Trying to find an old family car

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 11:17 AM
Crandy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to find an old family car

Hey Rennlisters -

I am on the hunt for the 911 I grew up with. My father bought a 1970 911E in the mid-80s and used it as a PCA school car for decades. Ultimately, he sold the car around 2005 to buy us a Formula Mazda in pursuit of my racing dreams. Unsurprisingly, those dreams never came to fruition, so now 15 years later, I want to find that 911 and buy it back for my dad. We sold it out of Southeast Michigan (the Toledo area) to Southern California, but I haven't kept track of it since. Does anybody have resources to help me out with this search? The vin is 911 020 1289.

Thank you!
Old 07-27-2020, 12:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

here we go again.....
so um what if the guy doesnt want to sell after you spend a year or so looking for it ? are you willing to pat top dollar and beyond ? even if its in terrible condition ? i get it if you want to take pics, but to buy it is a pipe dream ... ive said this before ....

--> my phone rings " hi , ive been looking for that car for years its an old car my dad drove, after exhaustive efforts i have found you !! , would you be interesting in selling it to me ? "
me --> " click"

last time a guy posted this he said " i would expect the guy to give me a good deal or i could pay fair market value max " if this is your thinking forget it.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:32 PM
Crandy
Track Day

Originally Posted by theiceman
here we go again.....
so um what if the guy doesnt want to sell after you spend a year or so looking for it ? are you willing to pat top dollar and beyond ? even if its in terrible condition ? i get it if you want to take pics, but to buy it is a pipe dream ... ive said this before ....

--> my phone rings " hi , ive been looking for that car for years its an old car my dad drove, after exhaustive efforts i have found you !! , would you be interesting in selling it to me ? "
me --> " click"
Thank you for your help.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:11 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

What the Iceman is getting at is that posts like yours come up here about once per month, and while your wish to get your old man's car back might be admirable, it isn't realistic. The good news is that people don't typically junk Porsche's, and it's probably still out there. The bad news is that there really is no way for a private citizen (versus the FBI) to trace a car based on so limited information. Your only real hope is to do a VIN search on the website of each state DMV. But remember that the owner's information is private, just like yours is. Searching that car on the CO DMV site, all it says is that it has not been reported as stolen. But even if you somehow find it, why would anyone sell it to you? You hire a detective and he somehow finds that car. Let's say that in 2005 your dad sold that '70E in maybe fair condition for maybe $8,000. Or less. Meanwhile, classic Porsche prices have become stratospheric, and over the past 15 years it's become somebody else's pride and joy. Maybe somebody restored it at a cost of maybe $75,000. Maybe more. Now in excellent condition it's worth $125,000. Having spent a year tracking down the owner, you now call the owner out of the blue, invading his privacy, and you offer $50,000 because it's your dear old dad's former car. Do you see Iceman's point?

Somebody should post a sticky: "What if you're looking for your old family car?"

Last edited by raspritz; 07-27-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:20 PM
Crandy
Track Day

Originally Posted by raspritz
What the Iceman is getting at is that posts like yours come up here about once per month, and while your wish to get your old man's car back might be admirable, it isn't realistic. The good news is that people don't junk Porsche's, and it's probably still out there. The bad news is that there really is no way to trace a car based on so limited information. Your only real hope is to do a VIN search on the website of each state DMV. But remember that the owner's information is private, just like yours is. Searching that car on the CO DMV site, all it says is that it has not been reported as stolen. But even if you somehow find it, why would anyone sell it to you? You hire a detective and he somehow finds that car. In 2005 your dad sold that '70E in fair condition for maybe $8,000. Or less. Meanwhile, classic Porsche prices have become stratospheric, and over the past 15 years it's become somebody else's pride and joy. Maybe somebody restored it at a cost of maybe $75,000. Maybe more. Now in excellent condition it's worth $125,000. Having spent a year tracking down the owner, you now call the owner out of the blue, invading his privacy, and you offer $50,000 because it's your dear old dad's former car. Do you see Iceman's point?

Somebody should post a sticky: "What if you're looking for your old family car?"

That sticky is a fantastic idea! I would love to see what tools others have used as well as hear the good or bad stories. Most probably turn up nothing, so maybe those stories would be a bit boring.

And yes, I understand Iceman's response. He edited it since I responded to include his final point, which is a good one. And one I think is common sense, so I would totally understand someone hanging up on me if I didn't understand it. Obviously 911 prices are higher than 2005. And obviously a 70 E is not going for $50k unless it's in terrible condition. My intent would be to see where it is and make a strong offer above FMV, and if they say no, then I simply ask them to give me a call whenever they consider selling. I'm not trying to get someone to pity me and sell me a car they may love, but if the owner is interested in turning a profit, I'm willing to pay up.

