Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Key won't turn !

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 03:53 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key won't turn !

Hopped in my '86 coupe for a Sunday drive and...

The ignition key won't turn. No amount of jiggling and coercing seems to work. Tried both of my keys.

This happened once before ( last year), and a few minutes of jiggling worked).

Any ideas form the 911 community?
Old 06-06-2004, 04:54 PM
CDiercks
Instructor

Try pushing in or pulling the key out slightly. Sounds crazy, but works for me. Sometimes I have to push the key in and turn at the same time to get it to work. If you still can't, sounds like it's time for a new ignition.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:23 PM
gerry100
Pro

Searched on the Pelican forum and got a few tips.

Tugging the steering wheel to and fro a little worked. Apparently, cocked wheel can load up the wheel lock and affect the switch.

Also recommneded was a dose of WD40, which I didn't need.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:51 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, it's the wheel lock. You can never turn the key if the wheel is locked, unless you turn the wheel a tad to the left.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:43 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Mine did the same thing before, everything was fine till I got back in to leave, key would NOT turn, no matter what I did, turning steering wheel left or right, jiggling key, pushing in, pulling out a little. It seems the lockout block had failed to reset when I turned ignition switch off and removed key. It was the block that prevents you from turning the key to the start position more than one time without turning key to the off position. I was lucky enough to be parked in front of a liquor store where the owner was a handyman, had a can of WD-40, I got some paper towels his can of juice and started to work on the switch. I stuck the tip of the key in just far enough to open the little cover then inserted the tube on the can and flooded the inside of the switch tumbler all the while bumping the steering wheel back and forth on the steering lock and then trying the key again. After doing this a couple of times, I heard and felt a little click at the switch, when I tried the key again, it worked fine, the blockout had reset. I now carry a can of WD-40 in the trunk. Have not had anymore problems with it doing that again. There was a lot of crap that came out when I flooded the switch, little metal specks, grime, grit, and dirt. I guess from just a lot of years of exposure and use. Good luck
Old 06-08-2004, 02:36 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At Hershey was that ign & door lock pro from Penn. thats what this guy specializes at. The PCA locals all know about him.. I could dig for the info if anybody wants.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Nixter
Advanced

Happens quite oftern with my 80 911 SC

I'll try the WD40 trick.

Nix
Old 06-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Hugh R
Advanced

Locksmiths say you should use powdered graphite, not WD-40. The oil gums up the tumblers. Go to a lock and key shop or hardward and get the graphite.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Paul (Weissach 911)
Advanced

I have the same problem with my 80 SC. I don't want to pony up the money to get it fixed right now, so I used powdered graphite with good results. I didn't have much luck with the WD-40, I think it's too worn. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Key won't turn !