ev conversion of 911

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 10:34 AM
tolle
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ev conversion of 911

hello.

Have a 1988 911 carrera that i was wondering about ev conversion on.
but some companies ive talked to sell it for way to high prices. and you have to do everything through a approved EV conversion partner. and theres no partners in norway that i can find.
so my question is. does sombody know of any pages or companies that sell individual parts for self assembly ?
seems hard to find. thinking there has to be some way to get this done with in 20 000 pound range.

Old 06-19-2023, 10:46 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

sacrilege.

wouldn't even dream of it.
The following 3 users liked this post by theiceman:
ab1752 (06-19-2023), jfischet (06-19-2023), sbsurfer (07-09-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 11:21 AM
tolle
4th Gear

Originally Posted by theiceman
sacrilege.

wouldn't even dream of it.
haha. have engine and everything. but its also much more interresting to have somthing that other people dont have. and you will not find anything like that in norway. so thats why i ask. but if all im going to get on a forum is this xD why even bother asking.
lets hope some other people have some better things to say. jesus crist people are so close minded.
The following users liked this post:
Kairing (07-11-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 11:39 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

ev west does conversions and sells parts. evwest.com if you do it, do it in a way that is reverseable and non-destructive.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:39 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

I believe there are some firms (esp UK) trying to sell a complete package. From what I've seen so far, the technical challenge is keeping the battery weight down while enabling more than 80-100 miles of range.

Electrogenic: https://www.electrogenic.co.uk/conve...orsche-911-kit
Felton: https://fellten.com/porsche911/

To me this is no different than the guy on Pelican trying to put a 996/997 transmission in a early car -- an expensive experiment that will irreversibly change your car. Experiments are essential (how else do we learn except by trying), but I wouldn't do it on a car I care about -- I'd do it on a roller or wreck. Putting a crazy heavy 997 trans in an early car seems pointless to me, but hey, I love to see people hacking at their expense so the rest of us learn something. Sometimes all we learn is that something is a bad idea. Coilovers on a street car might fall into this category for most of us.

Your car, do what you want.

My understanding is 20K MIGHT just get you the batteries. More like $100 to $120K to convert:

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/f...on-1234819581/
https://thedriven.io/2022/11/01/jaun...ers-and-minis/

Last edited by TheTorch; 06-19-2023 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:44 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

One of the local restoration shops here in Denver has for sale an early 911 on which they did an EV converstion. And I have a friend who did an EV conversion on his early 911 Pikes Peak Hillclimb racecar (which actually started life as a 912, so it already had one 'conversion'). So, it can be done. I believe the cost is much higher than the amount you estimate.
Old 06-19-2023, 12:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by tolle
haha. have engine and everything. but its also much more interresting to have somthing that other people dont have. and you will not find anything like that in norway. so thats why i ask. but if all im going to get on a forum is this xD why even bother asking.
lets hope some other people have some better things to say. jesus crist people are so close minded.
the 911 is a piece of iconic automotive history that will never be recreated, some of us feel it is more than just a box and feel a responsibility to preserve it for future generations to experience. .... but if you are self centered want to go hack one up for your own enjoyment and don't care about heritage .... go knock yourself out...
Old 06-19-2023, 01:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

if you have a nice running car I would not do that.

My shop has a 912 a customer sent them to put a tesla drive train in, really rotted out, trashed, no engine or trans, just a shell. They rehabbed the shell and spent considerable effort strengthening the chassis for the torque of the drive train.

But the cost to do it right, it's not cheap. The owner put the effort on pause last I heard. The parts plus labor is very high, there are no "kits" its a bespoke type project.

I'm not against this, but I also don't think you should take a nice running/condition car as a candidate for it.

Last edited by Spyerx; 06-19-2023 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:59 PM
tolle
4th Gear

Originally Posted by theiceman
the 911 is a piece of iconic automotive history that will never be recreated, some of us feel it is more than just a box and feel a responsibility to preserve it for future generations to experience. .... but if you are self centered want to go hack one up for your own enjoyment and don't care about heritage .... go knock yourself out...
like what is youre problem dude. its a car. and its planned with full reversability. so there is absolutly nothing to hack down on sombody for wanting to do somthing different.
its its fully reversable. whats youre issue. its not youre car. its not youre desition. so why are you beeng a dumb *** about it. i just came here to ask a simple question. not to be hacked down on for asking a question.
go buy ur own then and give it to youre kids if u want to so bad.
The following users liked this post:
Robb M. (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 02:17 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

like what is youre problem dude. its a car. and its planned with full reversability. so there is absolutly nothing to hack down on sombody for wanting to do somthing different.
its its fully reversable. whats youre issue. its not youre car. its not youre desition. so why are you beeng a dumb *** about it. i just came here to ask a simple question. not to be hacked down on for asking a question.
But thats the problem, to do it right and proper so it is safe and the car can handle the massive torque that an EV drive train produces, it's not reversible (easily). if you look at some of the "kit" suppliers, they even state for example the enhancements needed to chassis and suspension.

best of luck to you, but this is not a 'cheap' project, since that was the intent of your original question, doing this "inexpensively"
Old 06-19-2023, 02:55 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 276 Posts

First, watch your language; second, as you learn about EV conversion also learn a little more about English grammar and spelling.

Last edited by Igooz; 06-19-2023 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:21 PM
tolle
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Igooz
First, watch your language; second, as you learn about EV conversion also learn a little more about English grammar and spelling.
hahah xD gotta be the worst forum ive ever joined xD

wtf is this. ohh well. all you haters and morons have a great day.

ALL OTHERS THAT ACTUALLY ANSWERED MY QUESTION. THANKS ALOT

this will be my first and last time on this forum thats for sure xD

cant even ask a question without people turning in to compleet fkn ********. and me watch my language. xD watch the responses to my legit none toxic question. and then say that again with a straight face. like for ****s sake. it was just a question. if u have something against my question. then dont answer. its just that ****ing simple. no need to comment unnessesary dumb **** just because you think you are better. get a ****ing grip.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:56 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 712 Likes on 495 Posts

while i agree with you @tolle what a terrible way to enunciate your point, it gets lost in the vitriol.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Lol. Ok dude. Good luck on pelican forums
Old 06-19-2023, 09:15 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

This isn't necessarily a response to the OP, more a point of interest to the rest of the Rennlist community. You may not remember, but John Dunkle (our founder) once ran across his former 1987 Carrera on eBay after it had been converted to electric. This was in 2016.

Here is the thread. Similar reactions, lots of laments. Including by me. https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...t-a-shame.html

I don't know why the OP is so surprised at the responses. We're a passionate car forum. If this was an AMC Gremlin forum, the same thing would have happened to some degree. There is always a cross-section of owners that range from "do what you want" to believing having anything less than original wiper blades is an abomination.

OP just came to the wrong place. Probably would have better luck somewhere like this: https://www.diyelectriccar.com/

Mark
The following 3 users liked this post by Mark Salvetti:
gdp_samson (07-04-2023), jfischet (06-20-2023), kcsf (06-30-2023)

Quick Reply: ev conversion of 911