Greetings from Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 06:45 PM
youngatheart
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Greetings from Toronto

Hi there everyone,

I love taking to all you crazy Porshe enthusiast , but this topic is rather a bit more specific to people from Toronto, Canada.
There seems to be a great presence of Porsche parts, accessories and services available in the US. The choices are endless in the US.
In Toronto here, it is so limited. There is probably only a handful of parts and service places available for Porsches. Not very comforting here.

I am very excited when I see on the post that many people have taken the plunge to do intricate work on their Porsche. I too are very enthusiastic and have decided and started to learn and work on my Porsche.
I am a handy person but still a beginner ( when it comes to working on the Porsche). I would love to get to know more people that I could learn from in the Toronto area. I would love to offer free help to anyone in Toronto to learn more about the 911 Porsche.
It would be great even to share info on where to get parts and who is a reliable mechanic, that sort of thing.
I have a 1987 , 911 Carerra. You don't have to have the same model.

If you live in Toronto and are interested, please let me know. Love to help out.
Are there such people in Toronto that actually works on their own Porsche?
Do they exist or are they all extinct?

regards,
Colin

Colin
Old 09-29-2004, 07:26 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colin,
I'm sure that there are also PCA members in Toronto.
See: www.pca.org
regards,
Steve
Old 09-30-2004, 02:56 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Colin:

You are not alone. Toronto - Sheppard/Warden area.

My '87 Cab is 1 month old now & I am still sorting out small issues to finally get in Ontario certified. Yes, I am working on my car. That was 1/2 the fun of buying one. Rotors, pads, tires, windshield washer, auto heat control - are all problems I've sorted out so far. Off to Gtek tomorrow for rear sway brackets since I can't weld here.

The Bentley, this BBS & Pelican can help you solve virtually any problem.

There are a few listers here & on Pelican that also live in Toronto or S. Ontario.

We'll have to get together when time (a rare commodity for me right now) permits.

Ian
Old 09-30-2004, 06:29 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

youngatheart: yes there are people in TO that work on their own cars.
The local PCA chapter ( http://www.pcaucr.org/pcaucr/site/home.jsp) is pretty active but there is a limited amount of DIY type traffic on the club website.
I have thought for a while that there should be a few interested owners of mid 80 Carreras that get together and swap ideas, experiences, etc.
I am in the process of replacing all of the suspension bushings with Elephant Racing parts, and dropping the engine to replace a bunch of seals.
I agree with Ian - between this and the pelican websites, Bentley manuals, and mail order parts, there is little that cannot be done yourself.
I am in the west end - send me a PM if you want to make contact off-line.

Bob D.
'84 Carrera
Old 09-30-2004, 09:10 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Bob.

On the subject of parts, I'm still looking for a supplier. I have ordered some from Pelican but shipping costs are pretty heavy duty. Pfaff Porsche has been my local fill in & they seem to have most things that I have wanted, albeit foir dealer-type pricing. I will be looking around & any advice is gratefully accepted.

Yes, we will have to organise something. And some runs somewhere too. We can probably start a nice cruising/help group. I have joined PCA, but have not pursued yet. I have known the chief driving instructor for 15 years, but I haven't seen him in a while. I am just zoo'd at work & I am travelling a lot right now. By plane unfortunately.

BTW Pfaff had an early 70s RS in the showroom today, as well as a late 80s Carrera. Cool.

Ian
Old 09-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

Ian:
I have found the trick with Pelican is to have the stuff shipped via USPS, either regular air mail or express mail for smaller things. With USPS, you avoid the courier companies customs clearance charges and the shipping itself is fairly reasonable. I just ordered all the seals and gaskets for the motor and I think the shipiing costs about $20 for the express air mail. My experience is that smaller packages get here within a week and bigger stuff within about two weeks.
Of course, Fedex still will work for the gotta-have-it-right now stuff.
The other place to try is Porschapart. While their main business is dismantling, they can gat dealer parts for a bit less than dealer prices:
http://www.porschapart.com/
I buy Swepco trans oil by the case and usiually have an extra gallon or so.
The local club has a fair number of fun runs, and 4 ro 5 track weekends per year.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:02 AM
youngatheart
Intermediate

