Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Trying to find an old family car

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 02:25 PM
Keith Guidus
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

GOOD LUCK with the search! Keep us up to date!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2020, 02:37 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

there is not a current record of its registration, but you can start by remembering where the person lived to whom it was sold. Then you hire a title clerk in that state to check the historical records. If it was finally sold to another state then you have to start all over again with a title clerk in that state
Old 08-02-2020, 11:45 AM
450slman
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, for one, enjoy hearing these types of stories. Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 08-05-2020, 01:45 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

the vin is certainly not in the federal data base of titles, I just checked. THAT means that it probably no longer has a registered title but rather just a license registration, so must be tracked state by state starting with its last known registered state. You can hire a state title clerk to trace the records
Old 08-05-2020, 04:44 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by dr914
the vin is certainly not in the federal data base of titles, I just checked. THAT means that it probably no longer has a registered title but rather just a license registration, so must be tracked state by state starting with its last known registered state. You can hire a state title clerk to trace the records
This is interesting; I stand to learn something here. What is the federal database of titles? How can you have a license registration without a title? In Colorado, you can have a title without a license registration (e.g. my racecar), but not the other way around.

EDIT: So, I learned something. NMVTIS. But only 45 states participate.

Last edited by raspritz; 08-05-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:55 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

I like these kinds of stories too. I wouldn't be offended if an original owner called and inquired about buying my aircooled car, and on some days I probably would let it go. Would be kind of bummed if it happened on my GT3, because I'd probably have to cut it loose for an offer over FMV (I'm not a rich old curmudgeon like some on here) ..... but then I'd just be shopping for another one, and not sure the extra $10k (or whatever) in my pocket would seem worth it.

Anecdotally, a friend of mine had a 996 GT3, and was approached by the original owner wanting to purchase the car back. Friend's response was something along the lines of; It's not going to be inexpensive. Original owner basically said he didn't want to haggle about money, he just wants his car back. Done deal. So it can happen.

I take it you have no record of the person who bought it from your dad? It's easier to run up the list of previous owners than it is to look for a needle in a haystack nationwide.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:13 AM
Crandy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all very helpful; I appreciate everyone's input. I have struggled with a couple different PIs who balk at chasing down a car in California. Hopefully I am able to uncover somebody able to support. I do intend to try to dig through my parents' records to see who we sold it to back in the day, as that feels like a good path. I would imagine that information is written down somewhere.

Also going to try to engage a title clerk today; work has really gotten in the way of more fun adventures.

Quick Reply: Trying to find an old family car