Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Buying my first Porsche...I'm a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 10:39 AM
Trent Dyrsmid
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first Porsche...I'm a newbie

Having just returned from a most incredible day at the Nurburg ring in a GT3, I have decided that I can put off buying my first Porsche no longer. I have always wanted a 911/964 so I've come here to ask some advice....

I have $25k USD to invest in a car with intent to add another $3-5K into seats/belts/tires/brakes to get the car in track ready condition.

Anyone care to start me off with what year/models I should focus on? Are there certain things to watch out for? I would dearly love an engine with 300HP, will this be possible?

The slate is wide open, so comment away, and thank you all very much for the help!

See you on the track!

PS: For whatever difference it makes, I'm in Canada
Old 04-29-2004, 02:12 PM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

You COULD buy a 1986 911 Targa for (relatively) cheap and put a turbo or supercharger in it to get 300HP...and be UNDER budget.

But, then again, maybe I've got ulterior motives.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:32 PM
SandyI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many different ways to build a track car. My advice is to buy a car someone else has already poured money into. Maybe attend your local PCA and Porsche Owners Club track events to get an idea of the cars people have built and the cost.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:35 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps a higher mileage but unabused early years - 1995 or 1996 993.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:03 AM
hotshoe911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with SandyI about getting together with your local PCA chapter and attend some of their events.

It is much more cost effective to buy a car that is already prept for the track, than to "build" one from scratch. It depends on what you are planning to do with the car.

Do you want to drive your car to work and track it once a month or do you plan to get a license and race all out? Very different animals.

If this is your first Porsche you should buy an inexpensive driver and learn about these cars, then after a few DE (driver training Events/ track time) decide how far you want to go.

Many people run their daily drivers on the track very economically and, if careful, do no damage.

As for 300HP, well, 157 HP at 140+ MPH feels just like 300 HP at 140+ MPH. It really depends on how well you drive the car. I have been blown away by 914s and 2.2L 911s, so I know it doesn't depend on the car.

Rule of thumb is to buy the newest car that you can afford, there is an evolution to these cars. Get a copy of Bruce Anderson's book to learn the differences between various models.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Trent Dyrsmid
Track Day

Thank you to all of you, there is plenty of good tips here. What is the name of the book by Bruce Anderson?
Old 05-02-2004, 12:01 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I believe that Bruce's Book is out of print. I looked on amazon.com and
Bruce's Website www.911handbook.com and do not see any reference to it.

You can certainly become a Rennlist member, were you have access to more information and "experts" than a thousand books. Good luck in your search, and be an informed purchaser, insist on work/part documenation, get a PPI and proceed slowly. My first Porsche cost me $1200+ for a new clutch in 1995 because in my excitement to get my first Porsche, I ignored the advice that I now pass to you.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:19 PM
Volney
Advanced

What a great question. You are going to have a lot of fun. I agree with the suggestions that you should hang out at Porsche events and see what cars are out there. When you are just starting out it's hard to know what you really want. The first big decision is to decide if you are an early/light car guy are a later car guy with more refinement. The early, light cars can be made to feel like they have 300hp without needing that much because being lighter they have great throttle response. It should be pretty easy to tell once you have ridden in a few examples of cars which direction you should go. I also agree that finding a car that has been developed already will put you way ahead of the game cost-wise. Either way I think that the more research and tire-kicking you do before pulling the trigger will result in a better overall experience. Looking for the right car can be so much fun. Making a hasty decision on what turns out to be the wrong car can be pretty demoralizing.

Have fun and let us know what happens!

Vol

early car guy...
Old 05-02-2004, 01:01 PM
randlej
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran across this beaut in my search for a 911 cab. Have to say, I was tempted. The owner is a driving instructor and has put a LOT of $ into the car. It appears to be totally redone with alll the best performance parts. He drives it on street and track.

1969 Porsche 911
Under 100,000 miles
2 owner
1969T originally
3.0 Liter SC motor

I can dig up his email if you are interested. I think he wants $21k for it.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Trent Dyrsmid
Track Day

Thanks again all, I narrowed my search down to a 993, preferably a 95 or 96. i have found a few on autotrader.com and also have a dealer, Truespeed Motorsports in California, looking for one for me. From everything I've read so far, it seems that the 993 was the best 911 built, from a performance and reliability perspective.

Quick Reply: Buying my first Porsche...I'm a newbie