Wow , there is a God out there.
You don't know how thrill I am to here from you guys.
I felt like I was the only one in a new foreign land.
We should definitely get together.I will make time.
I will send you guys PM to exchange our contact info.
Ian, I agree, part of the fun is working and learning about the 911. Is very rewarding gaining that knowledge.
Bob, let me know when you need free help to drop the engine. I have to drop my engine soon, in order to replace the clutch. I would love to see the whole experience at first hand. Love to help out.
I will send you guys PM to exchange our contact info.
That's awesome.

regards,
Colin
Old 10-01-2004, 03:57 PM
DCN 911
Track Day

Default 88 911 in Toronto

I have a 1988 911 Coupe - here in Toronto at Yonge & Lawrence. I get my car serviced in St. Catharines by Auguste Automobile Service - Auguste is a unique fellow who is a factory trained Porsche Mechanic. That being said, after my $150 oil change I would love someone to walk me through my first oil change. I have also had good luck with Engineered Automotive in Concord - they did my PPI

Regards,

DCN 911
416-601-8179
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2004, 04:32 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome DCN 911

You should be able to do it for ~ $50 CDN in your driveway. Dealer price on a filter is $21 & oil isn't that expensive - $15 for 5 litres (you'll need 10+).

I will be doing my 1st oil/fuel/air filter change this weekend - probably - if the wife doesn't think up too many other jobs. I just have to find a container to catch the torrent of oil.

I'm just trying to get it on the road finally . . .

Ian
Old 10-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

I get my routine stuff done at Refined Motorsports in Etobicoke. Henry Costa is a great guy - factory trained, etc.
August is also renowned - he did a bunch of work on my car for a previous owner.
I agree about the oil change cost, unless you use synthetic. Make sure you have a big enough container - it come out fast.
Here's a picture of my toy:

Let's keep this thread alive until we can figure out how to touch base locally.
Bob D
Old 10-01-2004, 04:47 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob

Love the plate. Are you there too? My car was my present to myself.

Ian
Old 10-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

Actually it was a present from my wife and kids, although i was consripted to find the car i wanted. They then bought it and put it in storage until my birthday.
It's an '84 with a bunch of tweaks, including replacing the bumpers with lightweight C2 replicas - took about 100 pounds off the car.
Bob
Old 10-02-2004, 02:56 PM
youngatheart
Intermediate

DCN 911, you are paying too much for an oil change even if your mechanic is giving you top notch synthetic oil. Ian is absolutely right about the cost. I do my own oil change and is really simple. You could Private message me and I will take you through the whole process. I have the "101 Project for your 911" by Dempsey book. Is a great book for about $30, I got my money worth just by doing one oil change. The colour photos in the book is so clear. By the way, love your Porsche because, my 911 looks exactly like yours but without the whale tail. Do a search and there is tons of info on how to change your oil in this site and Pelicanparts.com. My large container with a spout on the side from Canadian tire is perfect to hold all that oil.
Bob , awsome 911, I also dig the license plate.

Thanks guys for keeping this thread alive.
You guys rock.
Colin

87' 911
Old 10-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

DCN911 - if you haven't been to the Peloican site, you should check it out. There are tons of tech atricles on some of the things that anyone can do.
Guys - the next PCA-UCR meeting is on Oct 12th - why don't you attend, and we can have a beer:
http://www.pcaucr.org/pcaucr/site/page.jsp?Socials

Bob
Old 10-04-2004, 10:21 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is 'official'. My 1st oil change was a snap & cost $61.51 CDN.

The only hiccup was that I didn't check the book & unbolted the lower oil pressure relief valve instead of the sump drain. Being spring-loaded, it shot into 5" of hot oil. After I found the right drain plug, I pulled out the Bentley which told me what I had done & it was no biggie to rebolt.

I bought a large 12L drain pan from Crappy Tire which was filled to about 1/4" from the top.

Only minor garage floor spillage.

BTW my bill from G Tek was $1400 for rear sway brackets, smogging & front wheel bearings. I was somewhat surprised at the $s. They said the inner bearings gave them a lot of grief, which took them a lot of time. Hmmmmmm.

Ian

Quick Reply: Greetings from Toronto