Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What do you use to keep objects in place in your trunk/frunk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 01:02 PM
francesconyc
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question What do you use to keep objects in place in your trunk/frunk?

I'd like to keep a jumpstart device and a toolkit always in my car, but i dont know if there is. way to hold them in place... i dont want to have them sliding when accelerating/braking..

any solutions out there? cargo nets?
Old 02-06-2024, 02:38 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

All of my tools and materials on my 1986 911 Carrera Targa are stored under the front trunk carpeting, except the air compressor, loose in the floor and virtually always straddled by my folded Targa roof. The other exceptions are: my Porsche PNA 444 197 4 Porsche Tech Equipment First Aid Kit, stored loose under the passenger seat; my HalGuard HG100B Halon fire extinguisher, attached to the passenger footwell console side and my Element E50 fire extinguisher, loose in the glove box.

Most of the under-carpet stuff may be accessed by just moving the floor carpeting, sometimes by sequentially removing / replacing FIFO stuff for access.

Other stuff is tucked into cavities around the spare tire, requiring tire removal / replacement.

Stuff carried in my front trunk: several quarts of oil; oil funnel; OEM jack; complete OEM tool kit; Wera 056490 tool kit; triangle reflector in case; my augmentented Safety Seal tire plug kit; collapsed / folding wheel chocks and my hydraulic floor jack side pocket jack pad. I also keep an LED flashlight in the glove box.

IMO there is no need for cargo nets.

Last edited by wingless; 02-06-2024 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:48 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Here is my loose Porsche air compressor.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:47 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

There is a surprising amount of room in front of the fuel tank and behind the bumper, especially of you don't have an AC fan there. I am able to fit a quart of oil, scissor jack, a black plastic tool box with lots of tools, and a small air compressor. The new lithium-ion jump start batteries are so small you could probably fit one in there as well.

Things don't slide around.

Mark
The following users liked this post:
wingless (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 05:52 PM
francesconyc
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

oh ok will give it a try!
Old 02-06-2024, 05:54 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
There is a surprising amount of room in front of the fuel tank and behind the bumper, especially of you don't have an AC fan there. I am able to fit a quart of oil, scissor jack, a black plastic tool box with lots of tools, and a small air compressor. The new lithium-ion jump start batteries are so small you could probably fit one in there as well.

Things don't slide around.
Mine has the AC fan and I can still fit everything previously listed.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:50 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

A piece of advice … like Mark mentioned , he keeps a scissor jack in his frunk , i’m guessing he also found the OEM 911 unit quite unsafe !
Not sure what you have as a jack but buy a set of jacking pads and use a much safer 944 aluminum scissor jack .

Cheers
Phil
Old 02-06-2024, 08:13 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildcat077
A piece of advice … like Mark mentioned , he keeps a scissor jack in his frunk , i’m guessing he also found the OEM 911 unit quite unsafe !
Not sure what you have as a jack but buy a set of jacking pads and use a much safer 944 aluminum scissor jack .
Safety is paramount importance!

The aluminum 944 / 911 Carrera 2/4 jack has an oval plug on the business end, fitting into one of four mating receptacles on that model 911. Those receptacles don't exist on my model year vehicle.

My 1986 911 Carrera Targa instead has covered side square receptacles on each side, into which fits the jack arm, or my jack pad, as-shown here.

IMO usage of that Porsche scissors jack on my vehicle will result in underbody deformation unless a custom part is used to prevent that scissors jack damage.

At this point I will remain lifting at-home w/ my hydraulic floor jack and the jack pad shown. This has been a VERY secure and effective way of raising the vehicle to then rest on jack stands.

My current plan is for careful usage of the OEM bar / crank jack, should emergency road side usage ever be required.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:49 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

The aluminum 944 jack i carry in my 89 911 is only in case of an emergency … should i need it i use the jack pads with a hockey puck in which i grinded out a slot to fit on the 944 jack .

Cheers
Phil
Old 02-08-2024, 04:10 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

I hate using the lift points in the rockers. I have just a regular steel scissor jack with a fairly flat lift surface. Not the 944 version. Good enough to change a tire. I once even re-attached a CV joint that came loose using this jack.

Mark
Old 02-08-2024, 04:41 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

I hate using the lift points in the rockers.
Why?

I have just a regular steel scissor jack with a fairly flat lift surface. Not the 944 version. Good enough to change a tire. I once even re-attached a CV joint that came loose using this jack.
You are aware that jack usage is appropriate for emergency service, like changing a tire, where extreme caution is used to never be in a position to be hurt when / if a jack suddenly fails w/o warning.

For proper safety procedures, any / all service and repair must instead be performed w/ the vehicle supported by a device like a jack stand.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:59 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

I’ve owned my 89 since 2009 and thank goodness i never had to use one of the OEM jacks , be it the 911 or 944 version but in all fairness on the side of the road the 944 version is a lot safer. I have a lift in my shop and five different floor jacks and a nice assortment of jack stands …
Safety is definitely a priority !
With the race car i always carry two floor jacks and four jackstands in the trailer as you’re always jacking the car over a three day race weekend.
I’ve seen people crawl under their cars while just supported by a floor jack … only a quick visual on something , not a good idea !

Cheers
Phil
The following users liked this post:
wingless (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 08:58 PM
silverlock
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

A Carhartt tool bag: tucks tightly in between the brace and the back of the frunk. I wrap the handles around my strut tower brace to keep it from moving around.

Spare belts stuffed down where the jack is.

Quick Reply: What do you use to keep objects in place in your trunk/frunk?