there, keeping up the origional thread)

andy
Old 03-21-2002, 08:23 PM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

That's laurie kicking my *** at NHIS

That should be me chasing her. she just said i look like i'm not even on the track in my pic, meaning she is pointing out that i'm off the line again!!!

andy
Old 11-24-2002, 02:38 PM
j959
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by andy sanborn:
<strong>Steve:

the whole motorcycle thing is the same as the Rice rocket thing. Most run Rice stuff, and my wife and i just happen to run Italian stuff. Same issue. the Jap bike riders always want to go at it, and after you whomp them (which always happens), they go by again at a stupid speed. Don't get it.

andy</strong><hr></blockquote>

u cant really be this stupid...

the japanese lead the market when it comes to motorbikes....motorbikes arent rice (the jap ones), its a different culture....

i have 2 bikes, a cbr250rr (redlines at 18k) and a cbr900...(which will dust the ducati 900 series...)

the japanese bikes (esp suzuki and honda) consistantly produce the fastest and most reliable sports bikes around....

as far as your comment about speedin past....losers quite often do that, in some misguided sense that it will allow them to hold onto their pride and maybe keep your respect...with bikes, its generally different than in cars.....racing is normally done with ppl u hook up with on the road (in other words no reason to speed away) or with mates (again why speed away)

its really only in cars this happens....

i find that respect is more common in the bike world than in the car world...

nearly everytime ill pass a bike, therell b a thumbs up, smile or a major checking out of each others rides...

your comment about japanese bikes is ignorant, and is like ferrari or porsche vs nsx....

id take a decent 1 litre suzuki or honda over a ducati anyday....

theyll get nice 10 sec 1/4 miles, with some mods, sub 10s, and be completely drivable...

hayabusas run easy 9s with some suspension work and a capable rider....he will hand his *** to you....

i dont think you can make a reasonable similarity
between euro/jap bikes and euro/jap cars....

totally different worlds, totally different type of people

this is all in my experience, it might be different in the states....bikers here in aus just seem to be pretty cool with each other....
Old 11-24-2002, 03:01 PM
Flybye
Cruisin'

I think I can give a little bit info on this thread

I own a low 12s 3rd gen (93)RX-7. (not too fast but fast enough to keep up with those pesky 996 turbo guys )
My friend owns an 85 NA Carrera (ECU, intake, suspension mods)
My other friend owns a 951 pushing out about 20psi with modded engine.
I worked at a used cardealership and drove an 01 Carrera2.

And for the record, someday I look forward to owning a white 930

I LOVE my friend's 85 Carrera. The car just feels right all the way around and it FEELS like a sports car. It's the combination of the vintage interior, body, gauge layout, handling, and smoothness of the engine. Although it doesn't come near the performance or handling of my 7, I very much enjoy driving it.

When I drove the 01, I could NOT believe how it felt. It made me feel TOTALLY undetached from the car. Every feeling the 85 gave me is gone in the 996. It's more of a luxury car than a sports car in my opinion. It just felt TOO mushy. Sure, it had a lot of bells and whistles, but I would take my buddies 17 year old 911 any day over that 996. It just made me feel TOO detached from the road, and I was very unpleased with it.

I lot of people say Porsche is about the name and nothing more. I totally disagree. I Love their engineering and quality, and was very impressed when I helped my friend replace his headgasket on his 944.

I won't be selling the RX-7 to get the 930. Both cars are in totally different worlds. Besides, I'll probably keep the 930 stock and simply add Fiskes and basic performance mods. When I get a 993 Turbo S, then maybe I'll go full mods
Old 11-24-2002, 04:22 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Do we really own our Porsches because they are fast? Come on now, we own them because they are PORSCHES! Porsches are the ultimate driving machine, the relentless pursuit of perfection and there definitely is NO SUBSTITUTE. You can modify most cars until you are out of cash. However, you will never understand what it is to be behind the wheel of a 911 until you are there. Elitist? Absolutely not. Enthusiasts? Absolutely yes. I've had RX7's, Acura's and Honda's and even a 924 but everytime I start up and drive my 911 C2 Cab, I know deep down that I will always own a 911. In fact, I am about to purchase a 1996 911 C4S and join the 2 Porsche family.
I also get the requisite challenge from "ricers" at every street light but rarely do I endulge them. I drive my car BECAUSE it is a Porsche. Because of the way it drives, because of the way I am in tune with the road, because of the way I feel in the drivers seat.
Before you come to the Porsche discussion board, try driving a 911 before you start slamming us. I was where you were 10 years ago, hope to see you converted in a few years.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:48 PM
Dean/O
Advanced

For me, my 2000 M Coupe is more faithful to the original spirit of the 911 than any of the "modern" Porsches. The M Coupe is raw, visceral and more fun than any car I own, including my 1987 Carrera.