Apologies for asking a dumb question on here; I thought it was worth a shot. I basically only use Rennlist for troubleshooting and classifieds, so I hadn't realized how common this was.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:32 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

You could head over to the Early Esses site and PM Davep. He is keeper of the VIN record, and he at least can tell you if that VIN is in his database or not.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:35 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

I don’t think it is such a dumb question myself. Figure by now most owners of these cars are enthusiasts and wouldn’t mind talking to a previous owner. But I f you start out with “I want your car”, you will probably get the “click”. Also keep in mind that people get approached all the time by dealers and flippers that will lie and say just about anything to get the owner to sell to them.

Have you Googled the VIN? Sometimes that will at least locate a recent sale.

Do you have any photos of the car? I’m sure a current owner would be interested, plus it helps you prove your story and that your not a dealer.

If you find the owner and they don’t want to sell, you at least want this to be a pleasant conversation so maybe they will call you when they do want to sell. You obviously don’t want to come across as a d*ck, but sounds like you realize that.

Mark
Old 07-27-2020, 01:58 PM
Crandy
Track Day

Oh, photos are a good idea! I can definitely track down photos of that thing.

No luck via google, yet. Haven't tried any paid VIN searches, as I think they only work for post-1981 VINs anyway.

Honestly, if the owner doesn't want to sell, I would totally understand. But I would also hate the idea of buying myself a longhood before trying to get this one.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by raspritz
What the Iceman is getting at is that posts like yours come up here about once per month, and while your wish to get your old man's car back might be admirable, it isn't realistic. The good news is that people don't typically junk Porsche's, and it's probably still out there. The bad news is that there really is no way for a private citizen (versus the FBI) to trace a car based on so limited information. Your only real hope is to do a VIN search on the website of each state DMV. But remember that the owner's information is private, just like yours is. Searching that car on the CO DMV site, all it says is that it has not been reported as stolen. But even if you somehow find it, why would anyone sell it to you? You hire a detective and he somehow finds that car. Let's say that in 2005 your dad sold that '70E in maybe fair condition for maybe $8,000. Or less. Meanwhile, classic Porsche prices have become stratospheric, and over the past 15 years it's become somebody else's pride and joy. Maybe somebody restored it at a cost of maybe $75,000. Maybe more. Now in excellent condition it's worth $125,000. Having spent a year tracking down the owner, you now call the owner out of the blue, invading his privacy, and you offer $50,000 because it's your dear old dad's former car. Do you see Iceman's point?

well said .. some of us use a fine scalpel very well, others less skilled in this area just use a chain saw
Old 07-27-2020, 02:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Crandy
Oh, photos are a good idea! I can definitely track down photos of that thing.

No luck via google, yet. Haven't tried any paid VIN searches, as I think they only work for post-1981 VINs anyway.

Honestly, if the owner doesn't want to sell, I would totally understand. But I would also hate the idea of buying myself a longhood before trying to get this one.
That's fair, like i said if a previous owner contacted me to take pics or even go for a ride in it , i would love that, its a win win, they get to see the car again and i would learn more about the cars history, but buyng it ? i dunno !!!
Old 07-27-2020, 04:30 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Never understand why people go out of their way to discourage others on forums. If you dont like the topic just move to the next thread. Nobody really needs to hear what a bad idea they have proposed and how you think it is stupid.
I like threads like this. Would be awesome if someone found what they were looking for. Wish the OP best of luck.

My dad had a 1983 Mercedes 300TD he bought new and picked up at the factory in Germany. I was nine when he got it. It was his pride and joy for many years and he sold it around 2000. Just so happened that exact car ended up in the parking lot of a vacation place I had in about 2012 nowhere close to where my dad had sold it. I spoke with the owner when I caught him in the parking lot one time and he pulled out the notebook my dad had kept of all the maintenance and such. It was an amazing coincidence. My dad came for a visit and was reunited with his old car. It was now 3 owners removed from him. He didnt want it back or anything but sure enjoyed seeing it. You never know what you might come across.
The following 2 users liked this post by wareaglescott:
gavonder (07-27-2020), oldskewel (07-30-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 07:50 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

Not a dumb question and would be cool if you were able to find it and cooler if you were able to buy it. No harm in the hunt.

Regarding the " phone click" - I have tracked down people whos cars I have purchased. I have contacted Original owners who had a car for 35 -40 years. I have been surprised at the lack of interest in speaking with me. I think they made the emotional decision to sell and cut the cord. Although one will be in my state next year and wants to see his old car.

You may want to post on EarlyS, good luck in your search
Old 07-28-2020, 12:13 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

OP,
If you are in the US it is really easy! Hire a descent PI (a couple of hundred bucks) and a good one will find the car in less than 24 hrs. (Unless if the car was scrapped or off road for many years.). EVERYTHING is in various databases and the person with the right network will find it easy. NO internet BS.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:57 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Popped vin in ca smog database. Even tho it’s not required the car looks to be registered here in one of the enhanced areas which means bigger cities. Likely still SoCal.

hire magnum.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:34 AM
Crandy
Track Day

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Popped vin in ca smog database. Even tho it’s not required the car looks to be registered here in one of the enhanced areas which means bigger cities. Likely still SoCal.

hire magnum.
Fantastic intel! Thank you. Time to get Magnum on the phone.

Quick Reply: Trying to find an old family car