1974 911 Targa - color change and backdate

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 12:54 PM
pfleroy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 911 Targa - color change and backdate

New member here.

To start, I know this is a tired subject matter, but let's kick off Friday with a good old - keep it authentic versus do whatever you want with you car debate.

Subject - 1974 911 Targa, Guards Red, 2.7 S spec rebuilt engine, no rust

I recently locked horns with a guard rail in CA and it leaves me in a somewhat interesting position. To fix the damage and keep the color, guards red, or arbitrage the insurance money and think about backdating and either keeping or changing the color.

There are some amazing early 911 colors I'm thinking about - Tangerine, signal yellow, signal orange, albert blue, viper, to name a few.

http://www.356-911.com/modelinfo/911...olours7173.htm

if you could buy/paint any early 911, what color would you pick? And, what color do you think has the best resell value? Just in case I get over my head and have to sell the car.

Can't figure out how to attach pictures of my car.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:20 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist! I guess it depends on how bad the damage is. If the nose is damaged, then it may be an easier decision. I know the consensus seems to be that Guards Red is no longer in style and there are too many cars in that color, but I've actually been liking it more. I think it works best with the short hoods, though.

Here is another color resource: https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...ourcharts911f/
And this one is pretty cool: https://www.rennbow.org/ Select the year, get the color palette, click on the color and get photos of cars in that color.

I really like tangerine. I don't like viper green that much, but irish green and forest green are pretty nice. Also check out this thread, a pretty spectacular metallic green: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...n-project.html

Keep us posted. Post some photos - if you have them on your PC, you can upload them directly. Or if hosted online, you can post a link to the URL. It may be easier to click on Go Advanced, instead of Quick Reply. Here is the FAQ: https://rennlist.com/forums/faq.php?...b3_attachments

Mark

Old 07-12-2020, 06:15 PM
pfleroy
Track Day

Mark,

Great resources.

The front left fender will be replaced and so will the front bumper. I called several high end classic car dealerships and they said they would change the color. No one for some reason is interested in guards red or any red of the matter. So, it seems from an investment perspective I should change the color, and really from my own enjoyment. The car is very original and there's something to be said for just fixing the damage. I came across this 911 video on youtube, start around 5:20. They took a 78 SC and backdated and changed the color to signal yellow. The chrome pops and the execution is outstanding, imo.

Last edited by pfleroy; 09-07-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:15 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

outlaw
Old 07-13-2020, 02:40 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

great "opportunity" to backdate to the look of an early car and change the color to something besides "cop attractant red"
The following users liked this post:
pfleroy (07-14-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 05:28 PM
pfleroy
Track Day

I took the plunge and decided to backdate and change the color.

Trying to decide between - signal yellow, tangerine, albert blue, and metallic slate grey.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:54 PM
Nate2046
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by pfleroy
I took the plunge and decided to backdate and change the color.

Trying to decide between - signal yellow, tangerine, albert blue, and metallic slate grey.
Im not a fan of backdating, but that’s just me. As to color, I’d strongly suggest going with a non metallic. 99% of modern cars are painted in metallics. You’re going for a retro look and a solid color will convey that so much better. Original, ‘Steve McQueen’, Slate Grey is such a gorgeous color, it’d be a crime to ruin it with metal flake.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:00 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by pfleroy
New member here.

To start, I know this is a tired subject matter, but let's kick off Friday with a good old - keep it authentic versus do whatever you want with you car debate.

Subject - 1974 911 Targa, Guards Red, 2.7 S spec rebuilt engine, no rust

I recently locked horns with a guard rail in CA and it leaves me in a somewhat interesting position. To fix the damage and keep the color, guards red, or arbitrage the insurance money and think about backdating and either keeping or changing the color.

There are some amazing early 911 colors I'm thinking about - Tangerine, signal yellow, signal orange, albert blue, viper, to name a few.

http://www.356-911.com/modelinfo/911...olours7173.htm

if you could buy/paint any early 911, what color would you pick? And, what color do you think has the best resell value? Just in case I get over my head and have to sell the car.

Can't figure out how to attach pictures of my car.
It is very hard to color change effectively without dismantling the car, and when you do it is never as good as repainting the same color and devalues the car. Because it is a targa it would not be worth back dating as all of the rs models were coupes. The only thing you may consider if the car had a damaged rear quarter is to weld on the two rear SC steel flares and repaint in guards red, then buy some eight inch fuchs wheels for the rear.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:35 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

it comes down to what you want, whether is is cost-effective when or if you sell or not

then there is the question of whether you can best get what you want by mods to this car or buying another car

generally, you may want to modify this car - things were different in the 1980s-90s when you could buy a longhood cheaply
Old 09-03-2020, 09:00 PM
racngrn
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Love Tangerine and any of the wild non metallic blues. Laguna Seca Blue is awesome. But back to your car and the photo. Ouch. I am with your thinking around a backdating project, with some Outlaw sprinkled in . Fun car. Steve
Old 09-04-2020, 10:52 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Albert blue! Add black retro seats with houndstooth inserts. The more time passed, the more I appreciated this combo in my first 911.

A backdated Targa is less common. Go for it.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:22 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

When you speak of a color change and mention the words "investment perspective" I think you need to tread very carefully.
A full color change done right is expensive. I just did it myself on my '79 SC. To do a color change properly is extremely labor intensive. Keep in mind you essentially need to entirely take the car apart including the wire harness to do it right. I have 674 hours of my own labor in my car and the paint shop put at least 500 of their own in stripping it down to bare metal, fixing a few items on the body and painting it. When you talk investment and color change a car that you open the front hood and see a different color or can find traces of the old color in the engine compartment or wherever is just a half done job and is not going to add any value to the car. Certainly not going to add any value that exceeds the cost it takes you to obtain that additional value.
I have way more expense in my car than I could sell it for. I knew that going in and was perfectly fine with that. If you are looking at money spent vs what it will be worth in my opinion you are going to have a very difficult time making a color change make any sense at all.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:26 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

Maybe this will help to a'sees' different colors

https://clients.automanager.com/0203...ntory?Framed=1
Old 09-05-2020, 09:50 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Wareaglescott is right on. To do a color change is a whole lot of work if you are going to do it correctly. Most don't bother. Those cars end up looking less than they were usually. The whole car really needs to come apart and be prepped right.

I have a '71 914-6 (original). Sadly it came from the factory in Metallic Gold- only 4 '71 914-6 came in that color. When I saw the color, it was clear to me why. Fortunately the 1st owner, (I am the 3rd) when the car was still almost new, changed it too black. That color change exemplified why color changes are usually a bad choice. The engine compartment remained gold, the interior floor remained gold. The jambs were shot black and maybe they spent a couple hours prepping and taping before shooting the color. Total crap job. Where ever there was a chip or scratch, gold glared back at you. I had the car completely disassembled and media blasted. Then we tackled the always present in old unrestored cars rust. The car was perfected in metal with no bondo and then shot in Glasurit Irish Green. It looks absolutely amazing everywhere you look. That is how to do a color change. But, yes, it is expensive and requires a pretty major commitment to the car. I do not regret it at all.

The following users liked this post:
HkPlinker (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 08:45 PM
pfleroy
Track Day

There's something about the depth of albert blue.

I'm flaring out the rear fenders so I want to make sure I pick the right color to accentuate the look.

Quick Reply: 1974 911 Targa - color change and backdate