Dean

Old 11-24-2002, 05:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,083 Likes on 2,865 Posts
Dean - I agree about the M Coupe - great car, but I can't figure out for the life of me why it weighs over 3,000 lbs - that's one place where it's not true to the original 911 design (that weighed 33% less)
Old 11-24-2002, 06:14 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im driving a 951 right now - my father is a Corvette nut - owned a few - earliest was a 69 if Im not mistaken and the newest was a 90 (think hes got the C5 bug now though). Having driven his 1990 C4, I can say that in terms of "fun factor" it doesnt even come close to a 911. Go drive one, youll understand.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:13 PM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I drive (or look at, for that matter) a 911, I sense that "its sum is greater than its parts". Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic. It's almost as if you can feel the FUN the engineers had designing it.

David Cate
'89 911 Targa
Old 11-24-2002, 08:48 PM
craigg
Instructor

M Coupe (or Roadster for that matter) looks like a shoe. No getting around it. Put a great motor in a shoe (even with nice Blue paint) and its still a shoe? Want a Beamer, get an M3 or better yet, an M5. Then you will smoke just about everybody - and still have the cupholders AND room for the family. Now THAT's a car.

But for looks, nothing, but nothing, looks as nice as a 911.

Period.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:49 PM
craigg
Instructor

Well, maybe a Boxster looks as nice as a 911...

Yeah, that's right, I went out a looked. IT does!!
Old 11-24-2002, 09:42 PM
Dean/O
Advanced

GrantG,

I think that the M Coupe extra pounds accumulate when you add side air bags, stereo with subwoofers, extra sound deadening, sunroof and all the other goodies expected in modern sports cars. BMW didn't exactly make the M Coupe a lightweight...the engine block and hood aren't aluminum, for instance.

On the other hand, the M Coupe's acceleration and steering feel is sublime. It drives like an extension of your will. A great track car, and superior in every way to an 80's 911. It should be, it's 20 years younger.

craigg,

I won't argue about the M Coupe styling. You either love it, or hate it. My guess is that you've never spent much time driving one. If you haven't, you really missing out.

Still loving my '87 Targa,
Dean
Old 11-24-2002, 10:12 PM
kenshi
Advanced

I have owned and loved an 88 CRX Si, 92 Integra GSR and a 98 Civic Si in my teens and early 20s. All *excellent* cars, not better or worse than a Porsche, just different. But now, i prefer the Porsche. I hope that many of the more passionate Asian import guys will grow up into Porsches. You do not see too many 40+ or even 30+ guys in tricked out Asian imports do you?

But now, I have to go check the Hyundai board (if there is one), some guy in a Hyundai Sports Coupe tailgated and passed me on the freeway this evening and continued to weave in and out of traffic at about 100mph. Probably declaring on his board that he ate up a 911 this evening. I was just cruising along with traffic having a nice conversation with my brother
Old 11-24-2002, 10:13 PM
craigg
Instructor

Of course I've driven the M Roadster. Good acceleration... for a shoe. I never criticized its performance. And since this is a 911 Board, you are bound to find people preferring the 911 look.

I have nothing against BMW but now that the Z4 is out, I guess the whole question of the look is moot. It is now a new game. I have only seen pictures so I am not sure if its a shoe.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:52 PM
Dean/O
Advanced

craigg,

The M roadster has the structural rigidity of a wet noodle compared to the M Coupe. The driving experience is very different. The M roadster appeals much more to the automotive dilettantes anyway. You're right, this is a 911 board and I have no agrument that the 911 shape is one of the best ever.

Here's mine with my wife waving:

kenshi,

I'm 30 something and I guess I'm sort of a resurgent Asian import fan. After Porsches and BMW's, I've "regressed" back to a 1997 Supra TT, 2003 Nissan 350Z and 2002 WRX. I don't make much of a distinction between Japanese and German sports cars anymore. If it's good, it's good.

God help you Boxster and 911 owners when a modified mkiv Supra blazes by...

Dean

Quick Reply: How does driving a 911 compare to other "fun" cars...